What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SBW to Roosters

BennyV

Referee
It's not going to happen, plus the NRL have stated they won't register a contract of that type - end of rumour.
Indeed, I'd say there would be real issues with his payments from union being counted as third party payments, or something to that effect.

Gareth67

First Grade
I agree with you Possm but it wont happen.....its like the so called draw that supposed to be fair and even to all clubs.....thats why the NRL allow the Broncos to play almost every Thursday and Friday nights with a seven and eight day turn around...because they know they get 30 odd thousand at Suncorp every game ....thats not a draw thats selective pairing with one club getting a huge advantage....its all about dollars not necessarily designed to be fair and equal imo

Poleeeease - don't get me started .

Seoul Dragon

Juniors
Really it is no joking matter. The cap was invented to even out the competition. The only way to solve this problem is to enforce the cap. Make it so that all player payments are to come under the cap and that TPA's are to be organised by the NRL under strict criteria that is fair and even for all clubs.

Yep, the NRLs rubbery, manipulable TPA scheme potentially at work again???

Or -- here's a brave idea, bear with me -- we could figure out how TPAs work and use them to our advantage just like Easts, Melbourne and Brisbane do. Melbourne have a roster that's earning $762,000 more than ours because of TPAs. If we could amortise that sort of amount across our roster and put together some TPAs, we could put in a bid for Sonny Bill Williams too. We're short a backrower after we cut Thompson and I reckon Williams might be better than Host, Leilua and Sims.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Or -- here's a brave idea, bear with me -- we could figure out how TPAs work and use them to our advantage just like Easts, Melbourne and Brisbane do. Melbourne have a roster that's earning $762,000 more than ours because of TPAs. If we could amortise that sort of amount across our roster and put together some TPAs, we could put in a bid for Sonny Bill Williams too. We're short a backrower after we cut Thompson and I reckon Williams might be better than Host, Leilua and Sims.

requires high level management to have excellent contacts within the business community who will sponsor players like that ... We cannot compete with Politis or one team towns where business can invest in players for marketing etc.

It's not going to happen, plus the NRL have stated they won't register a contract of that type - end of rumour.

That's not entirely what they said though is it.
They said they wouldn't register a "short term contract" to play after August, it would have to be a contract in the order of a couple of years.

Gareth67

First Grade
Yep I know mate.....I bring the subject up at least once or twice a season on here.....know it wont change but it makes me feel better

I done a bit of a ' song and dance' about this a couple of years ago and was surprised to receive a reply from NRL headquarters , very surprised in fact . However they explained this and that to me so as to alleviate any concerns that I may had , in regards to the procedure of the draw .

Well , I am no rocket scientist that's for sure , but how it can occur that one team can constantly receive ( on a yearly basis ) the same 7 day turn around and it's inherent advantages still has me stumped .

Last edited:

SBD82

Coach
I done a bit of a ' song and dance' about this a couple of years ago and was surprised to receive a reply from NRL headquarters , very surprised in fact . However they explained this and that to me so as to alleviate any concerns that I may had , in regards to the procedure of the draw .

Well , I am no rocket scientist that's for sure , but how it can occur that one team can constantly receive ( on a yearly basis ) the same 7 day turn around and it's inherent advantages still has me stumped . The Dragons have 5 x 5 day turn arounds this season , unblievable.
Is that serious? 5 x 5 day turnarounds?

At the very least that's incompetence.

Gareth67

First Grade
Is that serious? 5 x 5 day turnarounds?

At the very least that's incompetence.

I had misread the information, SBD82 , In fact it is only 3 , sorry if I gave you a scare . In fact just having a quick look at our draw it's not as bad as I first thought , Dragons can make the 8 if they play good footy .

Last edited:

SBD82

Coach
I may had misread the information, but I do not believe so SBD82 , I am sure that we do have 5 . That and playing most of the top guns in the comp. twice will certainly have a huge bearing on our final 8 chances .
At the risk of being introduced to your hogs, I'd never second guess you Gareth.

Was just expressing my exasperation.

SaintPauli

Juniors
I agree. The Arl merged with superleague and kept the history of the Arl because it was a the richer history, Dragons merging with Illawarra is no different really. We should've kept the richer side of history, otherwise I demand the NRL stop using the ARL past.
So on the dragons website today we had radio personality John Stanley talking to all St George players about the St George dragons and illawarras rich history. As merged clubs both histories should be maintained in the record books not eradicated as I have already said.

requires high level management to have excellent contacts within the business community who will sponsor players like that ... We cannot compete with Politis or one team towns where business can invest in players for marketing etc.

Dude, that's a description of the situation, not an excuse for it. TPAs are part of the financial landscape and we're the worst team in the league at putting them together. It's an indictment of Doust and the board. I don't expect us to come up with $788K in TPAs, but half of that is a realistic expectation for a professional and commercially competent sporting organisation with a marketable brand underpinning it. $26K is an embarrassment.

It's literally our biggest failure.

RufusRex

Post Whore
I agree ... it is a huge failure because we have dolts not doyens in charge .. and we look to be replacing like for like.

Life's Good

Coach
Dude, that's a description of the situation, not an excuse for it. TPAs are part of the financial landscape and we're the worst team in the league at putting them together. It's an indictment of Doust and the board. I don't expect us to come up with $788K in TPAs, but half of that is a realistic expectation for a professional and commercially competent sporting organisation with a marketable brand underpinning it. $26K is an embarrassment.

It's literally our biggest failure.
‘.....r**t in a brothel’ is what springs to mind when it comes to our administration.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade

Well , I am no rocket scientist that's for sure , but how it can occur that one team can constantly receive ( on a yearly basis ) the same 7 day turn around and it's inherent advantages still has me stumped .
Yes Gareth and if you look at last years draw I think it was, they never played a weekend game till round 10 or 11...unbelievable

Gareth67

First Grade
Yes Gareth and if you look at last years draw I think it was, they never played a weekend game till round 10 or 11...unbelievable

With my usual humor put to one side , there is absolutely no reason for any team in any type of competitive team sport to be given any advantage , however slim , over their opposition . None whatsoever . So without covering the same ground as before , in my eyes Brisbane have always been given a most unfair advantage which actually equates to competition points . The points themselves are from those ever so close matches against teams whom had played only recently , with their turn around not being sufficient to allow them time to recover when pitted against a rested opponent.

Naturally this has occurred since the Television deal , with Nine informing the NRL whom WILL be playing what games on their network . As such the NRL has now become nothing more than a toothless tiger in this particular matter , with Nine undermining the fairness and equality of the premiership itself.

Too harsh ? - not from my point of view , as a fair go for all was part of my upbringing .

Last edited:

Latest posts