What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Same Players, Different Manager.....

BeddyUK

Juniors
If we got rid of Madge and had say Shane Flanagan or Paul Green as Head Coach, do you think Souths would be any higher on the ladder with the current crop of players we have?

doyen

Bench
If we got rid of Madge and had say Shane Flanagan or Paul Green as Head Coach, do you think Souths would be any higher on the ladder with the current crop of players we have?

It definitely could make a difference. Madge has displayed over a few years now that he is not the adventurous,creative type.
He has basically just continued with the same old stuff which worked very well when he had the side early!!
But he hasn't really evolved as a coach & I don't think he will---he seems incapable of too much change!!
Most other clubs are reading Sths like a favourite book & it's been going on for far too long already!

Rabbits20

Immortal
If we got a new coach I'm sure they would clean the place out a bit.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Madge is a premiership winner. The roster is no where near premiership worthy. In saying that though the 2014 roster wasn't that great either. I remember looking at the 2014 roster at the start of the year and thinking we were gonna struggle to be in the 8.

Pommy

Coach
Yes I think Madge will be successful if he goes elsewhere but his methods will only work for a limited time.
If your hard on people constantly people will just stop paying attention.

DiegoNT

First Grade
I think we are going through similar problems that the tigers went through in 2012-2013. In 2010-11 they had a gun side, and were favourites for 2012. Then it all fell apart. They had a whole range of issues, A board of clowns, a coach losing his touch, players having to much power especially the overpaid/under performing ones. The playing group become divided, guys like Fifita, gibbs and heighington were pushed out and ended up having success at other clubs. The solution was to sack sheens. Then a few years later the solution was to sack Potter. Then the solution was to sack Taylor. Tigers are still a shambles.
While Maguires coaching may be A problem, it isn't THE problem going on with our club. There is no use replacing Maguire without fixing the other problems. You need to put the players on notice ( and this doesn't mean sack the duds), you need to fix the management problems, which would be for the ceo/football manager to have complete control of the football side of things and for all others to butt out if we get rid of the coach.

Pommy

Coach
I have to agree with Diego whilst I think Madges time has come to the end a new coach isn't going to fix all the issues.
But it would be a good start.

rabbitohs95

Bench
Lets not excuse the terrible luck with injuries we've had. Its fair to say we have a better squad this year than we did last year and considering the job they did at the back end of the season, our best team now should be competing for the 8.

No doubt this year is a building year but Its not doom and gloom just yet.

I have faith in both the coaching staff and squad we can build up back to our best. I do think we're a few players short of competing for the title, but I think the coach is fine. Just needs to tweak his style a little bit.

callmack1

Staff member
Lets not excuse the terrible luck with injuries we've had. Its fair to say we have a better squad this year than we did last year and considering the job they did at the back end of the season, our best team now should be competing for the 8.

No doubt this year is a building year but Its not doom and gloom just yet.

I have faith in both the coaching staff and squad we can build up back to our best. I do think we're a few players short of competing for the title, but I think the coach is fine. Just needs to tweak his style a little bit.
My thoughts exactly, a tweak of our style. I think this has been done to some degree, we saw in the early rounds we were throwing the ball around a bit more. However, we have dropped off in this area in recent weeks and even in these early rounds, it still wasn't enough.

rabbitohs95

Bench
My thoughts exactly, a tweak of our style. I think this has been done to some degree, we saw in the early rounds we were throwing the ball around a bit more. However, we have dropped off in this area in recent weeks and even in these early rounds, it still wasn't enough.
I think the players are to blame more so than the coach. The twins, Reynolds Turner and Sutton need to do more because we have young guys that need as much help as they can get.

southsport

First Grade
I think the players are to blame more so than the coach. The twins, Reynolds Turner and Sutton need to do more because we have young guys that need as much help as they can get.

Yes, but it's the coaches job to get them to perform if they are not performing.

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
the bottom line is our back line is too young and not up to 1st grade standard bar- inglis aj goodwin cody and reyno....these forwards are duds- clark tyrrell turner rochow cherro gosiewski greinke so we have a shiiit team .! we need a huge clean out or stay as as a shiiiiiiit team in 2018/19 and be uncompetitive....Shadow...

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
duds cant perform thats why they are duds ie:kelly nielsen and co.....Shadow.....fug me the dont knowers really aint got a clue r20....

doyen

Bench

A good coach has to be able to rally & motivate his players.

Once the rot sets in that can be very difficult.

Just ask John Longmire at the Swans!!

Why aren't 5 or 6 players earning their keep??? It's the coach's job to come up with the answers & some plans;new plans-----not just extremely minimal TWEAKING!!!

The only thing that's changed for Sths is the large breath of fresh air provided by Cody WALKER & the adventurous style of play he provides!! That's Cody's natural ability;not Madge's coaching ability!!

Last edited:

DiegoNT

First Grade
Once Madge realises that players have to go and we actually start rebuilding properly things should improve.

I get the feeling maguire doesn't have as much control on who stays and who goes as we think.
Mcinnes, Keary and walker where all players he nurtured, yet out the door they go. Guys like the twins seemingly can't be touched. I always felt cook was forced on maguire. His reluctance to pick him was evident for most of last season and even this year he started behind farah.
In 2015 he had control. Grant, stewart and millard where his signings and none really worked out. Thats when i feel he was nurtured. Since then every sighing has had a crowe or richardson feel about it

Rabbit toes

First Grade
I get the feeling maguire doesn't have as much control on who stays and who goes as we think.
Mcinnes, Keary and walker where all players he nurtured, yet out the door they go. Guys like the twins seemingly can't be touched. I always felt cook was forced on maguire. His reluctance to pick him was evident for most of last season and even this year he started behind farah.
In 2015 he had control. Grant, stewart and millard where his signings and none really worked out. Thats when i feel he was nurtured. Since then every sighing has had a crowe or richardson feel about it
It would surprise me tbh. I can imagine that after the way 2015 panned out Rustys ego got the better of him and he started corrupted the admin side of the club.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade

It's the problem when a millionaire controls a club. The positives about the Burgess' though is the fact that they're young which I only thought about today. It's not too late for them to turn things around.

Pommy

Coach
Mcinnes, Keary and walker where all players he nurtured, yet out the door they go. Guys like the twins seemingly can't be touched.

Keary and walker made their positions untenable. You can't absolve them of their contributions to leaving the club.
As for the twins they're untouchable because we're paying them too much and we would have to pay them to play somewhere else. If the twins tell the owner he's a merkin and OD and then bitch about the punishment without repercussions I might concede the point.