What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

blacksafake

First Grade
So far so good. I’ve no doubt Hunt, Graham & Widdop now that he has some fellow leaders has also played a part. The use of the bench has been a big improvement, especially the use of Mann as a 3rd point of attack . The big test will be when the wheels start falling off, how L plate responds. Let’s hope he’s learned his lesson.

Great to see the team is 4 from 4

Enjoyed Mary's press conference because of several comments:

1) Red V demands success and has high expectations irrespective of who plays in the halves

2) On field game management and key decision making of Hunt has made the difference, result being Widdop can simply play his own game

3) He acknowledges that he is still learning

4) The middle forwards are dominating

5) The team is apparently statistically more fit than last year

6) The team has attitude, and is not getting carried away with this early success.

7) Graham is setting the standard for effort and the 1 percenters

8) The younger players are improving/maturing

9) We have better quality squad

10) We have better depth of squad

His on field coaching staff may well get him a contract extension.

If he loses a half for an extended period, we will see how much he has learned from his previous mistakes, and whether he has improved as a coach.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Hold the phone please......there will be no sackings!! We have a team folks!
Whatever Mary has done so far, I'm liking it. I do feel that Ben Hunt & Gaz Widdop are completely running the attacking show and have been given the green light.
James Graham has really put the steel in our pack and has made a huge difference with his inspirational leadership up front and setting the benchmark.
Lastly, injuries have played a very important part so far, as we have had zero. The tide will turn eventually and the team will truely be tested.
It's a great start but a long and hard road ahead. Go the Dragons:v:

Great to see the team is 4 from 4

Enjoyed Mary's press conference because of several comments:

1) Red V demands success and has high expectations irrespective of who plays in the halves

2) On field game management and key decision making of Hunt has made the difference, result being Widdop can simply play his own game

3) He acknowledges that he is still learning

4) The middle forwards are dominating

5) The team is apparently statistically more fit than last year

6) The team has attitude, and is not getting carried away with this early success.

7) Graham is setting the standard for effort and the 1 percenters

8) The younger players are improving/maturing

9) We have better quality squad

10) We have better depth of squad

His on field coaching staff may well get him a contract extension.

If he loses a half for an extended period, we will see how much he has learned from his previous mistakes, and whether he has improved as a coach.
Nice post but would still prefer a coach who isn't "learning".
This is St. George not an apprentice's workshop.
There was not good reason for us to have McGregor learning to be a FG coach at the expense of the team's progress and success.
Love what's happening and the football on show but McGregor is not the mastermind.

I could coach this team. I previously said that I would not have wanted to coach our team until this year.

I am not going to say that Mary is now a better coach, he just has better cattle than he has ever had before.

Not sure.
McGreagor this year has given a lie to the new belief that you have to have a ball playing fullback.
By simply allowing Hunt and Widdop to play together it's proved you don't need that "superstar" fullback running the play.

It seems simple, and "old school" but no other coach has thought to go back to it yet.

But still, yeah, Sack McGreagor.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Unfortunately we have seen starts similar to this in his tenure. Happy how we are travelling and what has been displayed thus far but it is still to early for me to forgive past failures and excuses. The manner in which he was appointed and retained is still a sore point. I'll reserve judgement on his performance until season end.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Unfortunately we have seen starts similar to this in his tenure. Happy how we are travelling and what has been displayed thus far but it is still to early for me to forgive past failures and excuses. The manner in which he was appointed and retained is still a sore point. I'll reserve judgement on his performance until season end.

Ok BrissyRedV...... you make a valid point waiting till end of season but can we offer him a contract upgrade in June?

PS - This post has been ghostwritten by Oust Doust.

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
Yep I will go “all in” when we win a comp. I’m a crusty old head with a long memory. 4 swallows don’t make a summer but I for one will shake the guys hand if he can win the bloody thing - he has the team so now must perform.

ouryears

Bench
4 games does not make up for YEARS of misery.
If we make the top 4, then I will get over it and not call for his sacking.
But after 4 games you expect me to forget and forgive?
One month of football... versus years!
Not me.
Sack the nugget.

Last edited:

Frank Facer

First Grade
Just consider how many times coaches have been rated one of the best in the game, then a few years later, for them be unwanted. I will give you all a quick list off the top of my head

Brian Smith taking Easts to a GF in 2010 then unwanted by 2012

Tim Sheens taking Wests to week 3 of the semis in 2010, unwanted by 2012

Chris Anderson winning a comp with Melbourne in 1999, then unwanted by 2003.

