What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

scott dureau

billy2

Juniors
If Uate is Australian, Scotty D is as French as garlic snails. I mean, his name sounds vaguely French, and since he doesn't know where the name originates, it might be.

Misanthrope

Staff member
If Uate is Australian, Scotty D is as French as garlic snails. I mean, his name sounds vaguely French, and since he doesn't know where the name originates, it might be.

It should just be place of birth. No more of this El Masri (Lebanon); Uate, Civoniceva (Fiji); and Willie Mason (New Zealand) BS.

Same goes for the Brent Webbs of the world.

WireMan

Bench
The current residency rule is a waste of time. Players will invariably play in one of four countries as a full time pro. Brent Webb is Australian but played for NZ under the residency rule. He is now eligible for England under the same rules yet only came to England to continue his club career. If he so desired he could move to France to play for the Dragons for three years thus making him eligible for France. A joke scenario but a possible one. The longer the big three keep the international game to themselves the longer jokes like this will be allowed to happen. If we do have to have a residency rule then there has to be some form of commitment from the player besides taking the money from his club for three years. A passport is a must.

How does a thread about Dureau playing for France turn into another crying session about the big three?
We get it, you don't like the international game.

FFS can we not just have a moaning thread so all the posts can go into there.

Instead of the troll dump, a moan dump.

deluded pom?

Coach
How does a thread about Dureau playing for France turn into another crying session about the big three?
We get it, you don't like the international game.

FFS can we not just have a moaning thread so all the posts can go into there.

Instead of the troll dump, a moan dump.

FFS we get it you think everything is all sweetness and light in the world. I would love to like the international game but it's been hijacked by three nations who want to keep it to themselves. I'll whinge and moan if I want to. If you don't like it put me on ignore. PM me and I'll show you what to do.

WireMan

Bench
FFS we get it you think everything is all sweetness and light in the world. I would love to like the international game but it's been hijacked by three nations who want to keep it to themselves. I'll whinge and moan if I want to. If you don't like it put me on ignore. PM me and I'll show you what to do.

You don't like the international game so you chose a Dureau possibly playing for FRANCE thread to moan about the big 3.

I never said don't moan. I suggested if you must do it, do it in a thread thats its close to relevant.

Evil Homer

Staff member
given that the residency law is actually the only law we enforce its bleeding ridiculous to whinge about it :lol:

also does anyone actually think of the implications of changing it to 5 years...or getting rid of the heritage law?, as many of the same posters want...

it would instantly kill international development & stop hundreds upon hundreds of players playing international RL....

as hutch says the issues we have is nation switching and sticking to rules we already have
WTF? How on earth do you work out that changing the residency rule from 3 years to 5 or requiring citizenship would 'instantly kill international development'? All it would is stop certain nations from fielding ringers with no affiliation to the country, if players legitimately wanted to play then they would still be able to. I don't want to see the residency rule scrapped, I wouldn't have a problem if it was implemented correctly but at the moment it isn't. I agree that the nation swapping is a bigger issue, but this is still an issue.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
WTF? How on earth do you work out that changing the residency rule from 3 years to 5 or requiring citizenship would 'instantly kill international development'? All it would is stop certain nations from fielding ringers with no affiliation to the country, if players legitimately wanted to play then they would still be able to. I don't want to see the residency rule scrapped, I wouldn't have a problem if it was implemented correctly but at the moment it isn't. I agree that the nation swapping is a bigger issue, but this is still an issue.

The residency rule is the most embarrasingly shocking rule of all time. I can go live in Japan for 50 years but it still doesn't make me Japanese.

Heritage rule is OK beause at least it's part of who you are and you would have been raised in the culture and customs of your parents.

WireMan

Bench
The residency rule is the most embarrasingly shocking rule of all time. I can go live in Japan for 50 years but it still doesn't make me Japanese.

Heritage rule is OK beause at least it's part of who you are and you would have been raised in the culture and customs of your parents.

So if you moved to Japan when you were a 1 year old, and grew up there, lived there, happy to stay there for the rest of your life you can't play for them.

But if your Grandad moved out of Japan when he was one, married a good Aussie woman who had a child in Aus, who had a kid called bluebags who lives in Australia, learnt in Australia and is happy to never leave or visit Japan. You are better to play for Japan, if your chances for playing for Aus a zero and they offer you a nice wad of cash for doing so?

GCCowboy

Juniors
So if you moved to Japan when you were a 1 year old, and grew up there, lived there, happy to stay there for the rest of your life you can't play for them.

But if your Grandad moved out of Japan when he was one, married a good Aussie woman who had a child in Aus, who had a kid called bluebags who lives in Australia, learnt in Australia and is happy to never leave or visit Japan. You are better to play for Japan, if your chances for playing for Aus a zero and they offer you a nice wad of cash for doing so?

