What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Carlton

Juniors
100% yes, I was out for Mary's blood last year ....and the year before. Big time.

And I am still apprehensive.

But I also think he is NOW doing his job and deserves to be supported by us all while he is going so well.

We can always revitalise the thread should things turn bad.

But I don't think it will go bad.

Things have turned.

I am really happy with the teams results so far and dont want anything to change too much.

The attack is dramatically better than last year, can anyone who watches training tell me who is taking the lead as attacking coach? It looks like there is a different hand in there.

to_ddeath

Coach
And hire who?
Hasler?
Mcguire?
Toovey?
You cracking jokes? Mcgregor bleeds red and white and the players are responding to what he's dishing up this year.. If UTS good enough for players like
Hunt
Vaughan
Graham
WIDDOP
To Come out in public and support the coaches methods is good enough for me if its good enough for them..

Bleeding red and white has been a problematic credential for us for quite some time now. Not a good start there mate, without trying to come across a tad OV-esque on you.

giboz71

First Grade
I am really happy with the teams results so far and dont want anything to change too much.

The attack is dramatically better than last year, can anyone who watches training tell me who is taking the lead as attacking coach? It looks like there is a different hand in there.

Or perhaps now we have a half and fullback who actually know how to play footy ?

Carlton

Juniors
Or perhaps now we have a half and fullback who actually know how to play footy ?

Could be, but I doubt these are the major contributors to the changes in attack. Hunt has made a huge difference but I believe Dufty is starting to improve as if someone is highlighting to him what he needs to fix. Dufty is not the reason the basic attacking structure and ethos has changed.

The amount of offloads, Nene stepping up, the switch of sides for Nene and Nighty, Simms running nice inlines and getting the short ball, McInness running more, Widdop allowing his half to do his job, not taking a one out forward hitup every time etc.

Last year (especially the second half of the year) the attack fluctuated between boring and frenetic with no real idea how they were going to cross the try line. This year so far they seem composed and look like they are working for an opportunity.

giboz71

First Grade
Could be, but I doubt these are the major contributors to the changes in attack. Hunt has made a huge difference but I believe Dufty is starting to improve as if someone is highlighting to him what he needs to fix. Dufty is not the reason the basic attacking structure and ethos has changed.

The amount of offloads, Nene stepping up, the switch of sides for Nene and Nighty, Simms running nice inlines and getting the short ball, McInness running more, Widdop allowing his half to do his job, not taking a one out forward hitup every time etc.

Last year (especially the second half of the year) the attack fluctuated between boring and frenetic with no real idea how they were going to cross the try line. This year so far they seem composed and look like they are working for an opportunity.

We weren’t terrible in attack last year. 5th best in terms of points scored.

So the changes you have mentioned have made all the difference. Nene switching sides, Hunt coming on board, Sims replacing Thommo, Dufty replacing Duges.

These have been enough to improve us. The changes in structures have been pre meditated by the change in personnel.

Bench
At this stage I don’t think Hasler, Toovey would be best fit for our team. I can’t deny that Hunt and Graham have made a hugh difference so I am going to sit back and enjoy the ride.

Carlton

Juniors

So the changes you have mentioned have made all the difference. Nene switching sides, Hunt coming on board, Sims replacing Thommo, Dufty replacing Duges.

These have been enough to improve us. The changes in structures have been pre meditated by the change in personnel.

You are twisting my words, I referred specifically to our attack in the second half of last year. Our one dimensional game plan provided points in the beginning of the year but was very unsuccessful in the back half.

Some of the changes have been possible because of the personnel changes but much of it looks like a fundamental change in the coaching philosophy.

Thommo ran great lines but was only really used as a decoy, this year the option of picking up the secondrower has been included, Widdop rarely used this option last year but is now employing it. Nene and Nighty were both in the team last year but this year they have swapped sides and this is helping Nene's confidence, this could have been employed last year but it wasn't. Widdop is no longer trying to control everything and is playing a more judicious game, Hunt allows this to happen but it is the change in Widdop's approach which is obviously coaching input. McInness was advised not to run the ball last year (cannot prove this just what I have heard) this year he is being encouraged to run. The forwards are running in pairs and the team as a whole are looking to offload. Last year it was one out stuff and the play was all based around set plays, no playing what was in front of you.

I agree personnel changes have had a good effect but I cant help feeling there is new coaching input going into the attack that wasn't there last year or didn't have much influence last year.

giboz71

First Grade
You are twisting my words, I referred specifically to our attack in the second half of last year. Our one dimensional game plan provided points in the beginning of the year but was very unsuccessful in the back half.

Some of the changes have been possible because of the personnel changes but much of it looks like a fundamental change in the coaching philosophy.

Thommo ran great lines but was only really used as a decoy, this year the option of picking up the secondrower has been included, Widdop rarely used this option last year but is now employing it. Nene and Nighty were both in the team last year but this year they have swapped sides and this is helping Nene's confidence, this could have been employed last year but it wasn't. Widdop is no longer trying to control everything and is playing a more judicious game, Hunt allows this to happen but it is the change in Widdop's approach which is obviously coaching input. McInness was advised not to run the ball last year (cannot prove this just what I have heard) this year he is being encouraged to run. The forwards are running in pairs and the team as a whole are looking to offload. Last year it was one out stuff and the play was all based around set plays, no playing what was in front of you.

I agree personnel changes have had a good effect but I cant help feeling there is new coaching input going into the attack that wasn't there last year or didn't have much influence last year.

I’m not disagreeing with you. Mary himself has stated he is still developing as a coach and he may have learnt a lot from last year in terms of his strategy.

