Sam Dastyari Heckled in Melbourne Pub

Discussion in 'Four Corners' started by veggiepatch1959, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Mong

Mong Immortal

Conservatives are also liking that theory, along with a whole lot of but "the left" to justify it.

Apaz those guys were just expressing their rights to free speech..

#conservatives

2. Game_Breaker

Game_Breaker First Grade

So these guys getting sued by Stan because they’re too stupid to come up with an original name for their club and stole it from one of their shows (Romper Stomper series)

3. 2_Smoking_Guns

2_Smoking_Guns First Grade

The superior race....

4. Canard

Canard Coach

Here comes the right wing to drum up a conspiracy to protect his racist mates.

5. I Bleed Maroon

I Bleed Maroon Coach

Lol @ miller and Jimbo coming into a thread about a pretty open and shut story and try a limpdick attempt to drag the left through the mud too, because god forbid the right are the only side made to look like assholes

6. magpie4ever

magpie4ever First Grade

Listen you cigar smoker, I said it would not surprise ME - I didn't accuse the little numbers man of it.

7. RockWheel

RockWheel Juniors

gee guys i'm just asking questions. i don't believe in this conspiracy theory (obviously that's why i brought it up), but hey, what if it was true. just putting a crazy conspiracy theory out there as a viable option, even though i don't believe it.

Mr Spock! and myrrh ken like this.
  8. butchmcdick

butchmcdick Guest

ME bank to sue

magpie4ever likes this.
  9. magpie4ever

magpie4ever First Grade

They are neo-nazis, you just tell them to f**k off. The amount of times I got call a white merkin or a skip merkin on a football field would put little Sam's incident in the shade.

10. veggiepatch1959

veggiepatch1959 First Grade

Wow 12 words of stupidity.

Back in your box now for a recharge.

to_ddeath and Collateral like this.
  11. Canard

Canard Coach

The standard racists response.

12. Danish

Danish Referee

Sammy needs to get Bolt on the blower so he can give him a few tips on how to deal with this types in future.

On a serious note, is there any law that's been broken here? Like is verbally abusing someone a crime? I'd have thought at the least filming someone like that would be some sort of offence. The guys responsible seem to be easily identifiable so I can only imagine it mustn't be or they'd have been charged already.

I did read also that Sammy is considering civil action. I wonder on what grounds that would be?

13. Firey_Dragon

Firey_Dragon Coach

Racial and Religious tolerance act would be one that could be argued that is violated.

Verbally abusing people on the basis of race or religion is a crime, though often unlikely to be prosecuted.

Unfortunately that sort of scene isn't really surprising in Australia. Racism is so embedded in Australian culture.

14. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

Civil action could be through the racial discrimination act, section 18c comes to mind.

15. Danish

Danish Referee

You could be right there. They mention his specific nationality a bunch of times. Although personally I don't like the idea of people being able to be sued based on speech.

Instead of focusing on the words/phrases used, IMO some form of harrassment/assault charge would have been reasonable due to their intimidating behaviour. They surrounded him, got in his face, and were clearly trying to bait him to react (and I think we all know what would have gone down if he had). That sort of bullshit needs to be stamped out immediately, else we'll just start seeing more and more of these incidents until someone actually gets hurt.

16. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

RACIAL DISCRIMINATION ACT 1975 - SECT 18C
    Offensive behaviour because of race, colour or national or ethnic origin

(1) It is unlawful for a person to do an act, otherwise than in private, if:

(a) the act is reasonably likely, in all the circumstances, to offend, insult, humiliate or intimidate another person or a group of people; and

(b) the act is done because of the race, colour or national or ethnic origin of the other person or of some or all of the people in the group.

Despite that it is painted as such by those that oppose the legislation, It's not just a speech thing. Note that which is in bold. "An act" can be speech, but clearly there is nothing in the legislation that stipulates it applies only to speech.

I would suggest that the combination of their actions, words and motivations would clearly be covered here, and that it is the most appropriate piece of legislation under which to prosecute their actions.

I would agree though that if there is legislation in Victoria that covers their actions as a criminal offence, that too would be appropriate.

17. Danish

Danish Referee

I've no doubt the combination of their actions and words would make a much more compelling case for an 18C lawsuit. However the words are the critical ingredient in order for 18C to be applied.

If the aggressors removed all mentions of islam or iran from their speech, the incident wouldn't be any less threatening or aggressive. Hell if they'd done what they did while saying absolutely nothing it probably would have been viewed as even MORE threatening. But despite their actions still being just as menacing, 18C would not be an option since there would be zero proof that their actions were motivated by race.

With this in mind, 18C is absolutely all about speech (speech being classified as both written and verbal). I can't see how you would be able to identify an action as racially motivated without it.

18. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

That's merely an argument about the ability to prove the intent / motivation.

Whilst it is true 18c allows for prosecution of a case based upon speech alone, and is most often used for that purpose, it most certainly is not all about speech ( as the wording of the legislation clearly indicates )

Your confusion here arises out of the fact that it is the only piece of legislation under which a case against ( racially motivated ) speech alone can be prosecuted, and it is clearly written with the intent that it does make certain acts of speech unlawful. However this in no way limits the application of the legislation to speech alone.

You can argue this until you are blue in the face, however unless you can provide some sort of legal precedence that shows "do an act" has been interpreted to only mean an act of speech, you're pissing into the wind here mate.

sportive cupid likes this.
  19. Collateral

Collateral Moderator Staff Member

The Kentucky Derby?

20. sportive cupid

sportive cupid Referee

Its not about whethet its legal or not.
    Its about whether it's rigjt or not .

Are we comfortable with this .

I'm not. And sadly its been going in since the British arrived .