What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sales are strong

dimitri

First Grade
Date: 10/12/2009SALES STRONG FOR NRL CLASH - ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA V PARRAMATTA

TICKETS AVAILABLE THROUGH TICKETMASTER.......
Early ticket sales for the February 14 2010 NRL trial game between Minor Premiers for 2009 St George Illawarra Dragons and Grand Finalists Parramatta Eels are indicating big interest in this blockbuster game and the growth of Rugby League in Perth. Although the game is still two months away, reserved seating and sponsors sales are well ahead of target and a big crowd is assured at ME Bank Stadium.

2010 is seen as a watershed year for the WA Rugby League’s bid for a Perth based NRL team in the next expansion of the game. Attendance at this game and the planned Telstra Cup match between the South Sydney Rabbitohs and the reigning Premiers Melbourne Storm in June will provide added momentum for WA’s case.

It will also boost the drive for corporate, community and membership backing.

The Perth season opener is boosted by the star line up of two of the best performing clubs of the 2009 season. Both clubs are expected to be at full strength and will be grasping this opportunity to stake their early claims for the 2010 season.

The trial game will be supported with school clinics and visits by the teams to local clubs, adding significantly to the local pre-season junior training programs.

The WARL has shifted its focus for their WA Reds side next year and will be entering a team into the National Under 18’s SG Ball competition, a move well received & supported by the national decision makers at the ARL and a logical step towards an NRL franchise.

The curtain raiser on February 14 will see the Reds first hit out against Balmain Tigers.

Whilst on field success in year one may be a big ask for the young WA hopefuls, the experience offered and the pathway now provided, will see the SG Ball competition as a key part of WA’s 2013 NRL bid.

Jarrod Saffy, second-rower from St George Illawarra will be in town next week as part of the lead up to the game. He will be available to talk about his journey through to the Dragons and provide some background on this game and their season for 2010.

Media Conference: Tuesday, December 15
11.00am – 12.00pm
ME Bank Stadium

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm predicting 13,000 for it. Cheaper tickets would have seen it over 15,000 imo. Would be good to see some compettitions for free tickets run in the media. Good way of free advertising!

Perth Red

Post Whore
ps they could have sent a high profile player, Big Del (ok I know he is an ex!) would have been good and got us some good media. Is Saffy from WA?

gallagher

Juniors
I'm predicting 13,000 for it. Cheaper tickets would have seen it over 15,000 imo. Would be good to see some compettitions for free tickets run in the media. Good way of free advertising!

A couple of days after the Forces first game I believe. That may affect numbers.

I'm not sure price is too much though. I know its only a trial but we are gonna see 09's minor premiers and grand finalists. $30 in the high level of the eastern side at halfway aint too bad. Only 2 chances to see NRL in Perth!

Billythekid

First Grade

I think i would have preferred cheaper tickets to bring in more fans even if it meant making less money.

This game shouldn't be about making a few dollars (though thanks to the lack of support from the NRL the WARL probably needs it). It should be about packing out the ground to show the NRL that A Perth could not only work but be a strong success.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I guess with the WARL carrying all the financial risk they are edging their bets by having ticket prices high. If the NRL would chip in $100k for each game then the WARL wouldn't be exposed to such risk and could take a chance on lowering the prices. With the Force upgrades I read the capacity for this year will be 20,500. Not sure where the extra seating has been placed?

I am just hoping we beat last year figures as it will show growth on top of already impressive crowds. Fingers crossed for good weather and some decent advertising of the games.

40/20

Juniors
I guess with the WARL carrying all the financial risk they are edging their bets by having ticket prices high. If the NRL would chip in $100k for each game then the WARL wouldn't be exposed to such risk and could take a chance on lowering the prices. With the Force upgrades I read the capacity for this year will be 20,500. Not sure where the extra seating has been placed?

I am just hoping we beat last year figures as it will show growth on top of already impressive crowds. Fingers crossed for good weather and some decent advertising of the games.
they have attatched new seats behind the soccer clock it looks cheap and the views must be awful

Dave Q

Coach
Roll on the WANRL.

Souths Storm are playing there and this should be a top game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
yep, weekend of June 26th for that one. Can't wait. Hope its as good as game as last years.

j5o6hn

Juniors
There have been South Africans at both NRL games played in Perth,its a little Pretoria in some of Perths Suburbs

Perth Red

Post Whore
In the Reds newsletter it says sales are 5 weeks ahead of where they were at this time last year. great news, especially with the cost of Xmas and not a huge amount of advertising. Hopefully we will see the marketing ramp up in January.

Fraser

given leagues general awesomeness

id presume you would be more perth reds jerseys in perth than western force yawnion jerseys??

im just asking, when i went to canberra there were about 10 raiders jerseys to every 1 brumbies jersey i saw

Nicolas Hart

Juniors
given leagues general awesomeness

id presume you would be more perth reds jerseys in perth than western force yawnion jerseys??

im just asking, when i went to canberra there were about 10 raiders jerseys to every 1 brumbies jersey i saw

It's never going to happen.

Rugby Union is not only a larger fraternity. It's far more of a community. It has magnificent international appeal. Great development structures. Tonnes of opportunities, and plenty of financial backing from both corporate and private markets. NRL is currently an abhorrent struggling mess. It'll take a long time before it will ever come 'close' to competing with Rugby Union or AFL.

Dragonwest

Juniors
It's never going to happen.

Rugby Union is not only a larger fraternity. It's far more of a community. It has magnificent international appeal. Great development structures. Tonnes of opportunities, and plenty of financial backing from both corporate and private markets. NRL is currently an abhorrent struggling mess. It'll take a long time before it will ever come 'close' to competing with Rugby Union or AFL.

I was always under the impression (from what I remember as a kid) up until the Red's getting the boot that League was alot stronger than Union in Perth. Things have obviously changed alot in the last 10 yrs, but with League having the superior product I can't see why the pecking order couldn't be reversed again. The NRL finanical backing should dwarf that of the ARU within the next decade.

Nicolas Hart

Juniors
I was always under the impression (from what I remember as a kid) up until the Red's getting the boot that League was alot stronger than Union in Perth. Things have obviously changed alot in the last 10 yrs, but with League having the superior product I can't see why the pecking order couldn't be reversed again. The NRL finanical backing should dwarf that of the ARU within the next decade.

Rugby Union has only recently turned into a professional sport, so it's no huge surprise that Rugby League (in Perth) might have been previously bigger.

As you say, though, alot has changed in recent history.

As for League being a superior product - in some aspects it is, in others it isn't. All in all that's an entirely subjective matter. One which, considering the strength of the Western Force, and the two AFL teams in WA; will be tough to overcome.

I, for one, hope they'll co-exist well in Perth. We'll see how it all develops in the next few years - some of which will entirely depend on our bidding success (or lack thereof) from the NRL Expansion drive.