But our squad now presents him with more options. I specifically pointed to the additions of Dufty and Hunt. Widdop is now more inclined to play his natutal 5/8 role rather than directing the team around. Backline plays are more slick as we don’t have a speed bump in Duges who mostly ended up dying with the ball.

These 2 simple changes can make all the difference. From all accounts, the coaching personnel hasn’t changed from last year has it?? It’s still Mary, Hornby and Head running things.

So I doublt these 3 guys over the course of 1 offseason have found the magical formula to attacking footy. They just have more weapons at their disposal.

Carlton

Juniors
I’m not disagreeing with you. Mary himself has stated he is still developing as a coach and he may have learnt a lot from last year in terms of his strategy.

But our squad now presents him with more options. I specifically pointed to the additions of Dufty and Hunt. Widdop is now more inclined to play his natutal 5/8 role rather than directing the team around. Backline plays are more slick as we don’t have a speed bump in Duges who mostly ended up dying with the ball.

These 2 simple changes can make all the difference. From all accounts, the coaching personnel hasn’t changed from last year has it?? It’s still Mary, Hornby and Head running things.

So I doublt these 3 guys over the course of 1 offseason have found the magical formula to attacking footy. They just have more weapons at their disposal.

The question about whether there has been some sort of change in the coaching is what I was trying to find out about. For me it looks like its been a change of coaching philosophy not just personnel changes. If you make the changes to players and coach them to play like last year you don't get the result we have at the moment.

You keep referring to play dying with Dugan but in all honesty it does not progress across the backline significantly better with Dufty. The ball is dying with Dufty fairly regularly also, did you see Dugan playing for the sharks week before last. Makes you wonder what instructions he was given by the coach when he was playing with us.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
At this stage I don’t think Hasler, Toovey would be best fit for our team. I can’t deny that Hunt and Graham have made a hugh difference so I am going to sit back and enjoy the ride.

Agreed, 2010 ....................... Road to the finals?????????

Takabisha.jpg

Looks like team Manly have just departed .............
top-10-most-dangerous-rides.jpg

giboz71

First Grade
The question about whether there has been some sort of change in the coaching is what I was trying to find out about. For me it looks like its been a change of coaching philosophy not just personnel changes. If you make the changes to players and coach them to play like last year you don't get the result we have at the moment.

You keep referring to play dying with Dugan but in all honesty it does not progress across the backline significantly better with Dufty. The ball is dying with Dufty fairly regularly also, did you see Dugan playing for the sharks week before last. Makes you wonder what instructions he was given by the coach when he was playing with us.

Do you recall when Nighty played fullback last year?? Even then, the backline flowed much better simply by the fact that Nighty knew how to shift the ball to the edges when required.

Dufty is far from the finished product but he has 4 try assists in 8 games and he knows how to feed his team mates. That number used to be a whole season for Duges.

As I say I’m not having an argument with you, but I highly doubt Mary and his coaches previously told us to attack like shit just for fun, and somehow magically they know how to attack.

If anything what he’s probably done is allowed the players with the requisite skills the freedom to use them. Dufty and Hunt have scored some fine individual tries this year (in addition to the feeding their team mates).

Those tries Duges and McCrone would have had no ability to score.

Carlton

Juniors
Do you recall when Nighty played fullback last year?? Even then, the backline flowed much better simply by the fact that Nighty knew how to shift the ball to the edges when required.

Dufty is far from the finished product but he has 4 try assists in 8 games and he knows how to feed his team mates. That number used to be a whole season for Duges.

As I say I’m not having an argument with you, but I highly doubt Mary and his coaches previously told us to attack like shit just for fun, and somehow magically they know how to attack.

If anything what he’s probably done is allowed the players with the requisite skills the freedom to use them. Dufty and Hunt have scored some fine individual tries this year (in addition to the feeding their team mates).

Those tries Duges and McCrone would have had no ability to score.

This is what I'm getting at, last year and the year before he was a control freak trying to tell players exactly how to play. Now we have players allowed to play whats in front of them. I just find it hard to believe that such a dramatic personality shift can voluntarily take place.

Old Timer

Coach
This is what I'm getting at, last year and the year before he was a control freak trying to tell players exactly how to play. Now we have players allowed to play whats in front of them. I just find it hard to believe that such a dramatic personality shift can voluntarily take place.
Hunt and Graham are huge in the scheme of things and no doubt have some real input as to what, where & when.
I think the first few games this year highlighted real change and had some very high quality ad - hoc footy but the last few games has seen us go back to some block plays and a repetitive attacking style and if not for some real moments of individual brilliance we might not be where we are.
How we play the next 4 games will reveal how much we have improved and if our style is sustainable.
I think Melbourne & Penrith are very good at unpicking other teams games plans.

Hunt and Graham are huge in the scheme of things and no doubt have some real input as to what, where & when.
I think the first few games this year highlighted real change and had some very high quality ad - hoc footy but the last few games has seen us go back to some block plays and a repetitive attacking style and if not for some real moments of individual brilliance we might not be where we are.
How we play the next 4 games will reveal how much we have improved and if our style is sustainable.
I think Melbourne & Penrith are very good at unpicking other teams games plans.

Wait, we have a game plan?
I thought it was just to tell Hunt to go out and play footy?

Lovemedragons

Juniors

so what was the logic in having the wingers on the other side last year? same players but opposite sides. always felt Nightingale does better on the right so why was it different last year? anyone know?

SBD82

Coach
so what was the logic in having the wingers on the other side last year? same players but opposite sides. always felt Nightingale does better on the right so why was it different last year? anyone know?
This has got me stumped too. I feel as though we May never know.

Whatever the reason, I think it has been proven wrong this year.

Latest posts