What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Brutalitops

Juniors
Has anyone been watching the press conferences lately?

Now I'm far from a McGregor believer just yet, but one thing I have noticed is he is really starting to speak like a coach and not like an ameteur. His reads of the game are good, he doesn't seem to deflect, and the best part?

He focuses on improvement in the team going forward. He doesn't just take a win, he expects more the next week.

He impressed me particularly against the Warriors conference. He was a coach proud of his team, but not frustrated and blank like losses last year

nontime111

Juniors
Marys just one of those coaches that seem to get better with time like a fine wine.....some have success in the first or 2nd year then fizzle, I think Marys ok, I wouldnt swap him the way the players seem to love playing for him you can see it all over the field there a tight super positive bunch now , if we can beat the Storm, which is our most important game for many years as far as Im concerned I think we would truly have finally turned the corner and every other team will be shaking in their boots

Frank Facer

First Grade
Marys just one of those coaches that seem to get better with time like a fine wine.....some have success in the first or 2nd year then fizzle, I think Marys ok, I wouldnt swap him the way the players seem to love playing for him you can see it all over the field there a tight super positive bunch now , if we can beat the Storm, which is our most important game for many years as far as Im concerned I think we would truly have finally turned the corner and every other team will be shaking in their boots
There is an old saying, A winning team, is a happy team.

Last edited:

Red V for life

Juniors
A few comments from within the camp have made me think a little this year.

I remember Hunt saying something along the lines of our style of play suiting him better than the Broncos and he bought into Mary’s vision of where he wanted to go.

Vaughan has spoken in glowing terms of his time here compared to what he experienced in Canberra. If I remember correctly he expressly mentioned the support and confidence Mary has given him.

We’ve got some good players who have been unhappy at their previous clubs thriving in a supportive environment not to mention our own players who are just going gang busters.

Mary has stated he has given the players the freedom to play what’s in front of them when they see something this year. Exhibit A the first try against the Roosters (how freaking awesome was that?). In short, the team is allowed to play football this year and how could any footballer not like that?

Our retention and recruitment has done an awesome job.

The synergy is there across the board. It can disappear as fast as it came and Mary isn’t my choice for long-term coach, but credit where it’s due and let’s hope it keeps going!

LINESPEED

Juniors
A few comments from within the camp have made me think a little this year.

I remember Hunt saying something along the lines of our style of play suiting him better than the Broncos and he bought into Mary’s vision of where he wanted to go.

Vaughan has spoken in glowing terms of his time here compared to what he experienced in Canberra. If I remember correctly he expressly mentioned the support and confidence Mary has given him.

We’ve got some good players who have been unhappy at their previous clubs thriving in a supportive environment not to mention our own players who are just going gang busters.

Mary has stated he has given the players the freedom to play what’s in front of them when they see something this year. Exhibit A the first try against the Roosters (how freaking awesome was that?). In short, the team is allowed to play football this year and how could any footballer not like that?

Our retention and recruitment has done an awesome job.

The synergy is there across the board. It can disappear as fast as it came and Mary isn’t my choice for long-term coach, but credit where it’s due and let’s hope it keeps going!
Hunt is saving Mary's bacon ATM & without him I reckon we'd've only won maybe half those games IMO.
Handing strategy to the senior players has worked so far - and I hope it takes us to a Grand Final. But a laissez-faire approach is hardly an endorsement of coaching IQ.
When I see intelligent bench rotation, a capacity to implement Plan B off the cuff, better transitioning of juniors - and a win over the bogey teams like the Bulldogs, I might believe things have changed beyond the acquisition of Benny.
Stay healthy mate - I hope Sims goes easy on you in Origin!!
Go Dragons!

ouryears

Bench
Hunt is saving Mary's bacon ATM & without him I reckon we'd've only won maybe half those games IMO.
Handing strategy to the senior players has worked so far - and I hope it takes us to a Grand Final. But a laissez-faire approach is hardly an endorsement of coaching IQ.
When I see intelligent bench rotation, a capacity to implement Plan B off the cuff, better transitioning of juniors - and a win over the bogey teams like the Bulldogs, I might believe things have changed beyond the acquisition of Benny.
Stay healthy mate - I hope Sims goes easy on you in Origin!!
Go Dragons!

