What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scott Hill - How Good Is He

Stormwarning[c]

Juniors
I agree that Chan has been a good get for us, but what cheesed me and many others off was that the Club wouldn't talk to any other player while they waited for Hill.

One man doesn't make the team, Hill IMO far from it.

I haven't seen the article you are referring to about Hill, but I would guess it relates to early on in Orfords Melbourne career. I have heard Hill say that he felt he needed to take a lot of the pressure off Orford, but having seen him play last year, he reasessed his opinion and realised how good Orford was and that he could go back to his standard role as 5/8th.
As I said, I haven't seen the article, but I hope you haven't taken the quote out of context, or you could become a league journalist!!! As for the 2 games you say Hill lost us this year, I assume one is the Penrith game, where we should never have been that far behind, and playing catch up football we needed to try something at the end. Most players wouldn't have made the break that lead to the bad pass, so I blame the team for the first 55 or 60 mins where we lost the game. The second one, i can't think of, so please enlighten me

Stormwarning[c]

Juniors
steaming stormer said:
I haven't seen the article you are referring to about Hill, but I would guess it relates to early on in Orfords Melbourne career. I have heard Hill say that he felt he needed to take a lot of the pressure off Orford, but having seen him play last year, he reasessed his opinion and realised how good Orford was and that he could go back to his standard role as 5/8th.

As I said, I haven't seen the article, but I hope you haven't taken the quote out of context, or you could become a league journalist!!! As for the 2 games you say Hill lost us this year, I assume one is the Penrith game, where we should never have been that far behind, and playing catch up football we needed to try something at the end. Most players wouldn't have made the break that lead to the bad pass, so I blame the team for the first 55 or 60 mins where we lost the game. The second one, i can't think of, so please enlighten me

The article does mentioned Orfords early career, and includes this last year as well, he also says he was going to go back to the standard 5/8 role, and that is part of my point....WHEN. I get the Sydney papers every weekend and I was gob smacked when I read.

Hill's biggest problem is (again IMO) he tries to hard to be the stand out and often doesn't look like he is playing for the team.....hold on to the ball, that is all he has to do, take the bloody tackle. play a supportive role to Orford.

If one person can show me when he was played outstanding when NO rep game or jersey was on the line or close at hand I post an apology.

Isn't a rep jersey on the line everytime they play? Rep teams aren't picked because of one or two games, it is an ongoing process I would have thought, which then renders the argument about him playing for a rep jersey invalid. Just My opinion of course

Stormwarning[c]

Juniors
Many would think so, others don't. The media make a big deal out of it a few games out as the build up happens.

Just like Hill playing well in the City/Country game and then being a traffic cop against the Sharks. In the article he doesn't talk once about the success of the team for this year and the goal of getting into and winning the Grand Final.

All he talks about is SoO and the Test match at seasons end.

Just like Hill playing well in the City/Country game and then being a traffic cop against the Sharks. In the article he doesn't talk once about the success of the team for this year and the goal of getting into and winning the Grand Final.

The entire team were disgraceful against the Sharks, so once again, to blame simply Scotty is unbelievable. Every player on that field was ordinary that night. Plus, backing up the night after a rep game can surely not be an easy thing, especially when he supposedly pulled up sore. If he was sore, then Bellamy should be blamed for playing him if he wasn't right.

And in reference to speaking about the origin instead of Storm success in the article, what was he asked about????? If the article was about his non selection in origin, then he has to answer the questions he is asked.

I reckon Scott Hill is better than Barrett

I think Barrett on his day is a good player, but for consistency he would have to be up there with Hodges and Anasta as the most overrated player in the game

Surandy

Bench
Steaming Stormer, you know my thoughts on Hill so I won't bother repeating them all over again.

Red Bear

Referee
Barretts problem is injuries, he killed it when at the Steelers, then in his first 1 and a half years he wasnt effective at the Dragons cos he was in half and since then he has had his moment but not as consisten then last two years injuries are stuffing him up.

Godz Illa

Coach
GoTheBears said:
Barretts problem is injuries, he killed it when at the Steelers, then in his first 1 and a half years he wasnt effective at the Dragons cos he was in half and since then he has had his moment but not as consisten then last two years injuries are stuffing him up.

lol Here's some spare punctuation that I had lying around.. . , , ; : - . . ... You make a good point but geez give us a chance to take a breath!

Mark Rudd

Juniors
From whoever:

Does Scott Hill talk to supporters?

After the Raiders game on their traditional lap of the ground he and orford were out front talking together. What I dont know. Would like to know though!

Anyway, as he got to where me and a few were standing(western stand) we screamed out to him. Straight away he came over. We gave him some pats on the back. He was great. I've had my photo taken with him once. He never turned as away.

I think he doesnt get on with Orford at all. They dont work togther. Although I have noticed the last couple of games where Hill has been far more involved. Running wide and getting some good balls away. And they've come away with some good wins because of it.

Personally, I LOVE to see Orford sign a 3+ year deal. But I think he wants to return to Sydney. If the CC ARE the next team, he'll be their 1/2 back.

But Orford IS inconstent. He seems to be a little intimidated when playing the big teams. So maybe we wont miss him.

Craig

Juniors
It is all and well and good and say we won't miss him (orford), but who do we replace him with?

Is Marty Turner or Cooper Cronk good enough to be a regular half back week in and week out then on a stop-gap basis?

Would SW and Surandy change their opinion on Hill if he played at lock then at 5/8?

On a side note, I have found Matt Orford and Matt Geyer to be the two most nicest player's to meet.

Latest posts