What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salary cap for 2008.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I was told by a director of an NRL club last night that the cap for the top 25 of the under 20's players for each club will sit at 250K, which is an average of 10K per player.

almost unbelievable..has anyone else heard that??

girvie

Staff member
Well i think that would rule out a lot of players from competing in the National Under-20s because they are earning too much.

It looks like many will have to play Premier League.

Someone like Karl McNichol who signed with Cronulla is earning $150,000 next season. So if he is dropped from NRL then he would have to play Premier League along with most guys like Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Dave Taylor, Will Chambers etc. Basically any Under-20s player in an NRL Top-25 squad couldn't play National Under-20s.

I reckon many clubs would be spending way more on Under-20s players this year, although perhaps not Flegg players because the best Under-20s are usually promoted to Premier League.

Stagger eel

Staff member
girvie said:
Well i think that would rule out a lot of players from competing in the National Under-20s because they are earning too much.

It looks like many will have to play Premier League.

Someone like Karl McNichol who signed with Cronulla is earning $150,000 next season. So if he is dropped from NRL then he would have to play Premier League along with most guys like Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Dave Taylor, Will Chambers etc. Basically any Under-20s player in an NRL Top-25 squad couldn't play National Under-20s.

I reckon many clubs would be spending way more on Under-20s players this year, although perhaps not Flegg players because the best Under-20s are usually promoted to Premier League.

yep...we've got a situation at our club where we tied up the bulk of our Flegg squad for next year and beyond months before this happen so we've had to effectively move blokes like Kris Keating and Taulima Tautai who are both outstanding prospects to the top 25 squad.

you'll see alot of seasoned firstgraders be left in the lurch over this, players like Luke Stuart, Adam Peek and Jason Williams will be left without a club or playing for next to nothing in the 2nd tier cap.

girvie

Staff member
eelavation said:
yep...we've got a situation at our club where we tied up the bulk of our Flegg squad for next year and beyond months before this happen so we've had to effectively move blokes like Kris Keating and Taulima Tautai who are both outstanding prospects to the top 25 squad.

you'll see alot of seasoned firstgraders be left in the lurch over this, players like Luke Stuart, Adam Peek and Jason Williams will be left without a club or playing for next to nothing in the 2nd tier cap.
Do you think Keating and Tautai would play National Under-20s if they are not in NRL next year or would they continue to play Premier League?

Stagger eel

Staff member
girvie said:
Do you think Keating and Tautai would play National Under-20s if they are not in NRL next year or would they continue to play Premier League?

they are still elligible for the under 20's, but it's difficult to answer that question when you don't know..

1] what is actually happening with the PL/overage comp.

2] will the Taulima and Kris's out there be allowed to play in the under 20's comp given that their sign on fees come under the top 25 bracket?

these are questions that came to me after my chat to the board member.

Swamprat

Juniors
This whole saga is gonna get screwed up IMO. If this is going to work as it should any player that is under 20 and not required for that clubs NRL side Should be able to play toyota cup.

Any 18/19 yr old player thats represented his state or country at schoolboy or club level would have to command 15 to 30k a year, so if like the majority of clubs you have 4 or 5 of them you can kiss goodbye to half of your cap already, if your Parra, Penrith,Broncos etc its probably been blown on the 8 or so they already had on that sort of money.
So players from number 10 on are going to have to be playing and training practically fulltime for 5k or less a year and thats not much of an incentive.

My concern is that good players both over and under 20 are going to opt out of football for the simple reason that they can't afford to train and play practically full time for what is essentially peanuts.

What might work better is that all top 20 toyota cup players at each club are given a minimum of 10k a year and clubs can choose to top up with money from the main cap if they choose, that way any eligible player in a clubs top 25 can drop down if theyre not required in NRL and it won't matter what money theyre on. This would be better than sending that player off to play park football because you also have them as a back up if theres an injury to a NRL player during warm up.
Just my opinion.

Swamprat

Juniors
Mason and fellow senior players including Manly stalwart Steve Menzies are scheduled to attend post-season rookie camps, where juniors from all 16 clubs will also be required to obtain a referee's certificate.

Capped off by three compulsory days away from training each week, the NRL's new wave of social engineering is designed to prevent young footballers from getting into strife away from football.

Under 20s general manager, Michael Buettner, said players would be forced to work or study three days a week to ensure they integrated better into the community. In a further incentive, wages and tuition fees will be exempt from each sides' $250,000 salary cap. "We've set aside eight-hour blocks on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays when players will not be allowed to train with the team so they can concentrate on work or study,'' Buettner said.

"There's been a bit said about employers only taking on someone for three days, but clubs have experienced no problems. St George Illawarra held an information night for their sponsors recently, and the response was overwhelming.''

Girvie,
With your knack of being able to get all the up to date facts and info could you try to get an official set of rules and guidelines for the U20's salary cap?
I am only seeing dribs and drabs of information in the media and my sons manager was of the belief that any wage earned in a traineeship would be included within the 250k cap.

roopy

Referee
I was talking to the father of a kid playing Flegg who is a NSW u17 and u19 rep the other day - and the $200 a game he gets doesn't cover the cost of his food supplements.

Swamprat

Juniors
roopy said:
I was talking to the father of a kid playing Flegg who is a NSW u17 and u19 rep the other day - and the $200 a game he gets doesn't cover the cost of his food supplements.

Food supplements?

You could take a course of roids for less than $200 bucks a week!:lol:

tackled

Juniors
I heard the other day that only tertiary education & job related training is exempt from the salary cap but any kids signed to scholarship at a sports or selective school regardless of age or getting their options picked up will actually fall into that 250k salary. I'm not sure how true that is but it certainly throws another spanner, in if it's true.

roopy

Referee
Swamprat said:
Food supplements?

You could take a course of roids for less than $200 bucks a week!:lol:
a 19 year old training hard can get through a lot of protien shakes.

Hanscholo

Bench
I cant see why the league insists on holding salaries so low. Kids lieaving school at 16 can and will earn more than that, a lot more in fact shifting sh*t.

We will continue to lose players while ever the league babies clubs with salary caps and by doing so force them to NOT run their clubs well enough to compete financially. Protectionism never works, the money always finds a way to get around it.

boonboon

Juniors
I would assume the exceptions that apply in the NRL would as a minimum apply to the Toyota cup so the following would be excluded
s any Remuneration excluded?

In addition to allowances, the Salary Cap Auditor has specifically excluded the following benefits to players:

• Tertiary education (TAFE & University)
• Approved Traineeships
• Medical insurance costs
• Relocation & temporary accommodation co

From what i have heard and read also any wages the players earn working outside of football will be excluded - as they have the 3 days set aside

So my assumption would be that clubs will pay all 25 10k out of the salary cap and then the rest will be through other areas such as the above - also we must remember clubs have thier top 25 NRL cap for some and the Premier League money plus the fact that these guys are only young and i know myself you can live off very little in reality - esp when thier costs are taken care of -ie - most of them will be living with family or with friends and as they are training and working and trying ti be professional footballers thye wont have many expenses - to pay for out of thier income