What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salary cap rising

roughyedspud

Coach
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/39506517

Super League clubs have backed a new structure to raise the salary cap from £1.825m to £2.1m by 2020.

The 12 teams will be able to spend £1.9m next year, £2m in 2019 and then £2.1m in 2020.

There has also been an agreement reached that clubs can have two marquee players - up from one - with exemptions for new or returning players as well as some under the age of 21.

The Rugby Football League board will vote on the proposals on Thursday.

"The clubs asked the Rugby Football League to put forward a set of proposals that would help them retain and attract the best players to the competition," said Super League executive director Roger Draper.

"We believe that when you consider all of them together, these changes could make a significant difference to helping clubs attract and retain the best talent in this league and that is something we all are determined to do."

It is below the Australian National Rugby League cap of £4.25m for 2017, while, in rugby union, the English Premiership cap is £7m.

What does it mean?
Marquee players

• A club is allowed to nominate two marquee players in their salary cap who have to be paid more than £175,000.
  • If that player has been trained by the club only £75,000 of their salary contributes towards the cap, while anyone outside of that would be a £150,000 contribution.
New and returning players

• A club is also entitled to register two players in their squad that can either be new to, or wanting to return to, the sport.
  • For a new talent pool player - someone who has never played rugby league - their wage will not count towards the cap in their first season and then 50% from their second.
  • For a returning talent pool player, for example someone returning from rugby union, they must not have played rugby league for five years and in the first season their wage contributes only 50% towards the cap and 75% in a second season.

roughyedspud

Coach
Paves the way for Wigan to bring back Kyle eastmond..

Disappointed there no rule that states to spend the full cap clubs must have a full academy set up..ie u16,u18 & u20/reserves,There seems to be too much emphasis on retaining players & bringing in players,whether union or marquee...What about the kids??? Some clubs run u16s & u19s..The whole juniors strategy is a mess

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
Paves the way for Wigan to bring back Kyle eastmond..

Disappointed there no rule that states to spend the full cap clubs must have a full academy set up..ie u16,u18 & u20/reserves,There seems to be too much emphasis on retaining players & bringing in players,whether union or marquee...What about the kids??? Some clubs run u16s & u19s..The whole juniors strategy is a mess

Am I right in thinking Salford don't have a proper junior setup?
It would certainly incentivise the owner to put his money where his mouth is.

deal.with.it

Juniors
At least with the marquee rule two players that are potentially best in the world can be attracted to SL.

If you take those two out in comparison to the NRL the gap isn't too big. Most NRL clubs have one player worth $1M+.

I guess not every SL club can afford 2 x $1M+ players.

If they could the salary caps of SL and NRL wouldn't be too different

CC_Roosters

First Grade

If they don't raise it or have marquee slots then the game will always be geared to its weakest links and never be able to drive forward. I like the bits about marquee and u21 dispensations.
Agree with earlier comments about juniors, if a club is not running those sides they should be penalised in some way, maybe denial of marquee slots or the like

adamkungl

Immortal
Well perhaps we can get a side like Toronto or Toulouse to take their place. The game has to grow outside of the heartlands and if they cant retain and attract talent its never going to do that.

Yeah. I'm an outsider looking in with no real allegiance other than growing the sport. My view is probably not popular with locals, but SL needs to have more big city clubs playing top grade. If that means clubs like Huddersfield or Wakefield start falling behind and drop to Championship to make way.. so be it.

Pommy

Coach
Yeah. I'm an outsider looking in with no real allegiance other than growing the sport. My view is probably not popular with locals, but SL needs to have more big city clubs playing top grade. If that means clubs like Huddersfield or Wakefield start falling behind and drop to Championship to make way.. so be it.

Its pretty similar here theres too many sides in Sydney. Its never going to be popular to cut one and it sounds even more hypocritical to say it as a Souths fan but a time is going to come when teams need dropping or relocating for the good of the game here also.

roughyedspud

Coach
Am I right in thinking Salford don't have a proper junior setup?
It would certainly incentivise the owner to put his money where his mouth is.

No they don't,the don't even spend the full cap or have a marquee player.....Yet he's the biggest gob in the league...He's a idiot

adamkungl

Immortal
Its pretty similar here theres too many sides in Sydney. Its never going to be popular to cut one and it sounds even more hypocritical to say it as a Souths fan but a time is going to come when teams need dropping or relocating for the good of the game here also.

Yeah. Maybe I'm a hypocrite. I don't believe we need to drop a Sydney club. Different environment, different financial situation, different spread of teams and different potential locations for new ones. I can argue the circumstances are totally different but people would still probably think it's hypocritical.

Perth Red

Post Whore
About time but it will come at the cost of investment in juniors and reserve grade sadly. There just isnt much money in English rugby league for most clubs. Expect to see a three tier league every year and more clubs going bust in the chase for glory,

Perth Red

Post Whore
Onlybatbsome clubs, others run reserve grade and have decent junior programs. Not surprisingly they are also the clubs that tend to be most successful

Latest posts