What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Crush

Coach
I think its more complex than just a coach. Dennis said "what makes storm/broncs/roosters/sharks/parra/
cowboys stand apart is the coach. Firstly, I think that statement is true of bellamy. He is clearly a gun coach and I welcome him to the dragons in 2019.
Sharks and Parra I disagree that they have stronger coaches than anyone else. Those teams have not constantly been top 8 even. They just go up and down depending on their roster like every other club.
Roosters just have the coin to buy whoever they want and I don't think it is the coach that draws them to the club its the $. Robbo isn't an elite coach IMO.
Bennett has the record but always has the players too. Broncos must be nice to coach, knights not so much.

My point is that even though all those coaches are massive upgrades on our muppet McGregor, I don't think its the coach that sets those clubs apart ONLY. There are a number of factors involved and the biggest one is roster. You can argue that the coach makes the roster and I will accept that. But a lot of the time its just cold hard cash, look at Ben Hunt!

LINESPEED

Juniors
I think its more complex than just a coach. Dennis said "what makes storm/broncs/roosters/sharks/parra/
cowboys stand apart is the coach. Firstly, I think that statement is true of bellamy. He is clearly a gun coach and I welcome him to the dragons in 2019.
Sharks and Parra I disagree that they have stronger coaches than anyone else. Those teams have not constantly been top 8 even. They just go up and down depending on their roster like every other club.
Roosters just have the coin to buy whoever they want and I don't think it is the coach that draws them to the club its the $. Robbo isn't an elite coach IMO.
Bennett has the record but always has the players too. Broncos must be nice to coach, knights not so much.

My point is that even though all those coaches are massive upgrades on our muppet McGregor, I don't think its the coach that sets those clubs apart ONLY. There are a number of factors involved and the biggest one is roster. You can argue that the coach makes the roster and I will accept that. But a lot of the time its just cold hard cash, look at Ben Hunt!

Conservative coaches will always fail to get the best out of teams & players.
Conservatives close the world in around them
Youthful bright eyes turn to the dullness of McCrone's

Name one player whose talent Mary has recognised, developed and nurtured? Most go backwards or just leave in disbelief - fleeing the asylum?

Mary is an arch coservative who is way too cautious - in everything he does with a football team.

I really cannot see one positive in his coaching that is about winning football games?

He didn't play his first NRL game until he was 23, so blooding young talent is not in his DNA - he has a soft spot for journeymen.

Great coaches innovate, experiment & reinvent themselves and teams

- think on their feet, adapt tactics mid game, have great football brains - a plan B when things go awry.

Basic intelligence.
The punters in the grandstand are crying out for it!

Flaws in Mary that are manifest in his inability to think quickly with bench rotation - which was the laughing stock of the NRL this year.

Poor coaches always lose the pressure games - it's their trademark - and Mary has it in spades.

Players smell a coach's fear

And Mary's rank under pressure

They don't play for him.

He lacks the X-factor of a great coach, even the passion of a sometimes ordinary coach. FFS just listen to the lame duck personality of the press conferences. The blank expression.
No words.
Nothing.
Often just letters like 'D' !!

The heads down in the dressing room

WTF is going on at this club??

Crush

Coach

Name one player whose talent Mary has recognised, developed and nurtured? Most go backwards or just leave in disbelief - fleeing the asylum?

Mary is an arch coservative who is way too cautious - in everything he does with a football team.

I really cannot see one positive in his coaching that is about winning football games?

He didn't play his first NRL game until he was 23, so blooding young talent is not in his DNA - he has a soft spot for journeymen.

- think on their feet, adapt tactics mid game, have great football brains - a plan B when things go awry.

Basic intelligence.

Flaws in Mary that are manifest in his inability to think quickly with bench rotation - which was the laughing stock of the NRL this year.

Poor coaches always lose the pressure games - it's their trademark - and Mary has it in spades.

They don't play for him.

He lacks the X-factor of a great coach, even the passion of a sometimes ordinary coach. FFS just listen to the lame duck personality of the press conferences. The blank expression.
No words.
Nothing.

Yes I agree he has been way too conservative. His player selections have been pathetic and based on his self preservation. "140 game veteran" GET F#@*ED! I also hate how he uses terms like "International" when refering to players like Au Mau and Lafai. Give me a break. Stop talking BS Mary. They are fringe first graders. Selecting McCrone in 2017 destroyed our season. If he even thinks about playing nightingale at fullback this year for even one game I will lose it.

