What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salary Cap Deal Done?

GongPanther

Referee
The NRL and RLPA today announced a historic Collective Bargaining Agreement, which will deliver the best deal to players in the game’s history.

The $980 million deal will deliver extra funding for the player retirement fund, for players forced into early retirement due to injury, a world class wellbeing and education program, and guaranteed leave entitlements.

http://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2017/11/03/nrl_announces_histor.html

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg and RLPA CEO Ian Prendergast said the deal signalled the start of a genuine partnership between the game and the players.

“For the first time, our players will receive a 29.5% share of forecast game revenue, as well as a share of any out-performance revenue,” Mr Greenberg said.

“In other words, the better the game performs, the more the players will receive.

“And players will share in any financial out-performance at the same time and on the same basis as grassroots and Clubs – a true partnership to take the game forward.”

Mr Prendergast said the agreement ensured players received a fair share of revenue for their significant contribution to the sport – both on the field and off the field.

“This is an outstanding deal for the entire game of Rugby League,” Prendergast said.

“For the first time in the history of the sport, the interests of players, the NRL, Clubs and States will be aligned – incentivising all parties to work together in taking this great game forward.

“The contribution that players make to the record levels of revenue coming into the game has been recognised under the CBA, with the players’ benefits also directly linked to the overall success of the NRL in the future.”

Highlights of the agreement include:

- A 52 per cent increase in take-home pay for players over the next five years

- A revised contracting and payment model that provides more certainty, clarity and protection for players

- The average wage of a top 30 player will rise to $330,000 a year while the minimum wage will be increased to $100,000 next year and $120,000 in 2022

- The salary cap will rise to $9.4 million next year and more than $10 million in 2022

- A new Injury Hardship Fund will be set up to support players facing early retirement due to serious injury, replacing the Career Ending Injury Insurance scheme

- Additional time-off during the week for personal development and more certainty around annual leave entitlements

- An allocation of $3.75 million for the elite women’s game – with the NRL and RLPA working together on new women’s programs to enable more females to play Rugby League

- Increased Integrity safeguards to minimise risks to the game

- The RLPA and players to have a greater role in the running of the game

Mr Greenberg and Mr Prendergast said it reflected the professionalism of players, Clubs and the NRL that the agreement had been reached in a timely fashion and without any industrial unrest.

“Indeed, the parties remained on excellent terms throughout the entire negotiation process,” Mr Prendergast said.

“We look forward to moving ahead in partnership with the NRL and Clubs, utilising the strong level of engagement that the RLPA has with our members, to assist in ensuring the game prospers in the future.”

Mr Greenberg said the game was now better positioned than at any time in its history.

He said the record level of club funding should ensure the financial future of every team in the NRL.

“Now the players have a record level of funding and we will deliver a huge boost to grassroots as well.

“So we will move into the 2018 season in better shape than ever before.”

RLPA General President, Cameron Smith endorsed the new CBA deal and commended the playing group for their show of solidarity throughout the negotiations.

“The new CBA is a win for not only players, but for the entire NRL community,” Smith said.

“This deal will assist in the continual growth of the sport because for the first time ever, we will be genuinely recognised as partners in the game.

“I’m extremely proud of the way the entire playing group united behind the RLPA throughout the lengthy negotiation process – it’s a great sign that the players are engaged and willing to drive positive change within the sport.

“The next phase for all parties now is to commit to working together and building trust in the partnership, which will take shape over coming years.”

legend

Coach
If i were Nine and Fox, I'd be cautious as to how much I offer the NRL next time round. The product is stale, the crowds are down and the EPL model is creeping in more and more each year whereby only four teams will ever be capable of winning the competition. The four richest.

The game is on a downward spiral IMO and has no leadership to take it into the next era of so called professional sport.

Reactions: Vee
If i were Nine and Fox, I'd be cautious as to how much I offer the NRL next time round. The product is stale, the crowds are down and the EPL model is creeping in more and more each year whereby only four teams will ever be capable of winning the competition. The four richest.