Well said, the heritage rule is the biggest farce in international league, with residancy people have to bear in mind that 3yrs is in most cases 1/2 of the players professional career so it is fairly significant commitment to that region.

Also has anyone actually lived in a country for 3 years, I have and I have a strong bond with that countries people and culture that I will keep with me for life, on the other hand my mother is dutch and I could not give two hoots about those clog wearers, but maybe my kids could play for them....

Bluebags1908

Juniors

I think you are drawing a very, very, very, very, very, very, long bow there. But, to cater for the example you describe above perhaps the residency rule could be extended to 10 years (meaning you pretty much had to grow up there) or you have to marry a local.

What I hate is players like Nathan Fein playing for New Zealand. He only moved to New Zealand for 'work purposes' to pursue a professional sporting career. The minute that contract ended he was on the first plane out of the country. When he retires he will probably go back to country Queensland somewhere - he is not a New Zealander, but because he just happened to live there to fulfill a $$$ sporting contract with the Warriors he then plays from New Zealand all beasue a miniscule 3 years of his life was spent there. What about the 25 or whatever years he spent living in Australia doesn't that count for anything?

Clint Greenshields is another one. He is not French. When he retires do think he will live in France or go back to Australia?

The current rule is open to mercenaries who will never come baack to the country as soon as they pay cheque is finished.

Last edited:

Bluebags1908

Juniors
Well said, the heritage rule is the biggest farce in international league, with residancy people have to bear in mind that 3yrs is in most cases 1/2 of the players professional career so it is fairly significant commitment to that region.

Also has anyone actually lived in a country for 3 years, I have and I have a strong bond with that countries people and culture that I will keep with me for life, on the other hand my mother is dutch and I could not give two hoots about those clog wearers, but maybe my kids could play for them....

Rubbish. 3 years living soewhere is NOTHING over the course of a person's lifetime. See my previous post ^

Heritage rule is fine because blook is thicker than water.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
You need to spend a minimum of 5 years in France to become a resident, 8-10 I believe to become a citizen.

Dureau wil not be considered a resident by the French government next year in any case. He is a damn handy player though.

milton

Juniors
1. Greenshields
2. Stacul
3. Duport
4. Baile
5. Vaccari
6. Bosc
7. Dureau
8. Ferriol
9. Pelliser
10. Casty
11. Baitiri
12. Elima (c)
13. Mounis

14. Simon
15. Fakir
16. Raguin
17. Gossard

18. Rinaldi

Solid team

billy2

Juniors
James Wynne was a Knights second string halfback who played for France for years, and is now back in Aus.
From memory he went to France in 2002 (was stinking up the Knights reserves in 2001) and i'm sure he was playing for France well before 2007 (5 years). In fact, 2008 was when he finished his long career for France in the World Cup.

Bronco Rob

Juniors
1. Greenshields
2. Stacul
3. Duport
4. Baile
5. Vaccari
6. Bosc
7. Dureau
8. Ferriol
9. Pelliser
10. Casty
11. Baitiri
12. Elima (c)
13. Mounis

14. Simon
15. Fakir
16. Raguin
17. Gossard

18. Rinaldi

Solid team

Greenshields has quoted that he wants to come back to Australia. More or less deserting the nation that he has pledged his allegience to. The current ridiculous residency rule really hurts the creditibility of the international game.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
Greenshields has quoted that he wants to come back to Australia. More or less deserting the nation that he has pledged his allegience to. The current ridiculous residency rule really hurts the creditibility of the international game.

That's exactly my point. Residency rule should be scrapped, or at the very least they have to marry a local or live there more a considerable portion of their life, and certainly not a paltry 3 years for the sake of taking up a professional sporting contract. As soon as the contract is finished Fein and Greenshields are on a plane and never to be seen again in their 'country'.

billy2

Juniors
really hurts the creditibility of the international game.
People are always saying this or that 'hurt's credibility', and none of it does because the only people who care are a few people on here.

The only thing that would truely 'hurt credibility' would be if we served up lousy football, and the more good players we can get on the field the less likely that will happen.

Evil Homer

Staff member
That's exactly my point. Residency rule should be scrapped, or at the very least they have to marry a local or live there more a considerable portion of their life, and certainly not a paltry 3 years for the sake of taking up a professional sporting contract. As soon as the contract is finished Fein and Greenshields are on a plane and never to be seen again in their 'country'.
They should need to get a passport, it's as simple as that. To be fair to Greenshields, he said in the article regarding his departure that he does feel partly French. I wouldn't be surprised if he continues to play for France in the future, which I would have no problem with.

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
1. Greenshields
2. Stacul
3. Duport
4. Baile
5. Vaccari
6. Bosc
7. Dureau
8. Ferriol
9. Pelliser
10. Casty