Yeah Brad Arthur is amazing.
2014 10th
2015 12th
2016 14th
2017 4th
Thats some record. So what makes Parra stand apart from the others is the coach? You sure it wasn't that their roster was better in 2017?
Crush - you have also omitted the fact that in 2016 Parramatta were docked 12 competition points for salary breaches.
Even so, they finished 3rd last on 18 points.
Add back the 12 competition points and they comfortably make the 8.
When you consider they had nothing to paly for in 2016, they showed enormous improvement under Brad Arthur.
So, 2 years to sort out the mess and to recruit, notional 8th in 2016 and 4th in 2017.
The also gave the ultimate premiers an almighty fright in the semis this year going down 18-16 while being the better team.
That is measurable and real improvement in my book.
During Arthur's tenure Parramatta have also handed us some almighty floggings and made us look second rate. We can't seem to beat them.
I am happy to discuss Brad Arthur's coaching credentials but let's get fair dinkum first.

Crush

Coach
Crush - you have also omitted the fact that in 2016 Parramatta were docked 12 competition points for salary breaches.
Even so, they finished 3rd last on 18 points.
Add back the 12 competition points and they comfortably make the 8.
When you consider they had nothing to paly for in 2016, they showed enormous improvement under Brad Arthur.
So, 2 years to sort out the mess and to recruit, notional 8th in 2016 and 4th in 2017.
The also gave the ultimate premiers an almighty fright in the semis this year going down 18-16 while being the better team.
That is measurable and real improvement in my book.
During Arthur's tenure Parramatta have also handed us some almighty floggings and made us look second rate. We can't seem to beat them.
I am happy to discuss Brad Arthur's coaching credentials but let's get fair dinkum first.
I actually forgot about them getting docked points in 2016.
OK, he's doing well then.

Basic intelligence.

They don't play for him.

No words.
Nothing.

On point - great summary of our current malaise.
Hard to believe that we seem handcuffed to McGregor and no one has the balls to make the one change that may change our fortunes.

LINESPEED

Juniors
On point - great summary of our current malaise.
Hard to believe that we seem handcuffed to McGregor and no one has the balls to make the one change that may change our fortunes.

And the really frightening utterance has come from Graham, who said, after his transfer discussions with Mary, that "this in now McGregor's team" ( I kid you not!!)
What poor judgement must Doust have, to pin his security and legacy on a dithering idiot like Mary??

merahputih

Juniors

Basic intelligence.

They don't play for him.

No words.
Nothing.

Great summation of Mary's status as an NRL coach. I might stick my 20c worth in by saying that he and Hornby and Dean Young are a product of the sheltered workshop coaching structure at our club: the common thread running through it is lack of any real experience gained, either under a top coach like Bennet, Bellamy, etc or even ESL. This comes down to either incompetency of management or a "jobs for the boys"culture. Spending a bucket of money on Ben Hunt and James Graham may improve our performance but I don't think the coaching smarts are there for a premiership even with a pretty fair roster.

And the really frightening utterance has come from Graham, who said, after his transfer discussions with Mary, that "this in now McGregor's team" ( I kid you not!!)
What poor judgement must Doust have, to pin his security and legacy on a dithering idiot like Mary??
Graham has to tow the club line and be positive about McGregor.
Maybe he means it's McGregor's Team to stuff up.
JDB's interview was closer to the truth.
He was "hopeful" of a better year this year.
I am also hopeful but, like you, I have absolutely no confidence in McGregor.
Merahputih also makes a scary point that they are lining up Hornby and Young as a succession plan.
If that is really the plan, no premierships for a very long time to come.
The whole process of appointing a coach is just a total disgrace in this club.
Incompetence personified.

We did have a coach that could have taken our team to a new level.
JD should have been retained.
But he was probably not part of the boys club.
If young and Hornsby are to become our coach then our club is in serious trouble.
Scary thought - Hornby and Young matching wits with the likes of Bellamy, Green, Flanagan, Arthur, Robinson, Cleary and even Barrett.
JD would've had us coasting into the finals last year and improving this year with the addition of Hunt in particular.
Oh well - there is not a lot we can do now.