The game is on a downward spiral IMO and has no leadership to take it into the next era of so called professional sport.

Oh yes, the product is stale. How much of that is due to the way Channel 9 cover the game, using the same techniques they've used for the last decade, with the same commentator they've used for much of the last 25 years? With zero promotion of the game, their role in making certain on a select number of teams get coverage on their network?

If you think the NRL is an EPL Model, you don't know much about the EPL as they most certainly don't have a salary cap - and that is just for starters. Also since the Premier League was formed in 1992, only Man United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Blackburn Rovers, Man City and Leicester have won it in its 25 year history. The NRL have had more winners than that by comparison since 1998.

legend

Coach
The bunker, refereeing incompetence, television coverage and timeslots (6pm Friday), watering down of contact, blatant favouritism.

The EPL has pretty much the same four or five teams every year competing for the title (Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City, Spurs, Arsenal/Liverpool). The rest are making up the numbers or trying for an outside spot at the Champions League. The NRL has the Broncos/Roosters/Storm and Cowboys with an outsider like the Sharks appearing every so often to cause a ripple (read Leicester City).

Most games are played to more than half empty stadiums or in a cavernous stadium that has no atmosphere, even when 25k are present. Compared to the AFL, we are a joke. We are a minnow in the bigger scheme of things.

Some ground are woefully inadequate (Leichhardt, Campbelltown and Brookvale) and there is no grass roots development to ensure there is a conga line of talent flowing into the game year on year.

The NRL is a bureaucratic wasteland that is top heavy with people who know little or nothing about the game. They are much like a govt dept.

There is no significant investment into international growth of the game because ex players, who know nothing about business are allowed too much say in how the game should grow.

How's that?

Perth Red

Post Whore
and they call me negative lol

Good the deal is done and seems all parties are happy. Players get a big pay rise adm guaranteed % of income. NRL keeps the cap under $10mill, clubs get a cap close to what they've been working towards and the fans don't have to see players going on strike. Onward and upward.

Diesel

Referee

This isn’t the AFL
where the same 4 teams win.

Since 2010, Dragons, Manly, Melbourne (2), Rabbitohs, Cowboys and Sharks have all won, 2 of those clubs for the first time ever and one club for the first time in 40-odd years. The best thing is the Broncos after all their favourism, haven’t won for 11 seasons.

Pommy

Coach

I’m sure Fox and 9 would be devastated if it took on an EPL model.....

Saxon

Bench
i see the players have to turn over there personal records to the integrity unit now to. this will be interesting
Not exactly.
"The league will be allowed to request a player's personal records if there is suspicion its rules have been breached or the integrity of the game is at risk."

The NRL and RLPA today announced a historic Collective Bargaining Agreement, which will deliver the best deal to players in the game’s history.

The $980 million deal will deliver extra funding for the player retirement fund, for players forced into early retirement due to injury, a world class wellbeing and education program, and guaranteed leave entitlements.

http://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2017/11/03/nrl_announces_histor.html

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg and RLPA CEO Ian Prendergast said the deal signalled the start of a genuine partnership between the game and the players.

“For the first time, our players will receive a 29.5% share of forecast game revenue, as well as a share of any out-performance revenue,” Mr Greenberg said.

“In other words, the better the game performs, the more the players will receive.

“And players will share in any financial out-performance at the same time and on the same basis as grassroots and Clubs – a true partnership to take the game forward.”

Mr Prendergast said the agreement ensured players received a fair share of revenue for their significant contribution to the sport – both on the field and off the field.

“This is an outstanding deal for the entire game of Rugby League,” Prendergast said.

“For the first time in the history of the sport, the interests of players, the NRL, Clubs and States will be aligned – incentivising all parties to work together in taking this great game forward.

“The contribution that players make to the record levels of revenue coming into the game has been recognised under the CBA, with the players’ benefits also directly linked to the overall success of the NRL in the future.”

