What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SARL Results

griffo346

First Grade
Gday guys,im a new member who joined last week so sorry for updating an old thread but just want to say thannks to Obsulete.I love the Tigers link in your sig.

I played for the Tigers for 3 years (think it was 93 to 95. Played with Norths for 5 years prior to playing with the Bays) before shoulder issues took hold.
Great to flick through the pics on the website and even funnier to see me ol' mate Noel Walker,with HAIR!

I was reading a snippet on the website about an old mate of mine, Chris Shields. He was a great bloke to play along side. One first grade game at Thebby Oval against the Roosters i think it was, he was at lock (I was in the second row) and he made a bloody staggering 54 tackles in this perticular game. I think it was and may still be, a club record.

Great days they were, training out of the old tin shed down at West Beach dodging horse sh$t,fox's and rabbits. Tigers On Parade nights were awesome, Mobilong Prison preseason hits outs when they were in the comp, grog nights at our sponsor's Lennies at the Bay.

Good to see an old work mate of mine making his mark at the club,Stan Panda. We call him the Predator. His dreads and facial features make him a walk up for the role. Hope he has sorted his visa issues out.

Aaaaahhh,makes me want to put the boots back on.

Hey Mate,

Theres no reason why you dont come down and watch the boys train who knows you may get that desire again :crazy:

Mate Obsulete is now in Townsville and no doubt he has a eye on the Tigers from there. Im sure he will be back.

Mate im the secretary of the club :) and if didnt already know the Tigers are in Mitchell Park now (Mitchell Park Sports and Community Club).

can always pm me mate if you want to know anymore :)

training days are tuesday and thursdays 6-7:30-8pm

sbrpete

Juniors
Hey Mate,

Theres no reason why you dont come down and watch the boys train who knows you may get that desire again

Mate Obsulete is now in Townsville and no doubt he has a eye on the Tigers from there. Im sure he will be back.

Mate im the secretary of the club and if didnt already know the Tigers are in Mitchell Park now (Mitchell Park Sports and Community Club).

can always pm me mate if you want to know anymore

training days are tuesday and thursdays 6-7:30-8pm

Mate,my miss's will dead set skin me alive if I went near a footy field again.:lol:

A the tender age of 44 I think my playing days are shot,although,having said that, there was a fella at the club around my time called Johnny Friar. He was a bulldozer of a forward at the age of 51.

Im curious though,why the move to Mitchell Park?
I would understand a move like this back in my day as we had West Lakes at Royal Park,Tigers at WestBeach and the newly formed Cougers at the Adelaide Airport, all near enough in the same vacinity.
Other sides in my time....
Norths were out at Klemzig and Black Friars Ground.
Roosters out at Munno Parra.
Souths out at Morphetvale.
Para out at The Campus at Parafield.
Golden Grove out at Ladywood Drive.
Murray Bridge out at the Bridge.
Mobilong Prison...well....out of prison.:D

Mobilong was always a challenge for us. We did the pre season thing for 2 years against Mobilong.....in Mobilong. You see, we had 4 coppers in our side back then and we were warned plenty of times on the way up there to keep our gobs shut. Only a medium security prison but hell,it was intimidating to say the least. Scored me the BEST black eye i have ever had in my life playing up there.

Either way,Mitchell Park is a fair drive from Para Hills West.:oops:

Keep the website updated mate and I might get out and catch a game or 2 this season.;-)

griffo346

First Grade
Mate from what i am gathering and i dont know when it happened (as im still new to the club been here 2 yrs).
But the club folded (not sure when) and was re founded in its current spot (Mitchell Park) by Obsulete and a few others in 2005 (i think) and they went onto win the premierships in reserve grade and first grade in 2006(30 yr aniversary). 2007 had 3 grades in the grand final U18s,Reserve Grade and First Grade only to fall short in Reserve Grade and First Grade however U18s won.

