What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Old Timer

Coach
OoooooK
So you are a premiership or its a failure kinda guy, got it.
So are you of the opinion one shouldn’t reassess one’s expectations throughout the season?
Do you believe that whatever you say at the beginning of the season should be binding all the way to the end?
My position re a failure if we go out in straight sheets is predicated on many things, all the hype and carry on that comes from posters in here that talk it up and decry any cautious comments, the coach himself who loves the media attention and talks it up, the commentators who talk it up and tell everyone what a great coach he is and that we are the real deal, the fact that all this creates hope and expectation and if unfulfilled means we failed to meet all the hype and hoopla that goes with the season.
I never said we had to win the comp and I never said we had to win 2 games in the final I simply said IMO it would constitute a fail if we lost 2 semis and went out in straight sets from our current position.
If you can’t win semi final games then either you have the wrong roster or the wrong coach and that needs to be addressed or do you somehow think that we should all say yep we will be leading at the half way mark every year but we will fade away in the 2nd half if the season and never win anything but that’s ok and constitutes a good season?
On the basis that the squad can lead or be top 4 of the comp for the 1st half of a season for several years indicates to me we can play the game, so fading out and losing at the pointy end of the season indicated to me the tactics employed both on an off the field have ultimately failed us which to me indicates coaching issues.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
Didn't you have us missing the top 8 at the start of the season? If so, then making the top 4 would have to be over achieving in your eyes, wouldn't it? lol
Interesting concept.
At the beginning of the year one tries to best guess where we will come and that is somewhat predicated on what we think other teams will do
If anyone told you that Roosters would struggle with Cronk and that Melbourne would lose games without Cronk and both would appear vulnerable you wouldn’t have thought it likely.
To think that pre season heavyweights Eels & Cowboys would be so terrible was also somewhat unthinkable
To top that off, to imagine would be leading the comp all the way and at 1 stage could have been 2 games clear was certainly not really on anyone’s radar.
So the fact that one set the bar too high for other clubs indicates that we have most likely set the bar too low for our club and that becomes obvious as the season unfolds
So the fact that people interpret that what you guess at the beginning of the season is the difinitive answer to how you judge the end of the season IMO is flawed philosophy.
It indicates that we really didn’t know what would eventuate early on and we made a poor judgement
As the reality of the season unfolds one can make a far better determination of expectations and as we are on top and have been all year I have raised the bar for team & coach.

giboz71

First Grade
Who's the peanut that let Damien Cook depart the Cutters in 2013 to keep Mitch Rein safe & secure? Was it Mary or Minibus Price or a combination. Great foresight NOT!

Those were dark days.

Possibly the worst recruitment period in recent memory. Losing Cook and keeping Rein was just the start of it. It ended when we lost Bird so he can win a comp with the Sharks.

I think it was at that point when Mulholland then Millward took over and things started looking up.

Crush

Coach
So are you of the opinion one shouldn’t reassess one’s expectations throughout the season?
Do you believe that whatever you say at the beginning of the season should be binding all the way to the end?
My position re a failure if we go out in straight sheets is predicated on many things, all the hype and carry on that comes from posters in here that talk it up and decry any cautious comments, the coach himself who loves the media attention and talks it up, the commentators who talk it up and tell everyone what a great coach he is and that we are the real deal, the fact that all this creates hope and expectation and if unfulfilled means we failed to meet all the hype and hoopla that goes with the season.
I never said we had to win the comp and I never said we had to win 2 games in the final I simply said IMO it would constitute a fail if we lost 2 semis and went out in straight sets from our current position.
If you can’t win semi final games then either you have the wrong roster or the wrong coach and that needs to be addressed or do you somehow think that we should all say yep we will be leading at the half way mark every year but we will fade away in the 2nd half if the season and never win anything but that’s ok and constitutes a good season?
On the basis that the squad can lead or be top 4 of the comp for the 1st half of a season for several years indicates to me we can play the game, so fading out and losing at the pointy end of the season indicated to me the tactics employed both on an off the field have ultimately failed us which to me indicates coaching issues.
You say "if you can't win semi finals games then either you have the wrong roster or wrong coach" I disagree with this. Its an ultra competitive competition especially during finals. You can simply be outplayed on the day. Are you saying that the losers of all semis either have the wrong roster or coach? There has to be a winner and a loser and I don't think the losers need to change roster or coach necessarily.

Can you adjust your expectations during the season? Absolutely you can. But I think it is also important to take a reality check from time to time and look back on your original predictions to put things into perspective.

Old Timer

Coach
You say "if you can't win semi finals games then either you have the wrong roster or wrong coach" I disagree with this. Its an ultra competitive competition especially during finals. You can simply be outplayed on the day. Are you saying that the losers of all semis either have the wrong roster or coach? There has to be a winner and a loser and I don't think the losers need to change roster or coach necessarily.