Highlights of the agreement include:

- A 52 per cent increase in take-home pay for players over the next five years

- A revised contracting and payment model that provides more certainty, clarity and protection for players

- The average wage of a top 30 player will rise to $330,000 a year while the minimum wage will be increased to $100,000 next year and $120,000 in 2022

- The salary cap will rise to $9.4 million next year and more than $10 million in 2022

- A new Injury Hardship Fund will be set up to support players facing early retirement due to serious injury, replacing the Career Ending Injury Insurance scheme

- Additional time-off during the week for personal development and more certainty around annual leave entitlements

- An allocation of $3.75 million for the elite women’s game – with the NRL and RLPA working together on new women’s programs to enable more females to play Rugby League

- Increased Integrity safeguards to minimise risks to the game

- The RLPA and players to have a greater role in the running of the game

Mr Greenberg and Mr Prendergast said it reflected the professionalism of players, Clubs and the NRL that the agreement had been reached in a timely fashion and without any industrial unrest.

“Indeed, the parties remained on excellent terms throughout the entire negotiation process,” Mr Prendergast said.

“We look forward to moving ahead in partnership with the NRL and Clubs, utilising the strong level of engagement that the RLPA has with our members, to assist in ensuring the game prospers in the future.”

Mr Greenberg said the game was now better positioned than at any time in its history.

He said the record level of club funding should ensure the financial future of every team in the NRL.

“Now the players have a record level of funding and we will deliver a huge boost to grassroots as well.

“So we will move into the 2018 season in better shape than ever before.”

RLPA General President, Cameron Smith endorsed the new CBA deal and commended the playing group for their show of solidarity throughout the negotiations.

“The new CBA is a win for not only players, but for the entire NRL community,” Smith said.

“This deal will assist in the continual growth of the sport because for the first time ever, we will be genuinely recognised as partners in the game.

“I’m extremely proud of the way the entire playing group united behind the RLPA throughout the lengthy negotiation process – it’s a great sign that the players are engaged and willing to drive positive change within the sport.

“The next phase for all parties now is to commit to working together and building trust in the partnership, which will take shape over coming years.”
I can't see anything about grass roots football or has all their money be taken to pay the players?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I can't see anything about grass roots football or has all their money be taken to pay the players?

Well,this salary cap agreement means the club grant will be around $12.5mill avg over the life of the deal or around $200mill a year. Then we have to take off the advance they have spent, and the money they have borrowed this year. Then throw in the $20mill a year they want to spend on digital and the $50mill a year plus in admin costs. Revenue is expected to be in the $450mill-$500mill a year range so will be interesting to see what is actually left over for g ass roots (and by grass roots I mean proper grass roots, not the second tier that seems to be absorbing most of the funding growth at the moment)

cleary89

Coach
The bunker, refereeing incompetence, television coverage and timeslots (6pm Friday), watering down of contact, blatant favouritism.

The people whinging about the bunker are the same people whinging about the video ref, and also the same people who whinged about it when they don't use the video ref.

Ref's can never win. I've seen genuine 50/50 decisions where people are saying refs are corrupt and should be sacked. Its just fans are morons.

Why would TV stations pay less for tv coverage that they wanted (and paid more for)?

The EPL has pretty much the same four or five teams every year competing for the title (Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City, Spurs, Arsenal/Liverpool). The rest are making up the numbers or trying for an outside spot at the Champions League. The NRL has the Broncos/Roosters/Storm and Cowboys with an outsider like the Sharks appearing every so often to cause a ripple (read Leicester City).

After 1/4 of the season in the EPL, 14 teams are paying $501 to win the comp. The 5th favs are paying $56.

In the NRL after 1/4 season you be lucky to find 2 or 3 teams over $50, let alone 80% of the comp.

You'd have said the same about Manly, Bulldogs a few years ago. Dragons before them. It goes in cycles, the EPL does not.

Most games are played to more than half empty stadiums or in a cavernous stadium that has no atmosphere, even when 25k are present. Compared to the AFL, we are a joke. We are a minnow in the bigger scheme of things.

