What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Samoa v Fiji

Burns

First Grade
Well now actual here is this from the Rugby League Samoa Facebook page:

"TOA SQUAD REMAINS TOP SECRET

Toa Samoa coach, Matt Parish, was not giving away much about his squad for the historic test against Fiji Bati at Apia Park yesterday.

With news that the team is likely to be without stars Joey Leilua and Junior Paulo – among others – who have already been snapped up by Australia and New Zealand, Parish said all will be revealed on Monday when the team is named.

“The team will be officially announced on Monday as part of the protocol of the International Rugby League. It will be announced when the Australian and New Zealand team arrive,” he said.

Told that the Fiji Bati has already announced their official team filled with National Rugby League (N.R.L), experienced Parish said he had seen the list too.

“That’s a very strong team they’ve picked,” he said.

“There are many N.R.L stars. I think I counted eight players that played against us in the World Cup in 2013, the team that beat us.

So we’re looking to avenge that defeat. While they’ve got a very strong squad, no doubt our team we will assemble here in Apia will be one of the strongest teams that Rugby League Samoa has been able to put on the field. It’s a very exciting time.”

Team Manager, Andrew Farrar, is excited.

“The team we’ve seen on paper for Fiji are worthy opponents and I think it will be a battle royale,” he said.

“We have a bit of momentum, our team, in the last couple Pacific Tests, and two years ago in the 4 Nations and we want to continue that on.”

The match next Saturday is not only history in the making but also an exhilarating opportunity for Rugby League Samoa.

“From a Rugby League Samoa point of view, it’s a very exciting time,” Parish said.

“Not only is it the first Pacific test in the Pacific ever, we’re leading up to next year’s World Cup, which is possibly going to be the strongest and most equal World Cup ever.

“I’ve got an idea that Samoa is going to be very competitive in that 2017 World Cup.”

Parish used the opportunity to call for support.

“I think it’s very important that the people of Samoa come and support this game. A lot of people have been working very hard to get these international players to Samoa for the first time.

“It’s the first test match in the Pacific. The Samoan team needs your support so we urge everyone to get behind us and watch a great day of rugby league.”

The game will be broadcasted live in Australia on Fox Sports and across the Pacific Islands. Some of the squad members are scheduled to arrive tonight.""

~~~~~~

Few things:
1) The game is live on Fox!! HUGE news, I wasn't aware of that - ratings will be interesting (not sure what time AEST)
2) Junior Paulo was in a photo posted by the same Facebook page at Sydney Airport bound for Samoa. So not sure what is doing there.
3) Also, how great is Parish's line about 'international protocol' and not naming team til after Australia and New Zealand :confused:

Burns

First Grade
I reckon these smaller nations should aim to get in early. Pick players who might be borderline on Aus selection before Aus does.
Everyone else already has, seems to be a Samoa thing to wait til the last minute. Happened during the last 4 Nations I believe.

deluded pom?

Coach
I reckon these smaller nations should aim to get in early. Pick players who might be borderline on Aus selection before Aus does.
Why? The Aussies and Kiwis will pick who they want. They won't respect the fact that Samoa have already chosen a player if they want him. Besides,what's the point in picking a player who may not want to actually play for you?

adamkungl

Immortal
Why? The Aussies and Kiwis will pick who they want. They won't respect the fact that Samoa have already chosen a player if they want him. Besides,what's the point in picking a player who may not want to actually play for you?

The players can either say yes or no if offered a spot. If they say no and decide to hold out for Aus or NZ, no harm done, Samoa knows where they stand. If they say yes then backtrack a week or two later, Samoa knows they're merkins not worth dealing with in future.
But maybe they'll actually say yes and stick if given the chance early.

Quite simply, there's more chance of getting a stronger squad, even a small chance, maybe just 1 player, if they go early rather than wait for the leftovers

deluded pom?

Coach
The players can either say yes or no if offered a spot. If they say no and decide to hold out for Aus or NZ, no harm done, Samoa knows where they stand. If they say yes then backtrack a week or two later, Samoa knows they're merkins not worth dealing with in future.

Quite simply, there's more chance of getting a stronger squad, even a small chance, maybe just 1 player, if they go early rather than wait for the leftovers
Fair enough. I thought you meant select dual qualified players without consulting them and see which way they jump.

myrrh ken

First Grade

They're probably doing it precisely to avoid that situation and embarrass the player into backtracking if they aren't selected by Aus or Kiwis. Do you think they wouldn't want Milford Leilua and Paulo if available?

This is the unfortunate state of affairs for Samoa.

roughyedspud

Coach

Exactly...its time the 2nd tier nations took a stand against players who flit&fxxk about....and tell them if the fxxk off for a payday then they don't want them..

As ive said for years its about time we make players accountable and its about time governing bodies took a stand and told players to jog of if they are gonna dump them for a big 3 nation..

Being selected for your nation is a honour and a privilage....not something you do if you can be arsed or who pays you more!

geordie_saint

Juniors
As ive said for years its about time we make players accountable and its about time governing bodies took a stand and told players to jog of if they are gonna dump them for a big 3 nation..

I absolutely support this but I am not sure any governing body outside the big three has the will or appetite to do this. I applaud the Irish's recent announcement however and it would be interesting to see how far they go in terms of only selecting players who want to represent them and not nation hoppers.

Burns

First Grade
So,
No Frank Pritchard? Couldn't make the flight from England but Solomona can?
No Milford? Does that mean he is picked for Australia tomorrow?

supaman

Juniors
So,
No Frank Pritchard? Couldn't make the flight from England but Solomona can?
No Milford? Does that mean he is picked for Australia tomorrow?
Franks Pritchard still has finals rugby to play I think... Solomona's season finished a few weeks ago... I think Milford and leilua are in the kangaroos squad

supaman

Juniors
From the look of this team starting team should be....
1- David nofoaluma
2- ken maumalo
3- Tim lafai
4- Matthew wright
5- Denny Solomona
6- pita godinet
7- Mason lino
8- junior Paulo
9- kaysa Pritchard
10- Sam kasiano
11- Raymond Faitala Mariner
12- Lesson Ah Mau
13- Sauaso Sue

14- Erin Clarke
15- Bunty Afoa
16- Sam Lisone
17- James Gavet

supaman

Juniors
Hull FC were knocked out on the weekend.
From the look of the team all the players that played on the weekend are all not playing... Heaps of Samoans were in the sharks team not named as well... So that must be the reason why I guess

jim_57

Staff member
Live on Fox Sports 3, 6:30pm this Saturday. Awesome appetizer for the International season! Hopefully a sell out with high viewing numbers on Fox.

CQ Italia

Juniors
Live on Fox Sports 3, 6:30pm this Saturday. Awesome appetizer for the International season! Hopefully a sell out with high viewing numbers on Fox.
It says live on their website, but that will actually mean it's bout 6 hours delayed

On mine (Queensland) it has 630pm (730pm NSW assuming the website is correct)
The game starts 440pm in Samoa which is 1240pm in Queensland