What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
l'd like to buy you a drink.................make that a few!
Hey mate - We can shout each other beers the Aussie way - I also follow your quotes and logic and generally agree with your insights.

Let’s Face facts. This club needs some business minded people that talk and think straight. That are not afraid of their shadow and know that they can earn a salary elsewhere and so have the courage to make tough decisions. Our Board belong in Tasmania.

Cronyism is a proven business model to certain failure. Some simple examples. In business, Sons rarely make good business leaders when their entrepreneurial dad hands over the reigns. In other start ups the founder invariably steps away and let’s a real business leader run the company once it get too complex.

LINESPEED

Juniors
No need to insert (sic) your vocabulary is just fine.

Neil Henry ouryears. Got effed off thanks to Hayne. Seriously, the loyalty around some of these clubs is diabolical. I'm not so naive to know it's a business these days. Shame though. I know I've ranted on about Union but some teams could learn a thing or two from a few teams. Guilty as well. I want McGregor gone. There you have it.
Ben Hunt goes down and the wheels fall off this wagon
... the team's line speed is holding up fingers crossed ... Someone out there was listening Mary
Is there any Plan B & depth preparation?
Go Dragons - I'll drink to 5-0 in the meantime!!

Last edited:

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
Does anyone have any insight into why WIN pulled out? I haven’t been in the country and so haven’t spoken to my insider but like Cleary debacle I bet there is some governance noises around “control”. I suspect financial distress also a large impediment to the deal.

Does anyone have any insight into why WIN pulled out? I haven’t been in the country and so haven’t spoken to my insider but like Cleary debacle I bet there is some governance noises around “control”. I suspect financial distress also a large impediment to the deal.

I'd imagine that it's a lot to do win the WIN television deal falling through, television stations at the moment do not make huge amounts of cash, regional ones less so.
So it's possible Bruce Gordon just dosnt have the disposable income he used to have.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Watch out we're coming up to renewal time in a few weeks (based on past) - the urgency is that we might lose him to another club....

Hey, why not ..................... he is a winning coach so that should get him up to double figures.
If he goes through the season undefeated and wins all his finals games by 40+ points, I'd consider keeping him on board for next year.

No extensions prior to October 2019, and thats only if we repeat that effort next year.

Your a hard but fair man.

Brutalitops

Juniors
You know what shits me? The argument that a great group of players could essentially do well even with no coach, and that our crop are doing all of this on their own.

Mary has proven himself incompetent in several areas over the years, but fmd some people here have absolutely zero perspective in how a footy team is run. It boggles the mind to see some try to pass off their hate-boner for Mary by saying "Yeah they're doing well but anybody could have done that with this group".

First of all, it's plain as day in the sheds when you see the players in the sheds talking to Mary. He is coaching a lot of what is making this side successful whether people like it or not. He was in a deep discussion with Ben Hunt last night that looked exactly like a player listening to and learning off his coach.

Secondly, I know Mary is not a recruitment manager, but he was instrumental in bringing Hunt to the club. Repeated meetings with Hunt throughout the year, both before and after he signed. Same goes for Graham, who mentioned he signed after a conversation with Mary in an interview last year. And the way he has utilised Hunt in this team has certainly shown up the "Master coach".

I should stop entering this thread because it always make me look like some massive Mary fan, but I'm really not. If we miss the 8 he should be sacked on the spot, 3 drop offs in 4 years will be impossible to come back from for him. But at least I can put aside any preconceptions I have and at least try to be objective. Mary is coaching better and smarter in 2018 than in 2017, we are a layered team with multiple plays and options, and reasonable depth. I am excited to see how we handle Origin and Denver test periods, as that will be Marys most important period as a coach so far.

I just hope that if we continue to do well, some people give him more credit. And if we don't, resume regular programming!

Bench
i think one reason we are doing well is Hunt and Graham. It appears that Graham is the mentor/coach of our forwards.
I think that Mary, as the coach would use Graham and Hunt in developing our forwards and halves.
I do know that if we didn’t have Hunt we would not be in the situation we are now in.
You have to applaud the way Dufty has been handled over the last two seasons bringing him slowly to first grade. I suspect Lomax is being handled in the same way.
Mary needs to be congratulated for our start for this year and hope it continues.

The calm one

Juniors
You know what shits me? The argument that a great group of players could essentially do well even with no coach, and that our crop are doing all of this on their own.

Mary has proven himself incompetent in several areas over the years, but fmd some people here have absolutely zero perspective in how a footy team is run. It boggles the mind to see some try to pass off their hate-boner for Mary by saying "Yeah they're doing well but anybody could have done that with this group".

First of all, it's plain as day in the sheds when you see the players in the sheds talking to Mary. He is coaching a lot of what is making this side successful whether people like it or not. He was in a deep discussion with Ben Hunt last night that looked exactly like a player listening to and learning off his coach.

Secondly, I know Mary is not a recruitment manager, but he was instrumental in bringing Hunt to the club. Repeated meetings with Hunt throughout the year, both before and after he signed. Same goes for Graham, who mentioned he signed after a conversation with Mary in an interview last year. And the way he has utilised Hunt in this team has certainly shown up the "Master coach".

I should stop entering this thread because it always make me look like some massive Mary fan, but I'm really not. If we miss the 8 he should be sacked on the spot, 3 drop offs in 4 years will be impossible to come back from for him. But at least I can put aside any preconceptions I have and at least try to be objective. Mary is coaching better and smarter in 2018 than in 2017, we are a layered team with multiple plays and options, and reasonable depth. I am excited to see how we handle Origin and Denver test periods, as that will be Marys most important period as a coach so far.

I just hope that if we continue to do well, some people give him more credit. And if we don't, resume regular programming!
Very well written post and I 100% agree. Well done

Bench
We have had a dream run so far, undefeated and no injuries. Mary will be tested around SOO and any injuries that are bound to happen during the season.
I think he has showed his hand with Latimore and Sele as far as forwards are concerned, but is there someone that could play in our halves, Mann should not be there.
That will test our Coach and if there is a plan B

I think you make a good summation of the current situation but I also think you don't really understand why there is such a negative attitude towards McGregor.
It has nothing to do with "Hating" the guy.
For me at least, I resent the way he was appointed - he was not the best choice by a long way and yet we were saddled with him at a time when the club should have been looking for the best possible coach available.
Secondly, because of his initial appointment, we have had to endure a clueless coach learning as he went along.
This is FG NRL not kindergarten for coaches.
St. George also happens to be one of the greatest clubs in Rugby League history.
The outcome was embarrassing and heartbreaking for the fans. I don't need to remind you of the last 2 seasons.
So fast forward to the first 6 rounds of 2018.
By all means let's give credit to McGregor for a stellar start to the season.
No one is denying that and I hope it continues to the end of the season.
Maybe that will give you a more balanced insight into how people feel.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
We have had a dream run so far, undefeated and no injuries. Mary will be tested around SOO and any injuries that are bound to happen during the season.
I think he has showed his hand with Latimore and Sele as far as forwards are concerned, but is there someone that could play in our halves, Mann should not be there.
That will test our Coach and if there is a plan B

Disagree wholeheartedly re: Mann.

The 'problem' with him playing in the halves (again) does not stem from inability, but rather the lack of consistency in allowing him to prove his worth in one position over an extended period of time.

Think about it. During his SGI tenure, Mann has played most of the time on the wing, but only a few games in the halves. Fullback was an even worse scenario; a brace of games then banished to reserve grade for two months,

His versatility, ironically, has been detrimental. Saying this, I'd give him a go at five-eighth should a worst possible case eventuate.

Latest posts