Linespeed, halves save their teams every day of the week.

It's their job. Mary has Hunt doing his job.

Did Bennett? (Nope!)

There are many other parts to our success.

Hunt doesn't do all the tackling does he?

Perfect example was turning the roosters away set after set after set.

Cowboys have great halves, .....Hello!?

Hunt doesn't create all the tries, he should be creating many, and he is. He is doing his job.

Thankyou Mary.

I don't believe its a total laissez-faire approach.....but it's certainly not a control freak approach like Hasler, Madge and others who fail by not giving their players some freedom.

Even James Graham says it's refreshing playing for us.

Some credit belongs to our coach mate.

Bench
I have to agree that Mary is ticking quite a few boxes this year so far. A lot of praise must be given to our recruitment and to our fitness staff.
As someone mentioned that when looking at the team song this week the team looked fit and this was evident in the last 20 minutes where it was expected that after the short turnaround we would struggle. There was no evidence of that.
However, I think we need to improve the bench rotation to address the burnout, which will happen at some time in the year.
The bench needs to have some of our younger forwards and giving them some minutes off the bench.
I understand that might not be feasible as the year progresses. We should give Lomax time off the bench with a view of replacing Flo.
Overall everything is going ahead nicely. There just needs a couple of changes and this will put us back where the big red V should be.
With our younger first grade players I don’t see why we could not dominate for the next four or five years

denis preston

First Grade
I have to agree that Mary is ticking quite a few boxes this year so far. A lot of praise must be given to our recruitment and to our fitness staff.
As someone mentioned that when looking at the team song this week the team looked fit and this was evident in the last 20 minutes where it was expected that after the short turnaround we would struggle. There was no evidence of that.
However, I think we need to improve the bench rotation to address the burnout, which will happen at some time in the year.
The bench needs to have some of our younger forwards and giving them some minutes off the bench.
I understand that might not be feasible as the year progresses. We should give Lomax time off the bench with a view of replacing Flo.
Overall everything is going ahead nicely. There just needs a couple of changes and this will put us back where the big red V should be.
With our younger first grade players I don’t see why we could not dominate for the next four or five years
In regard to our younger players, hope you didn't witness the shit the Reggies produced today ! Mind you the saving grace is in some ways it is easier when you are playing with better players. It does highlight to me that having great juniors is great but acquisition still is more important.Credit to Basil for this so go find a speedy outside back & a front rower because we aint got any ready in the reggies.

to_ddeath

Coach
I'm waiting until we encounter injuries and how the squad adjusts during rep period without our strongest forwards...that is the next acid test for us.
Long long way from changing my original thoughts on McGregor overall.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I’d like to register a complaint.

McGregors performance this year has left this thread struggling to survive for which l’m duly concerned.

We members have contributed many hours in ridiculing Mary over a substained period of time ...... and for what?

Now he has the club sitting top of the table, we stand a reasonable chance of making the finals this year.

Well, l’m none too please about you know.

I may even have to cancel plans to taking the good lady to the tip on weekends in favour of watching the team with the big red V playing football in September!

It’s just not cricket!

Sack McGregor!!!!!

Gareth67

First Grade
A number of very good posts above each explaining the possible causes of the teams success or failure this season .
Also the value of having ready made replacements for the injuries which are bound to occur and of course the SOO period namely from our lower grade players .
The wheels have now been put into motion for season 2018 and one can only hope that our Mary would have learnt from his past mistakes and has the answers when the problems do appear , as that will undoubtedly be the biggest hurdle of all .