The teams thats compete now are
Roosters (Elizabeth , Uley Road)
Eels (Dry Creek, West Torrens Rugby Union club)
Cougars (Baines Reserve Port Adelaide - Port Adelaide Rugby Club)
Norths (Hanson Reserve Windsor Gardens.)
Tigers - Mitchell Park - Bradley Grove Road and Quick Road Mitchell Park.
Bulldogs- Hackem-Doctors Road Hackem.

However im not sure about the other clubs you have listed like murray bridge the jail and golden grove.

Im not sure if you saw the other thread i posted here about the naming rights sponsor of the a-league trophy :) Kooga Clothing has that for 3 yrs now.

mate if you wanna come down let me know......BTW did you look at the player profiles to see if you remember anyone?

sbrpete

Juniors
LOL your kidding about the player profiles arent you.
Mate,those fella's are puppies on that profile site. Any ex player I would know would be grey, over weight and not so photogenic.:D
Having said that though, I do know Stan Panda only through working with him) and I think there was another fella from work who joined called Garth.

Its a shame really that there is no referance anywhere to those sides I mentioned. There is some history in those teams and to not have it on the internet anywhere is a travesty.

Murray Bridge provided SA with one of its greats of the game.A chap by the name of Murray Gaglear(sp). Damb hard unit to bring down and cost me many stitch's in my time. Part of their entry to the comp was they had to travel down to Adelaide all the time when our home and away season was canned for Thebby Oval. This eventually took its toll over the early years.

Mobilong Prison actually entered a side into the comp in the very early 90's thus our pre season hit outs with them. They actually made the finals one year but for obvious reasons were not permitted to play as all our games at that stage were played on Thebby Oval.

West Lakes only lasted 2 seasons I think. They wore the colours of Cronulla. Port Adelaide RUFC took offense to League setting up in their back yard and recruited VERY heavily to prevent league taking a foothold in their area. I now find it ironic that Cougars are playing out of their club.
When Cougars entered the comp in 92,they basicly poached the best players from all surrounding clubs and actually payed their payers with sponsorship money they snared from a new company on the scene in Adelaide at the time called Cash Converters.

Anyway mate......sorry for the rant.
Its just a shame that this sort of info isnt on the SARL website.

As the season draws closer i will touch base with you and hope to meet you one night out at the Clubrooms(if there is any lol).

griffo346

First Grade
mate its great to know all this cause i have only been in Adelaide since 2006.

I first approached the South Australian Rugby League and asked where my closest team was to get involved and mate they never replied it wasn't till i saw Mark Brown "obsulete" post results that i knew there was a club so i emailed him, he invited me down and i haven't left.

and mate please assist me with anything you remember about the tigers i will make sure the history will go up on the website. Please don't be scared to email me.

Mate i know its a long drive maybe you can come down next tuesday about 5pm (bring ya little kids if you have them) and they can come meet some sharks players and get free pass to the NRL game here in april.

about the other teams around mate i firmly belivie when Adelaide gets more of a foothold on NRL games we will see the SARL expand again :)

BTW mate you can call me at anytime on 0401968159 :)

obsulete

Juniors
You’re welcome pete.

Since your playing days the club moved to stakehouse st off anzac before moving to Mitchell Park (folding for a period in between each move) We remain at Mitchell Park as they kept our gear locked up in a storeroom at no cost hoping that we would re-emerge. It’s not ideal but it’s cheap.

When I first moved to Adelaide most Tigers boys were either running around for Bulldogs or Cougars as SARL had kicked them out of the comp about 3 years prior as they couldn’t field both first and reserve grade, so that first season back was a real buzz.

The Tigers of today has remnants of Jets/Warriors junior players throughout and without them the club would have struggled to gain its foothold when we came back. Saying that there are still guys running around today who would have been juniors back in your day so you may see a familiar face around the place.

Do you have any old pics from your Tigers days? John Elliott at the club would love a copy of them; he has taken it upon himself to piece the history of the club together. As the club has folded so often, and remained dormant in between most of the history has been lost. Putting an accurate history together is a time consuming and frustrating hobby without input from former players such as you.

If by chance, during your periods of reminiscing the good ol’ days, you have a pen and sheet of paper handy and can remember things i.e. key games, names of players, best and fairest??? Anything to add a piece to the puzzle it would be greatly appreciated by the club.

