Sam Dastyari Heckled in Melbourne Pub

Discussion in 'Four Corners' started by veggiepatch1959, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

I reckon you'd be really on the margins of public opinion to believe that this kind of behaviour is anywhere near ok.

I do think though that if we aren't ok with it, there should be some form of legal redress available for the victim here. So I guess for mine that is equally important. I see this kind of behaviour as the very thing that section 18c was written to capture, and as such I'd be well in favour of a case being prosecuted under that piece of legislation.

There's every chance such a case would generate a lot of debate, without the misnomers of "hurt feelings" being used to downplay the behaviour of the perpetrators. The only downside I see is the potential to hand these morons a platform, however the upside of watching the free speech brigade tie themselves in knots over defending their rights whilst distancing themselves from their actions would be well worth it.

2. The Charlatan

The Charlatan First Grade

18c notwithstanding, a group of blokes have gone out of their way to bother another bloke minding his own business and start making comments based on his appearance and had the audacity to film it for distribution.

It is quite clear that intimidation was the intent and regardless of whether it breached laws or not, it is unacceptable. As much as I dislike Andrew Bolt, I felt the same way when those dickheads went out of their way to harass him while he was minding his own business.

It's not on.

butchmcdick and sportive cupid like this.
  3. Mong

Mong Immortal

And the muppets who had a go at abbotts sister re the current immigration related issue.

f**king stupid.

4. SBD82

SBD82 Bench

The behavior of these f**kwits is reprehensible. Blokes who have graduated from being a schoolyard bully with honors. I hope they don't breed.

If you are going to legislate against their behavior it's pretty complex in my mind. I don't believe that it's possible to enact legislation that will change people's beliefs. Beliefs of f**kwits such as these will always (sadly) exist. I think there is value in hearing their beliefs so that they can be challenged publicly. An impressionable young person who hears their views in a clandestine way, without ever hearing well thought out rebuttals, could easily develop the same views. Making bigotry covert will never make it go away.

Another concern is how you decide what is offensive. I used to work for a community organisation, where we would lobby for funding based on data that we had collected. Aboriginal people, lgbtiq people, and people with mental health issues are statistically over represented in homelessness statistics. There is a very fine line between advocating for more service for these groups, and perpetuating hate speech. It's the difference between saying that "we need to address the gaps in service delivery because these groups are over represented in homelessness" and "they're a bunch of homeless merkins". The two statements are essentially synonymous, with the difference being perceived altruism.

Against this, we'd need to balance the rights of dastyari to not have his individual freedoms impinged. The right of a man to have a beer after work without being harassed should be sacrosanct. I think he's a pretty slimy character, but he should have this right regardless.

These blokes are the worst kind of merkins. But how you legislate against someone being a merkin I don't know.

5. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

Hence why I see civil action under 18C a reasonable idea, it brings the whole thing out into the open and puts the onus upon these merkins to defend their actions.

The very public and controversial nature of the legislation would all but ensure that was the case.

6. millersnose

millersnose Post Whore

Seven pages now
    And no thread on the spitting and physical assault on Tony Abbott's sister
    Surprise surprise

7. Mong

Mong Immortal

You unable to start threads these days?

Collateral likes this.
  8. Canard

Canard Coach

I notice your arms are amputated

9. The Charlatan

Didn't know about that until Mong posted about it and I went looking. More reprehensible IMO. Absolutely disgusting behaviour.

10. Surely

Surely Moderator Staff Member

Publican should have asked the merkins to leave

You don't put up with retards intimidating or harassing people in your establishment.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017 at 11:14 AM
    t-ba, butchmcdick, Bandwagon and 3 others like this.
  11. The Charlatan

Fair enough if you don't like the bloke or what he stands for, but I've never understood the premise of intimidation of one or few people by a larger group, particularly when things start getting physical.

Behaving like a pack of violent apes cheapens your cause.

12. Smack

Smack Bench

People usually get tough in groups

Collateral likes this.
  13. SBD82

SBD82 Bench

Testing legislation in court is putting the cart before the horse. You wouldn't be testing what they think and having debate about that, you would be testing whether what they said was against the legislation (that is preexisting). So the arguments in court are legal, not ethical.

14. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

The argument outside the court is the one that poses interest.

15. butchmcdick

butchmcdick Guest

Apart from the south Sydney Rabbitohs

Smack likes this.