What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salary Cap Deal Done?

Vee

First Grade
Mods - Couldn't find the paydeal thread, merge pls.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/nrl/eleventhhour-deal-wards-off-threat-of-80-million-cut-in-league-pay-offer-20171101-gzcybj.html
Roy Masters
1 November 2017 - 05:41pm

The serious threat of taking $80 million off the table in the NRL's pay offer to players resulted in an 11th-hour agreement between chief executive Todd Greenberg and Rugby League Players' Union chief Ian Prendergast to reduce the salary cap in the final two years of the proposed CBA in exchange for the funds being diverted to a players' retirement fund.

A phone hook up of NRL clubs on Wednesday agreed to a RLPA plan to reduce the salary cap by $100,000 in 2021 to $9.6 million and drop it by a further $200,000 in 2022 to $9.7 million.

The money would be paid into a fund accessed by footballers forced into early retirement by injury and the change would not affect club margins, being a shift from the salary cap to the retired players' pool.

The NRL is still awaiting approval from the players and the board of the RLPA, while club chief executives must take the proposal to their club boards.

Given that some Sydney club chairmen can act as spoilers and 75 per cent of the clubs must agree to the proposal, a final agreement is not fait accompli.

Nevertheless, Greenberg is confident a deal will be finalised in the next few days.

The players have won 29.5 per cent of guaranteed revenue, which is superior to the 28 per cent yield ARU players get and the percentage of budgeted revenue paid to AFL players, which is between 27 per cent and 28 per cent.

However, it appears the RLPA has conceded on getting 29.5 per cent of yet-to-be-determined revenue and has accepted the argument that costs must be considered.

It appears a four-way split of net profit from future revenue will be paid equally to the RLPA, the clubs, the NRL and grassroots league, fulfilling the RLPA's claim that it seeks to be a "genuine partner" in the game.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
A phone hook up of NRL clubs on Wednesday agreed to a RLPA plan to reduce the salary cap by $100,000 in 2021 to $9.6 million and drop it by a further $200,000 in 2022 to $9.7 million.
Is there some inflation figure they're not mention or has Masters not grasped simple maths?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Is there some inflation figure they're not mention or has Masters not grasped simple maths?

I assume it is just compared to the RLPA demands...

I read it like:
A phone hook up of NRL clubs on Wednesday agreed to a RLPA plan to reduce the salary cap by $100,000 in 2021 to $9.6 million (compared to the $9.7m demanded) and drop it by a further $200,000 in 2022 to $9.7 million (compared to the $9.9m demanded).

Vee

First Grade
I assume it is just compared to the RLPA demands...

I read it like:
A phone hook up of NRL clubs on Wednesday agreed to a RLPA plan to reduce the salary cap by $100,000 in 2021 to $9.6 million (compared to the $9.7m demanded) and drop it by a further $200,000 in 2022 to $9.7 million (compared to the $9.9m demanded).
Yeah, I didn't think it was that hard.

I think some of it though was a bit of a beat up. Had the NRL gone through with the "threat" of reducing their offer to the RLPA by $80 million I'm pretty sure it would lead to some form of industrial action by the players. Sounds like its just ritual chest beating, or a media beat up for mine as oppose to a real threat.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Poorly written piece! So presuming they meant what we think they meant they are suggesting the salary cap in was originally planned to be $9.7mill in 2021 and $9.9mill in 2022. I wonder what that means it will be in 2018? $9.7mill or less?

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
I think some of it though was a bit of a beat up. Had the NRL gone through with the "threat" of reducing their offer to the RLPA by $80 million I'm pretty sure it would lead to some form of industrial action by the players. Sounds like its just ritual chest beating, or a media beat up for mine as oppose to a real threat.

The players have stated they wouldn’t cause problems at the World Cup so they would have zero impact for the 8weeks hols really. All they could do would be stop preseason training and clubs could with-hold pay. It is definitey in the Rlpa interest to get it signed. Clubs would be a lot more likely than the Nrl to play dirty with a smear campaign.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Poorly written piece! So presuming they meant what we think they meant they are suggesting the salary cap in was originally planned to be $9.7mill in 2021 and $9.9mill in 2022. I wonder what that means it will be in 2018? $9.7mill or less?

Yes it doesn’t really go into too much detail does it.? But what I take from it is that the clubs salary cap goes from about $9.2ish mil to $9.7 mil. The devil in the detail is costs associated with Injuries, super, marketing, welfare, etc and who has to pay for it (seems the clubs will carry most of this cost.) With those figures it would seem the ~130% club funding would be from $12mil-$13mil each club over the 5yrs.

Both the clubs and the players better keep there end of the deal up. The Nrl have finally put processes in place to keep the clubs and players in check. Now all the negotiations are done for 4ish yrs, Let’s hope that everyone now can get along and make the Nrl grow like we know it can.

Vee

First Grade
Poorly written piece!
Agreed, unusual for Roy Masters. So, is the deal agreed on or not?

Edit: Reported on ABC Radio News that the deal has been agreed and will be announced today, complete with a soundbite from Cameron Smith welcoming the agreement.

Last edited:

Vee

First Grade
NRL players to enjoy massive pay rise as part of new deal reached with RLPA
By Jennifer Browning
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-...-massive-pay-rise-as-part-of-new-deal/9112380

The average NRL player salary will more than double over the next five years as part of the biggest pay rise in the 109-year history of the game.

The 2018 salary cap will also be increased to $9.4 million, as the NRL, similar to the AFL and Cricket Australia, gives players a greater share of the game's revenue as part of a new collective bargaining agreement expected to be finalised on Friday.

The average player salary will increase to $313,000 next season and rise to $330,000 over five years.

The deal, which is awaiting approval from the Rugby League Players Association (RLPA), will end what has been a bitter stoush over pay between the league and the players' representatives.

"I think it's quite a balanced deal for everyone," Melbourne Storm premiership captain and RLPA general president Cameron Smith said.

The AFL finalised its pay deal earlier in the year. The average player salary is $371,000 and will rise to $389,000 in 2022.

Its salary cap is higher than the NRL but it has to be divided between more players.

The NRL has also agreed to throw open its books as part of the agreement, giving the RLPA access to its financial records.

The league will be allowed to request a player's personal records if there is suspicion its rules have been breached or the integrity of the game is at risk.

"I don't have too many concerns," Smith said.

"I think the discussions the players' association team and the NRL have had are quite healthy and I think we've got a good deal in place that should be finalised soon."

The NRL will also invest close to $4 million in women's rugby league, meaning up to 40 players can be contracted for the first time.

There is supposed to be a joint press conference between Todd Greenburg and Ian Pendergast on this matter (which should be announcing the deal has been struck) at 11.00 am (AEDT). Fox Sports News were advertising last night they would be televising this press conference live.