We’re determined that the club will never fold again and I can’t wait to get back to Adelaide to get back in amongst it.

Ohh and Garth whom you worked with still played up until a season ago, ‘Chubby’ he is affectionately known as around the club and no-one knows his true age, but it’s rumored to be closer to 60 than 50 if not over.

Parra and Grove merged, Norths just re-entered the comp last year and are senior only atm. Murray Bridge brought some junior teams down two seasons ago for a run but I don’t think they have much support, and the prison team would still be good (I think it’d be full of Bulldogs ;)

sbrpete

Juniors
mate its great to know all this cause i have only been in Adelaide since 2006.

I first approached the South Australian Rugby League and asked where my closest team was to get involved and mate they never replied it wasn't till i saw Mark Brown "obsulete" post results that i knew there was a club so i emailed him, he invited me down and i haven't left.

and mate please assist me with anything you remember about the tigers i will make sure the history will go up on the website. Please don't be scared to email me.

Mate i know its a long drive maybe you can come down next tuesday about 5pm (bring ya little kids if you have them) and they can come meet some sharks players and get free pass to the NRL game here in april.

about the other teams around mate i firmly belivie when Adelaide gets more of a foothold on NRL games we will see the SARL expand again :)

BTW mate you can call me at anytime on 0401968159 :)

Griffo.The SARL have always been appaling for communication mate.
My sons primary school a coulple of years ago,had an ARL rep come out and took the kids for a few runs and taught them a few skills. My son,knowing my footy background,informed a teacher of my history.The teacher touched base with me to see if i could assist in keeping this sort of out of school activity going.I mentioned that I would probably need the help and assistance/backing of the SARL. Many emails later,not a single bloody whisper.
AFL then comes begging to the kids doesnt it!!

Also........
I think it was around 89 or 90 when the SARL decided that there would be no more home and away games. Thebby Oval would be the Leagues new HQ with all games played there. I was playing for Norths then. When we all turned up to the oval after meeting at the Walkers Arms, no one told us we all had to pay an entrance fee to get into the bloody place.Players and spectators alike.
They have never been good communicators.

Thanks for the heads up on the training night but my son plays aussie rules and tonight is his training night. Besides,as a Dragons supporter, im liable to say something out of place.:lol:

My memories are vague but there "are" some left upstairs mate. I will be happy to assist where ever I can and will in touch one way or the other.;-)

sbrpete

Juniors
You’re welcome pete.

Since your playing days the club moved to stakehouse st off anzac before moving to Mitchell Park (folding for a period in between each move) We remain at Mitchell Park as they kept our gear locked up in a storeroom at no cost hoping that we would re-emerge. It’s not ideal but it’s cheap.

When I first moved to Adelaide most Tigers boys were either running around for Bulldogs or Cougars as SARL had kicked them out of the comp about 3 years prior as they couldn’t field both first and reserve grade, so that first season back was a real buzz.

The Tigers of today has remnants of Jets/Warriors junior players throughout and without them the club would have struggled to gain its foothold when we came back. Saying that there are still guys running around today who would have been juniors back in your day so you may see a familiar face around the place.

Do you have any old pics from your Tigers days? John Elliott at the club would love a copy of them; he has taken it upon himself to piece the history of the club together. As the club has folded so often, and remained dormant in between most of the history has been lost. Putting an accurate history together is a time consuming and frustrating hobby without input from former players such as you.

If by chance, during your periods of reminiscing the good ol’ days, you have a pen and sheet of paper handy and can remember things i.e. key games, names of players, best and fairest??? Anything to add a piece to the puzzle it would be greatly appreciated by the club.

We’re determined that the club will never fold again and I can’t wait to get back to Adelaide to get back in amongst it.

Ohh and Garth whom you worked with still played up until a season ago, ‘Chubby’ he is affectionately known as around the club and no-one knows his true age, but it’s rumored to be closer to 60 than 50 if not over.

