What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scotland boss resigns

Perth Red

Post Whore
Its partly class bigotry, partly old wounds from the original split and partly the fact the two codes are in direct competition with each other. We shouldn't expect anything less and if we are failing it is due to our own inaction rather than their action.

Scotland is a great example, our total lack of investment and action is why there is no RL presence in that country, not because every attempt has been thwarted by Scottish RU.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I've always thought RL would be better targeting countries where Union has little presence and where the natural physical attributes of the blokes make them good for RL.
Germany
Scandinavia
Bahamas and Caribbean
USA
Russia
etc

Those are the countries we should be going after big time

roughyedspud

Coach
In a ideal world he should have been the full-time director of rugby at the SRL as well as national coach...but alas no..

Knownothing

Juniors
Its partly class bigotry, partly old wounds from the original split and partly the fact the two codes are in direct competition with each other. We shouldn't expect anything less and if we are failing it is due to our own inaction rather than their action.

Scotland is a great example, our total lack of investment and action is why there is no RL presence in that country, not because every attempt has been thwarted by Scottish RU.

Class consciousness is a factor. In Australia, Australian Rules Football has prospered partly because it has always been seen as open to everybody, from the richest to the poorest, and it has always had a lot of female supporters. I was amazed when I moved to Melbourne to work in the eighties, the crowds at VFL games were very different to the crowds at rugby league games iin Sydney. This has helped the AFL get a foothold in GPS Schools in Sydney, it is seen as a sport with a bit of prestige attached to it. That is one of the things that people pay big money for when they choose an expensive school.

But tradition is the biggest reason that fee paying schools, and the older universities, are rusted on rugby union strongholds.

It is a cop-out to talk about bigotry. It would be far better to look at the real reasons, and learn from them, wherever possible. Somebody who follows his father into a particular school, college, or university and who does so partly because of family traditions is not a bigot.

langpark

First Grade
Rugby Union is nowhere as powerful in those countries, so they have less obstacles to overcome.
Yes but things are civilised in Scotland. In parts of Europe you get threatened with arrest for even daring to play rugby league matches because it is supposedly 'owned' by rugby union (Bosnia, Greece, Turkey etc.) I bet things never got even close to that hostile in Scotland.

langpark

First Grade
Bar pockets in the south of France, who plays either code in continental Europe?

What, you seriously don't know? Go back earlier in the thread, you will see I've given a list of nearly a dozen countries in Europe where there's currently more RL development going on than in Scotland.

roughyedspud

Coach
Let's not chuck the baby out with the bath water here...

People are taking the fact that they've gone from 4 to 3 clubs as that's all they do..firstly Aberdeen warriors have said they are willing to come back if there's a better structure in place,there's also 2 development clubs working to get off the ground....plus under 19s,students, Scotland 'A' and the wheelchair team

So let's stop acting like there's zero happening in Scotland!

langpark

First Grade

People are taking the fact that they've gone from 4 to 3 clubs as that's all they do..firstly Aberdeen warriors have said they are willing to come back if there's a better structure in place,there's also 2 development clubs working to get off the ground....plus under 19s,students, Scotland 'A' and the wheelchair team

I agree with you, we are all RL fans and we all want Scotland to be a success!

But what I don't like is people portraying them as victims when in fact they are getting extra concessions and funding that others aren't. That's my only gripe here.

deluded pom?

Coach

People are taking the fact that they've gone from 4 to 3 clubs as that's all they do..!
I thought even the other two teams couldn't raise a team to travel to Aberdeen thus forcing AW's hands to wrap up?

DC80

Juniors
It is a cop-out to talk about bigotry. It would be far better to look at the real reasons, and learn from them, wherever possible. Somebody who follows his father into a particular school, college, or university and who does so partly because of family traditions is not a bigot.
Right. This alludes to what I mentioned about cultural identity, of which sport is a part. To label a private school as bigoted you might as well label a working class former mining town bigots for following RL and not RU.

The small pockets in England where RU and RL have any presence have their own culture. You cannot force someone to change their cultural identity as Stallion seems to advocate. Timothy and his private school chums enjoy their meet ups at RU clubs. Middle class families having their picnics outside Twickenham, what right has anyone to alter this? Likewise working class families in the former coal mining towns in the north of England who attend RL games, should that be infringed upon?

What, you seriously don't know? Go back earlier in the thread, you will see I've given a list of nearly a dozen countries in Europe where there's currently more RL development going on than in Scotland.
I should have been clearer, I mean where in continental Europe is there any prominent RL or RU being played. You could name hundreds of sports that are played in various places - there are American football teams in England - but since the subject was on how "powerful" RU supposedly was by trampling on RL's progress in these places. Having games played infront of a dozen family members hardly validates such a claim. RU has no power.

Last edited:

bowes

Juniors

There aren't three clubs in Scotland. There and two and both of them struggled to travel to away games last season. A nominal fourth team was listed on the fixtures but they never actually played any games. I really don't see what you can do with two clubs that struggle to raise a team to play each other, let alone anyone from the North East

Pommy

Coach
The small pockets in England where RU and RL have any presence have their own culture. You cannot force someone to change their cultural identity as Stallion seems to advocate. Timothy and his private school chums enjoy their meet ups at RU clubs. Middle class families having their picnics outside Twickenham, what right has anyone to alter this? Likewise working class families in the former coal mining towns in the north of England who attend RL games, should that be infringed upon?

We played zero union in my school it just wasn’t a thing.
All I knew about the sport was my step dad (huge RL tragic) telling me they were all shandy drinking southern wankers.
I remember the 2003 union World Cup final being the first time I ever sat down to watch a game at the age of 18 and being bored to tears in the process.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I had an interview when I was 12 at a private school in Hull and when they asked me what sports I played I said RL, they replied they didn't play League, only Union. Needless to say I decided to go to a different school!

Interestingly, and very surprisingly given how snobby this school is, they employed an ex Hull KR coach as PE teacher and he managed to get RL played there a decade later. A pretty impressive feat I must say!

Pommy

Coach
I had an interview when I was 12 at a private school in Hull and when they asked me what sports I played I said RL, they replied they didn't play League, only Union. Needless to say I decided to go to a different school!

Interestingly, and very surprisingly given how snobby this school is, they employed an ex Hull KR coach as PE teacher and he managed to get RL played there a decade later. A pretty impressive feat I must say!

Stallions mind blown!!!!

deluded pom?

Coach

Which school was it PR? We’re not exactly inundated with private schools in Hull. Hymers?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Which school was it PR? We’re not exactly inundated with private schools in Hull. Hymers?

Yeh Hymers. they nearly choked on their Earl Grey when I told them I was a massive rugby League fan lol. Went to Trinity House instead as they played League (and did cool things like sailing)!

deluded pom?

Coach
Yeh Hymers. they nearly choked on their Earl Grey when I told them I was a massive rugby League fan lol. Went to Trinity House instead as they played League (and did cool things like sailing)!
On Welton Waters? I live not far from there.