What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sam Thaiday snub

Wizardman

First Grade
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/sa...b/news-story/7e16fcaf733fe9bcee5d562944aa4fef

SAM Thaiday has taken a huge swing at Australian selectors over his snub for the 2017 Rugby League World Cup.

The Broncos star has been left furious over the selection panels failure to inform him of their decision to overlook the 32-year-old when the world cup squad was announced on Tuesday.

The star forward sent a message to the selection panel in a post on Instagram where he did nothing to show how angry he is over the snub.

Thaiday wrote he discovered his representative career was over by seeing a leaked news story on Monday.

Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga confirmed his squad for this year’s world cup on Tuesday with Thaiday among several big-name omissions.

“So it’s official — the end of my 2017 Rugby League year,” Thaiday wrote on Tuesday night.

“Who would’ve thought this year would be the last time I played for both QLD and Australia. A bit of respect would’ve been nice... to at least receive a phone call and learn about selection that way instead of through a leaked report from the media on last night’s news.

“After dedicating more than 10 years wearing the Maroon and Green and Gold jersey, you’d expect to be treated with a bit more decency and respect. I guess not. Lucky I have one more year left at the @brisbanebroncos unless someone wants to shatter that dream too.

“What a rollercoaster of a year — Peace out 2017.”

Thaiday was selected to play for the Kangaroos against New Zealand in the mid-year Test in Canberra, won by the hosts 30-12.

Thaiday’s former teammate Darren Lockyer is now one of the top Kangaroos selectors with the Queensland legend reportedly one of the top three powerbrokers for team selections in the Kangaroos side.

Lockyer, alongside Bob Fulton and coach Mal Meninga are reportedly the three men responsible for selecting the Kangaroos squad among the panel of selectors, which also includes ARL chairman John Grant.

Meninga told The Courier-Mail in July that he would give Thaday every chance to be selected for the world cup — after he’d just been dropped by Queensland for State of Origin Game 2.

“He’s the incumbent,” Meninga said.

“If he’s playing really good footy for the Broncos and they go really deep in the finals and he’s instrumental in all that, then he’s always in the picture.”

Thaiday’s teammate and Broncos legend Corey Parker responded to Thaiday’s social media posts by showing his support for Thaiday.

“Mate it’s a real shame that’s been the case, it would not of (sic) been hard,” Parker wrote.

“However nothing surprises me anymore. You were a privilege to play alongside and a great friend!” Parker wrote.

Broncos stars Anthony Milford and Kodi Nikorima also sent a messages to Thaiday on Instagram.

“Got u Bala,” Milford wrote.

Many rugby league commentators expressed sympathy for Thaiday’s situation.

Wizardman

First Grade
I have never seen a bigger whinge from a player over a non-selection than this. Thaiday is not entitled to a phone call. It is nice if a player gets one but he is certaintly not entitled to get one...no player is.
His form has been pretty crappy for the last three years now. Thaiday has had a great run and plenty of chances....stop sooking and get on with life.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not a great way to go about business. We want the kangaroo jersey to mean something and be the pinnacle of the game for a player, being professional around it shouldnt be hard for the nrl surely? How hard is it to give an incumbent a call to say it's over? Sam has every right to be pissd

Wizardman

First Grade
Not a great way to go about business. We want the kangaroo jersey to mean something and be the pinnacle of the game for a player, being professional around it shouldnt be hard for the nrl surely? How hard is it to give an incumbent a call to say it's over? Sam has every right to be pissd
No, it is a selection process. He simply needs to cop it sweet.

jason taylor

Bench
Thaiday is a whinger, but I'm pretty sure I read that Ferguson got a call informing him that he was being dropped? Pretty weird if that's the case but Thaiday didn't receive the same treatment.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
What a f*ckin princess...

Almost as bad as Benji's "the Togers owe me another contract because, despite my terrible form, i deserve a fairytale ending for some reason..."

Travitoh

First Grade
In Mal's defence, Thaiday wouldn't even make into an Australian B team. He's very forgettable now when it comes to rep selection.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
if it is true that other players have been contacted about their non-selections than fair enough for him to be feel disappointed. Not enough to have a social media whinge but just be gutted in general.

Maybe if he didn't shorten his hair he would gotten picked alongside woods

big hit!

Bench
I'm sure he had an inkling that he may not get selected, but The bloke played in the last test! Of course he should've received a call. Don't let dislike of him or his personality affect judgement here. The bloke is still a 10-yr Kangaroo rep. How hard is it for the national coach to call him up and say thanks for your service but time has come? Like he says, it's respect.

This game can be really shit at recognising the achievements of all but the absolute greats.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
I suppose when you are an auto-pick regardless or form you kind of need to make arrangements around certain times of the year. Now sam has 6-8 weeks free now that he wouldn't have made any plans for. Will happen to Sharon soon enough

OVP

Coach
Q: Who would’ve thought this year would be the last time I played for both QLD and Australia. ?

A: Me.

myrrh ken

First Grade
He just wants to be respected. Just like the way he respects jungle chicks and chicks in cubicles.

Last edited:

Latest posts