Parra and Grove merged, Norths just re-entered the comp last year and are senior only atm. MurrayBridge brought some junior teams down two seasons ago for a run but I don’t think they have much support, and the prison team would still be good (I think it’d be full of Bulldogs ;)

Gday mate.
Its great to read about folks like yourself and Griffo trying to keep our great game alive here in SA.
As far as phots are concerned.....not many of them im afraid. Back then it was to expensive to get a 24 kodak film developed.:lol:
There were a few team shots taken from memory prior to season kick offs.
A bloke by the nick name of "strapper" (cant recall his real name) was the one who maintained that sort of stuff back then.
We also had the help of a young female strapper called Julie (I think it was). She was great to have around the club.I actually think she was the only female strapper in the league in those days.

Hey,while typing this,I do recall the original club rooms down at West Beach had to be bulldozed by order of council (around 91/92). They were built by players and friends who all had trades,a few years before my time. We were informed half way through the season that we would not be able to access the clubroom due to safety reasons.lol.
We ended up using the Softball Club ground up the road a bit for the rest of the season.
The following season,the club relocated to PHOS Camden Football Club and brokered a deal with them to share facilities. I recall at least one full season's training there. My footy career finished about 4 games into the following season due to a badly dislocated shoulder for the 2nd time in my footy career.The club were going to give me my 11 jumper to keep as a thankyou for years of service but some a$$hole at the club sold it on me
and it was never replaced.LOLOL.

Hell,here i go again guys.Sorry for my rant here but when i start............haha.

obsulete

Juniors
haha glad to see some things never change.. I had a jersey that was promised to me disappear not so long ago too..

anyway welcome back to the fold, and even if it's at Norths instead of Tigers I'm sure Griffo and I will catch up for a beer with you

sbrpete

Juniors
haha glad to see some things never change.. I had a jersey that was promised to me disappear not so long ago too..

anyway welcome back to the fold, and even if it's at Norths instead of Tigers I'm sure Griffo and I will catch up for a beer with you

Mate,my heart will always be with the Tige's.
Keep that beer cold ay.Im sure we will all enjoy a yak or 2 sooner rather than later.;-)

To update this thread..
The current season has two senior grades made up of Cougars RLC, Eels RLC, Tigers RLC, South Adelaide, Central Districts and Northern Districts.
Even competition this season so far, Norths and Tigers look to be the front runners.

The state sides were selected Sat night after Northern City v Southern City rep game.

The competition has fallen away in previous seasons, and in all honesty was poorly run. The SARL has had a full clean out over the past 6-8 months, have new development officers and a new General manager who all seem to be very focussed and goal orientated.

I think this will be a transition year for the SA comp as it aims to become more professionally run and grow, and i anticipate next year will reap the benefits.

The SARL has announced its 20 man squad to compete in the Open age Affiliated State Championships to be held at Hindmarsh stadium over the June long weekend.

Daniel WILSON - Tigers,
Darren WILLIAMS - Norths,
Steve KIM - Tigers,
Jae GEERSE - Norths,
Carl SEYMOUR - Eels,
Craig FINNERTY - Norths,
Anselm FATIAKI - Roosters,
Adam LEVI - Roosters,
Chris BARTLETT - Tigers,
Brent STRONG - Tigers,
Martin O'ROURKE - Eels,
Ben JAMES - Tigers,
Mark GRIBOVSKIS - Roosters,
Luke CLEGG - Tigers,
Heath TIFFIN - Souths,
Dave TYRRELL - Norths,
Daniel BLACK - Tigers,
Jamie McCAFFERTY - Norths,
Donald CLUNE - Souths,
Ashref MOHAMMAD - Roosters

This is the youngest side SA has put on the pitch in an extremely long time! Possibly one of the fittest as well.

Zigwaa

Bench
We got punished, WA defeated SA 60 - 10, Vic defeated SA 58-16, NT defeated SA 48 - 6.

SA was improved but couldn't compete at the same intensity as the other states for the whole game.

Zigwaa

Bench
First Grade SARL GF will be played between Tigers RLC and Nothern Districts Dragons at Hindmarsh Stadium Saturday 10 September 4:30pm.

Should be a good game.