Des Hasler winning the comp with Manly in 2011, unwanted by 2017

Ted Glossop winning a comp with Canterbury in 1980, then being NSW coach in the early 80's, unwanted by 88.

Michael Maguire winning a comp with Souths in 2014, unwanted by 2017.

If Brisbane fail to make the semis like I think they will, then Wayne Bennett may be unwanted by the end of the year.

Do good coaches suddenly become bad coaches?

Jack Gibson had a philosophy to only stay at a club for 3 years. It may have had something to do with clubs getting stale with the same coach, maybe that a club needs an injection of new ideas, maybe familiarity breeds contempt, ie the players. Maybe it had something to do with not getting sacked? I will also add that with Gibson had a 77% win strike rate coaching Easts glamour team from 74 to 76, followed by a 48% strike rate coaching Souths from 78 to 79, followed by a 73% win strike rate at Parra from 81 to 83 and then a 43% strike rate coaching Cronulla from 85 to 87.

I am not too sure about having long term coaches. Bennett had a lot of success at Brisbane over a 20 year period, when he had a superior roster than all the other clubs. Bellamy has had a lot of success with Melbourne over a 15 year period, but he has also had some very good talent to build his team around. They are probably the only 2 coaches who have had long term success at one club. They are probably the 2 longest serving coaches at a single club.

I will also add that Bennett only stayed with us for 3 years, then next year we failed to make the semis. He only lasted 3 years of his 4 year contract with Newcastle and left them in disarray . Last year was his third year back at Brisbane and they look to be on the slide in his 4th year.

This will be 4 and half years for Mary at our club. Maybe it is time for a new coach.

Just a bit of food for thought.

Last edited:
Just consider how many times coaches have been rated one of the best in the game, then a few years later, for them be unwanted. I will give you all a quick list off the top of my head

Ted Glossop winning a comp with Canterbury in 1980, then being NSW coach in the early 80's, unwanted by 88.

If Brisbane fail to make the semis like I think they will, then Wayne Bennett may be unwanted by the end of the year.

Jack Gibson had a philosophy to only stay at a club for 3 years. It may have had something to do with clubs getting stale with the same coach, maybe that a club needs an injection of new ideas, maybe familiarity breeds contempt, ie the players. Maybe it had something to do with not getting sacked? I will also add that with Gibson had a 77% win strike rate coaching Easts glamour team from 74 to 76, followed by a 48% strike rate coaching Souths from 78 to 79, followed by a 73% win strike rate at Parra from 81 to 83 and then a 43% strike rate coaching Cronulla from 85 to 87.

I am not too sure about having long term coaches. Bennett had a lot of success at Brisbane over a 20 year period, when he had a superior roster than all the other clubs. Bellamy has had a lot of success with Melbourne over a 15 year period, but he has also had some very good talent to build his team around. They are probably the only 2 coaches who have had long term success at one club. They are probably the 2 longest serving coaches at a single club.

I will also add that Bennett only stayed with us for 3 years, then next year we failed to make the semis. He only lasted 3 years of his 4 year contract with Newcastle and left them in disarray . Last year was his third year back at Brisbane and they look to be on the slide in his 4th year.

This will be 4 and half years for Mary at our club. Maybe it is time for a new coach.

Great insight FF but that brings us to our situation.
Unlike the glory and unwanted brigade, we have lurched from one coaching disaster to another since Bennett.
We also seem to reward failure and poor results.
I would be happy if we had a similar attitude as Canterbury, Easts and Souths.
They demand success and are willing make important decisions regarding their coaches in order to change their fortunes.
Coaches also compliment rosters and create winning cultures and chemistry.

It’s a good point.
Especially in the cases of Hasler and McGuire.
The modern coach is more a “man manager” in the soccer sense of the words.
They don’t really coach, they manage players to get the best out of them, this is especially true in the modern era where players read all their own press and start believing they are the next “Messenger“ or “Beetson”.........yes I’m looking at you Trent Merrin.

So like McGuire or Hasler they have early success when players respond to their management style, but sooner or later the players get used to their tricks and it becomes stale and no longer works to motivate players, it soon becomes the old “lost the dressing room” scenario.

Bennett is the perfect example. He gets players to play to the best of their ability by giving them a specific job to do and that’s it. Hornby is an example, no one could suggest he was a great halfback, but Bennet had him doing one job, pass the ball, get to the kick, and it worked.

So in the modern game 3 years is proberbly the life span of a coach

That being said, this is the Dragons so if Mary wins 5 out of the next 6 we will resign him for life.........and then miss the finals.

Latest posts