What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sam Burgess

English Rose

Juniors
Now being an Englishman I obviously like to follow our English players playing in the NRL.

I have watched every game this year of Souths and people say he isn't the same player he once was and is no longer one of the top forwards but I thinks that's unfair and it's the rubbish he now has to play with what is bringing him down. Nearly every single game he has been the best player for Souths last year and again this year!

Honestly put him in a Storm, Sharks or Roosters team and he would be going close to topping the Dally M leader board!

He's still good but no longer the best.

I'd be curious to see a comparison of his post contact metres and offloads between 2014 and 2017.

English Rose

Juniors
He's still good but no longer the best.

I'd be curious to see a comparison of his post contact metres and offloads between 2014 and 2017.

Bet you will be surprised as it won't be that different.

I'm not saying he is the best but he is still one of the best!

It's easy to keep a great standard of performance in a winning team but he is doing it in an absolute woeful team which is harder to do!

Let's face it he would walk into any NRL team and if eligible he would also get into both State of Origin teams and the Australian and New Zealand national sides

Last edited:
Running metres down from 179 to 152.
That's a drop from 1st to 22nd in the league.

Offloads down from 2.4 to 1.5.
That's a drop from 2nd to 18th.

Missed tackles up from 1.8 to 2.3

Tackles static at 35pg.

Rabbit toes

First Grade
Eh, half the reason he is surrounded by shit players is because he made them offload most of their squad to squeeze his enormous contract into their cap, so f**k him
In some ways you're right. Doubled edged sword, we retained the wrong players and released the wrong ones too.

No doubt he's putting in but he seems like he's not firing on all cylinders. Watching him and gus on the edges against the donkeys was great to see. Along with fuimano.

It's almost as though the twins shitty form drags him down. Tom is improving now so if George follows, Sam will probably go up to 2014 form.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
On yer bike, Sammy boy..

257190-sam-burgess.jpg

kbw

Bench
Unfortunately he and his brothers have lost the ability to get a penalty every time they drop a ball like they did in 2014.

Absolutely and thats a double whammy because instead of getting that "penalty" its now a turn over.
No doubt he puts in, but his hands are a massive liability.

His effect on the game is also minimised from his first stint because he does not have free reign for filth like he did previously. In his first couple of years he could have ripped off someones head from their body and not even get cited,

Vic Mackey

Referee
His effect on the game is also minimised from his first stint because he does not have free reign for filth like he did previously. In his first couple of years he could have ripped off someones head from their body and not even get cited,

i dont know, did you see his shoulder charge on DCE a few weeks back that went unpunished?

Iafeta

Referee
Unfortunately he and his brothers have lost the ability to get a penalty every time they drop a ball like they did in 2014.

Amen. Imagine Tony Archers meetings. "Hey Maxmong, quick note before I fire you but then sneak you into the video refs box so you can ensure I get the divvy payout on Manly 1-12, those last 12 penalties you blew the media are catching on that there wasn't an opponent within a 3 meter radius, and so now they don't see it as the funny lol at you that we do. There's now believe it or not a lol@5ouFF$ building momentum..."

Latest posts