LINESPEED

Juniors
Great summation of Mary's status as an NRL coach. I might stick my 20c worth in by saying that he and Hornby and Dean Young are a product of the sheltered workshop coaching structure at our club: the common thread running through it is lack of any real experience gained, either under a top coach like Bennet, Bellamy, etc or even ESL. This comes down to either incompetency of management or a "jobs for the boys"culture. Spending a bucket of money on Ben Hunt and James Graham may improve our performance but I don't think the coaching smarts are there for a premiership even with a pretty fair roster.

These guys were water boys FFS!
Bennett shafted Mary straight up

Just off topic for a sec.....wouldn't it be more productive to spread the talent a bit -
& separate our pair of running playmakers in Widdop & Hunt?
Marshall & Widdop didn't meld. Widdop's game fell away.
That's why, like Bennett, I think we'd better utilise Widdop now at fullback - who, unlike Dugan, can throw a cutout pass to a winger and look for support after a break??

Crush

Coach
These guys were water boys FFS!
Bennett shafted Mary straight up

Just off topic for a sec.....wouldn't it be more productive to spread the talent a bit -
& separate our pair of running playmakers in Widdop & Hunt?
Marshall & Widdop didn't meld. Widdop's game fell away.
That's why, like Bennett, I think we'd better utilise Widdop now at fullback - who, unlike Dugan, can throw a cutout pass to a winger and look for support after a break??
Who would you play at 6?

LINESPEED

Juniors
Who would you play at 6?

Field or Mann if properly developed and handled - and depending on their preseason.
There could be some positional flexibility I guess. But innovation is not in the Mc Gregor lexicon, so it won't happen.
It'd require a coach like Bellamy to bring out the best in these guys and the team.
My guess is we'll lose most of our young talent to other clubs.

Banjo2014

Juniors
Some of McGregor's Classic Quotes:-

Pre Season:- "I want all the kids to copulate me." (on the need to be a role model)

After round 6 - with 5 wins and a loss:- “Nobody in rugby league should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

After round 7 last year (Win against Cowboys):- "My career was sputtering until I did a 360 and got headed in the right direction."

After round 8 tight loss to Roosters:- "Ninety percent of the game is half mental."

After round 14 (Loss to Dogs):- We must have had 99 per cent of the match. It was the other three per cent that cost us."

Round 15 Pre Match against the Eels:- "Well, either side could win it, or it could be a draw."

After round 17 last year (Dragons disasterous loss to Titans):- "Sometimes they write what I say, not what I mean."

After Round 20's win against Manly 52 -20 speaking about Gareth Widdop:- “Gareth can go right, he can go left, he's amphibious.”

After round 22 last year tight loss to the rabbits:- Questioned about the refereeing:- "We're not attempting to circumcise rules."

After the loss in the final round (Dogs 26-20):- “I ain't gonna be no escape-goat!"

When pressed:- "Don't say I don't get along with my players. I just don't get along with some of the guys on the team."

When asked how he treats the team:- "I treat them like men. I let them wear earrings."

On the end of season trip away:- "Therapy can be a good thing; it can be therapeutic"

"Fade into Bolivian, I guess." (his response to what he'd do if his contract was terminated)

Some of McGregor's Classic Quotes:-

Pre Season:- "I want all the kids to copulate me." (on the need to be a role model)

After round 6 - with 5 wins and a loss:- “Nobody in rugby league should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

After round 7 last year (Win against Cowboys):- "My career was sputtering until I did a 360 and got headed in the right direction."

After round 8 tight loss to Roosters:- "Ninety percent of the game is half mental."

After round 14 (Loss to Dogs):- We must have had 99 per cent of the match. It was the other three per cent that cost us."

Round 15 Pre Match against the Eels:- "Well, either side could win it, or it could be a draw."

After round 17 last year (Dragons disasterous loss to Titans):- "Sometimes they write what I say, not what I mean."

After Round 20's win against Manly 52 -20 speaking about Gareth Widdop:- “Gareth can go right, he can go left, he's amphibious.”

After round 22 last year tight loss to the rabbits:- Questioned about the refereeing:- "We're not attempting to circumcise rules."

After the loss in the final round (Dogs 26-20):- “I ain't gonna be no escape-goat!"

When pressed:- "Don't say I don't get along with my players. I just don't get along with some of the guys on the team."

When asked how he treats the team:- "I treat them like men. I let them wear earrings."

On the end of season trip away:- "Therapy can be a good thing; it can be therapeutic"

"Fade into Bolivian, I guess." (his response to what he'd do if his contract was terminated)
We are stuck with an intellectual giant!
Lights on, Nobody's home.