Can you adjust your expectations during the season? Absolutely you can. But I think it is also important to take a reality check from time to time and look back on your original predictions to put things into perspective.
Crush
I can understand much of what you say and also understand your underlying reasoning but for me a coach that has had as much time as "you know who" should now know exactly what it takes to beat the lower teams and also what is needed to win at semi final time.
IMO much of the blame why we lose to lower ranked teams and why we do not play in or win semis is simply that "you know who" gets it completely wrong thus all the posts about poor selections, bench usage, playing busted players, lack of options due to not promoting from reggies etc etc.
You ask me should all coaches who lose semis be cast aside and my answer is no not all but those that persistently employ the same tactics that have resulted in failure then deservedly should be no longer employed.
If "you know who" bothered to show he is willing to experiment, find out, encourage, reward then my position would most likely change but to continue to support him from failure to failure and the reasons for them are carbon copies of previous seasons then he can get f**ked.

Crush

Coach
Crush
I can understand much of what you say and also understand your underlying reasoning but for me a coach that has had as much time as "you know who" should now know exactly what it takes to beat the lower teams and also what is needed to win at semi final time.
IMO much of the blame why we lose to lower ranked teams and why we do not play in or win semis is simply that "you know who" gets it completely wrong thus all the posts about poor selections, bench usage, playing busted players, lack of options due to not promoting from reggies etc etc.
You ask me should all coaches who lose semis be cast aside and my answer is no not all but those that persistently employ the same tactics that have resulted in failure then deservedly should be no longer employed.
If "you know who" bothered to show he is willing to experiment, find out, encourage, reward then my position would most likely change but to continue to support him from failure to failure and the reasons for them are carbon copies of previous seasons then he can get f**ked.
Who are you referring to when you say "you know who"? Sorry I'm a bit slow.

The Damo

Juniors
Damo, it will be hard to miss out on the top 4 from here (although we thought the same in previous years). What would you say if we made the top 4 but didn't win a semi final match? How would you rate Mary's abilities?

Straight Shooter
I would say a great many naughty words as
I’d be very disappointed and extremely pissed off. I’ve said plenty of times that Mary has many deficiencies as a coach. At the start of last year I was sure we were gonna be wooden spoon contenders largely because of him. But he improved, the team improved. Enough? No.
Off a very low base? Yes. But undeniable improvement. He and they have improved again, and I think, hope and expect they at least maintain that standard. So he’s shown the ability to learn between seasons, but not yet that he can during a season. That’s what we’re going to find out over the next 8-10 weeks.

St Georgio

Juniors
Ok respect the players for there efforts of playing the game at a great level, on a subliminal level we are all bogans, they get the girls, the big money, the lifestyle, I feel terrible at the moment, that is a signal of deception, lies and just ruthless administration, shit even the skull would be celebrating McIdiots extension on the table right now!

Gareth67

First Grade
Ok respect the players for there efforts of playing the game at a great level, on a subliminal level we are all bogans, they get the girls, the big money, the lifestyle, I feel terrible at the moment, that is a signal of deception, lies and just ruthless administration, shit even the skull would be celebrating McIdiots extension on the table right now!

What extension ? Have I missed something of great importance - like another A-Bomb exploding exclusively in the Kogarah and Wollongong shires ? No please don't tell me that there is yet another offer to him ' on the table ' , they must wait until the end of the season . They must ! !

Bench
It is obvious our club is behind managing our whole squad, look at Penrith, equal first and ISP side going well and they don’t seem to have any trouble promoting juniors, look at Souths last night, an 18 year old on the wing. Did he let them down. NO.
We are going to have players injured, what do we do. Give them a needle or play them half fit.
I would not blame our younger players if they left.

Gareth67

First Grade
It is obvious our club is behind managing our whole squad, look at Penrith, equal first and ISP side going well and they don’t seem to have any trouble promoting juniors, look at Souths last night, an 18 year old on the wing. Did he let them down. NO.
We are going to have players injured, what do we do. Give them a needle or play them half fit.
I would not blame our younger players if they left.

Agree ever so much 2010 , the lost opportunities that have gone begging over the last few seasons . So many young players whom deserved a chance in the starting line up , but due to the ' maestro's ' inflexible way of thinking he persists with flogging his first string players while the up and comers never got their chance , or only a few minutes at best .

LINESPEED

Juniors
Agree ever so much 2010 , the lost opportunities that have gone begging over the last few seasons . So many young players whom deserved a chance in the starting line up , but due to the ' maestro's ' inflexible way of thinking he persists with flogging his first string players while the up and comers never got their chance , or only a few minutes at best .

Yep, Fittler will have uncle Nick coming for Zac sooner than you think, as our outer
backs are a protected species lacking some basic skills. Addo would be quite happy he's not outside the Scot?

Journeymen rather than juniors for the Cautious & Fearful One

Last edited: