What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

I wouldn't say he "did a job on the Saints", he just did what any other coach in the game would do if they had the opportunity. He brought Darius to the Dragons with him and we were all good with that.....same thing really!
If the Dragons signed a new coach tomorrow and that coach was able to bring some real talent with him, i think everyone would be very happy.
As for the shape he left our club in, well, we could look at that in a few different ways. If a CEO offered a coach a 3 year contract (he wanted 5 but only got 3) with the mandate to win a premiership in those 3 years, it's pretty difficult for the coach to achieve his mandate and at the same time put a 5-10 year squad succession plan in place to pass on to the next coach.
I'm not having a go at your directly Slippery as your line of thinking is probably the general consensus among most Dragons supporters, it's just not one i necessarily agree with.
Bennett might have played a role in what happened post 2011, but the CEO, the clubs financial situation and the old boys brigade deserve to wear at least some of the brunt.

I'd agree with that.
Bennet didn't inherit a side to win a premiership, he inherited a bunch of players, Hornby, Young, Soward, etc that had perennially under performed and with the addition of a few old hard heads, Smith, Costigan, Darius etc, and got them to perform at a level they didn't think they were capable of.

When he left, sure Darius went with him, so did Scott and Costigan but how did his careers go after that.
Bennet assembled a squad to win a premiership in 3 years and that exactly what he did.

Sure, he left us with the anointed one in Steve Price, but I'm sure that was some sort of inside joke he never intended to be taken seriously.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I agree as it was not all Bennett's fault that is for sure. The CEO should have had a better succession plan in place if he only wanted 3 years out of him.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Bennett inherited a great side and lost game 1 in the semi's to the 8th placed Eels. If Mary makes Minor premiers he plays 4th placed side.

Mary has had to buiild his side as he inherited a squad from Supercoach Price. Bennett "liked what he had under the bonnet" when he inherited the squad from Browny. THose were his words.

Last night on Fox they had a Bennett 800 special and he actually did a job on the Saints after he left. He said comments like "I asked Beau Scott to come to the Knights.....", then for McKinnon "I thought he was a great player and asked him to come to the Knights......" So Bennett basically took our players without a care in the world. Pretty disrespectful I think. Happy to stay away from this bloke. Thanks Wayne for 2009 - 2011 but not for 2012 - 2017.....
And Bennett never took any players from Brisbane, except ones they didn't want to keep.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I wouldn't say he "did a job on the Saints", he just did what any other coach in the game would do if they had the opportunity. He brought Darius to the Dragons with him and we were all good with that.....same thing really!
If the Dragons signed a new coach tomorrow and that coach was able to bring some real talent with him, i think everyone would be very happy.
As for the shape he left our club in, well, we could look at that in a few different ways. If a CEO offered a coach a 3 year contract (he wanted 5 but only got 3) with the mandate to win a premiership in those 3 years, it's pretty difficult for the coach to achieve his mandate and at the same time put a 5-10 year squad succession plan in place to pass on to the next coach.
I'm not having a go at your directly Slippery as your line of thinking is probably the general consensus among most Dragons supporters, it's just not one i necessarily agree with.
Bennett might have played a role in what happened post 2011, but the CEO, the clubs financial situation and the old boys brigade deserve to wear at least some of the brunt.
Brisbane didn't want to keep Boyd.

st shaneoh

Juniors
I'd agree with that.
Bennet didn't inherit a side to win a premiership, he inherited a bunch of players, Hornby, Young, Soward, etc that had perennially under performed and with the addition of a few old hard heads, Smith, Costigan, Darius etc, and got them to perform at a level they didn't think they were capable of.

When he left, sure Darius went with him, so did Scott and Costigan but how did his careers go after that.
Bennet assembled a squad to win a premiership in 3 years and that exactly what he did.

Sure, he left us with the anointed one in Steve Price, but I'm sure that was some sort of inside joke he never intended to be taken seriously.
Sack mcmuppet now. Bring Wayne back

ouryears

Bench
Mary is insignificant.
He is doing just fine but isn't the reason for is being 9W 2L. That would be Hunt. Which you have to give Mary some credit for as he helped bring him to the club but Millward is more responsible than Mary perhaps.
Letting Dugan go, signing Hunt and Graham is the reason that we are doing well. Mary is doing a good job but he is no better than any other coach in the nrl (except Ricky Stuart).
#roster
He must be better than that Brad Arthur, and better than Paul Greene with the roster Greeny has!

And better than Bellamy with the SOO roster that smug coach has.

And the roosters.

Come think of it, we might have the next greatest coach known to man kind.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I want to apologise to all and sundry for not posting on here for several days.

I’ll try to forget that we are currently leading the comp but will check in again after we play the chocolate soldiers today.

It’s a pity that Rein is not still with them, l would of liked to have seen him.......... on the bench!