13th best season ever in terms of attendance in over 100 years. Down 1.5k on the best ever average. Sure, you'd want to be beating the best every year, but going on about playing in half empty stadiums implies at one point we didn't.

AFL has the 4th best average attendance out of any league in any sport in the world. There would be a million other sports leagues world wide which are "a joke compared to AFL".

Some ground are woefully inadequate (Leichhardt, Campbelltown and Brookvale) and there is no grass roots development to ensure there is a conga line of talent flowing into the game year on year.

How has grass roots development gone backwards? From my perspective, there is a shit load more resources and funds for grass roots footy these days.

The NRL is a bureaucratic wasteland that is top heavy with people who know little or nothing about the game. They are much like a govt dept.

There is no significant investment into international growth of the game because ex players, who know nothing about business are allowed too much say in how the game should grow.

How's that?

First paragraph about financial people in charge which is bad. Second one about rugby league people in charge which is bad. So basically you want to carry on like a moron either way?

Vee

First Grade
Oh yes, the product is stale. How much of that is due to the way Channel 9 cover the game, using the same techniques they've used for the last decade, with the same commentator they've used for much of the last 25 years? With zero promotion of the game, their role in making certain on a select number of teams get coverage on their network?

If you think the NRL is an EPL Model, you don't know much about the EPL as they most certainly don't have a salary cap - and that is just for starters. Also since the Premier League was formed in 1992, only Man United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Blackburn Rovers, Man City and Leicester have won it in its 25 year history. The NRL have had more winners than that by comparison since 1998.
Some good points, some not so good. Agree with your 1st paragraph, but we've just signed on for 5 more years of the same, What state will the game be in then? I reckon it's a fair bet we'll be worse off which will devalue our asking price independent of other factors.

Re your 2nd paragraph, he was not saying the EPL is where we are, just that we're headed in that direction.
Not exactly.
"The league will be allowed to request a player's personal records if there is suspicion its rules have been breached or the integrity of the game is at risk."
Exactly, a world of difference. What the hell does will be allowed to request mean in the real world? If I'm a player, "Ask away, but my answer's No."

POPEYE

Coach

Nine and Fox are the reason the crowds are down, as far as they're concerned everything is coming along splendidly . . . retired players looking for a home love 'em, mens' shed builders love 'em, The Colonel loves 'em, sponsor's love 'em, purists who get to watch every game for a pittance love 'em. They agree with Nick . . . throw caution to the wind

legend

Coach
What are you talking about?

I was a rugby league fanatic for years (hence this site was created) and thought after season 2003, the game would go from strength to strength. It was the best season since 1994 and I would say 2014, 2015 and 2016 were good because we had maiden and long overdue premierships.

Some things haven't changed and it's getting worse. The Broncos and Roosters hoarding all the talent through grossly unfair TPA's.

I stand by my comments re the EPL. We aren't there yet, but we are fast tracking our desire to get there. Greenberg is a dud and more incompetent than the likes of Smith, Gallop and Moffet IMO. I thought a man who was a club administrator would do some good but what has he presided over that he could be proud of or boast about?

Why would tv stations pay more for coverage if they didn't have to? I doubt Ten and Seven would be banging down the door of the NRL to offer more when Seven have AFL, Tennis, Racing and Ten are broke and can't even afford the Simpsons reruns! They do have Rugby though. This puts nine in a position of strength IMO as they can lowball the NRL without really having to worry about losing the broadcast rights.

2017 represented the least amount of games I attended and watched. 2018 will be more of the same.

Does anyone have the figures on participation numbers minus touch and oztag so we can see where the grassroots of the game is at?

beave

Coach
Im hoping CBS buying 10 will lead to them coming into the fray for live sport for the next deal. And 7 having the WC that is proving to be a ratings winner might tempt them to have a crack at a game or 2 if the NRL opt to split the rights up a bit.

I agree with some points though, the scheduling/draw is beyond f**king geniusation