What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Second Brisbane Club

BuffaloRules

Coach
The NRL when comprising in 98 should of kept all expansion teams minus Hunter Mariners and let the Sydney clubs fight it out considering those clubs had decades to get it together while WA/SA never got the light of day. If they did they could of been potentially going better than some heartland clubs today but we never know as they got prematurely cut and was never giving a true chance.

Expansion teams should of got a 5 year reprieve aleast and financial assistance in those intial years and then go from there and be treated as equally with the heartland. The bias towards expansion teams is obvious to this day just listen to the GF commentary.

Did you live through this time mate?

The game was on its knees after the split season in 97...

The Super league teams were on the nose massively and their crowds were non existent...

Super League won the war regardless and the turncoat Sydney teams made it through unscathed...

Norths, Wests, Illawarra, Balmain,Souths, St George, all paid a price.

Any more damage to the games heartland and RL would be dead by now..

A compromise needed to be reached that didn't reward all the SuperLeague clubs, so Reds,Rams paid the price on that side of the ledger...they still came out ahead...

Last edited:

davi

Juniors
Phil Rothfield has reopened calls for a secound team in Brisbane, but the article probably does shed any new light on what we already know.

"LAST week’s financial report on the 16 NRL clubs shows why the league has to bring in a second Brisbane team to stop the Broncos’ monopoly.

Why have a salary cap to level the playing field when the Broncos get such a huge advantage from having a capital city to themselves?

They have no opposition outside of rugby’s Reds and AFL’s Lions. They can attract more lucrative sponsors because they get more eyeballs on prime time television almost every Friday night.

Meanwhile, nine Sydney clubs are fighting among themselves for corporate support in the one city. Plus the Waratahs, GWS Giants, Sydney Swans, Sydney FC and the Western Sydney Wanderers.

Suncorp Stadium is the best rugby league venue in Australia. It needs to be used EVERY weekend, not just once a fortnight for the Broncos on Friday nights.

A second Brisbane or Ipswich team needs to become an NRL priority."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...y/news-story/05b684d3c8b6271f2a212c69fc0b8805

insert.pause

First Grade
Rothfield is a petulant twit. I am all for a second Brisbane team, but to say it's needed because the Broncos are financially successful is ridiculous, its an argument for bringing them down to the lowest common denominator, not for growing the game.

The Great Dane

First Grade
What a ridiculous article, unfortunately I'm not surprised by it though.

The lengths they'll go to dodge the real issue of over saturation in Sydney is pretty funny though, very impressive mental gymnastics to say the least.

Diesel

Referee
I agree SEQ needs another team but where's the pressure or contingencies for GC, Newcastle, Tigers and Dragons?

With the exception of a difficult GC market to crack into, the other three are within 2-2.5 hours of each other and are saturated with 10 teams in the same state.

What Brisbane needs, is what Sydney is saturated by.

siv

First Grade
Brisbane could entertain 4 teams easily

Broncos
Ipswich
Brisbane North (Redcliffe)

and Easts could easily be number 4

Maybe even Wynnum

taipan

Referee
Flog off Titans(currently discussions under way) and Newcastle to private consortiums, then talk expansion.

Dill Flufffield knows as much about finance ,as I do nuclear fission.Expand when there is demand and the financial capacity of the admin to back financially expansion ,and at the same time foster grassroots.
Just using the balance sheet of a club as the criteria is hollow.

TheFrog

Coach
Flog off Titans(currently discussions under way) and Newcastle to private consortiums, then talk expansion.
I wonder what private consortium would be naive enough to buy a team in a 16 team comp with TV grants split 16 ways, where a likelhood exists that the grant income would soon be diluted by the addition of further clubs.

I'd reckon these plans would need to be out in the open before selling off of teams, if they exist at all.

Brisbane could entertain 4 teams easily

Two would be good, 4 would be ridiculous. Would be good to see the Broncs reaction though.

taipan

Referee
I wonder what private consortium would be naive enough to buy a team in a 16 team comp with TV grants split 16 ways, where a likelhood exists that the grant income would soon be diluted by the addition of further clubs.

I'd reckon these plans would need to be out in the open before selling off of teams, if they exist at all.

Two would be good, 4 would be ridiculous. Would be good to see the Broncs reaction though.

ATM the 130% of grants to be made by the NRL are an incentive to potential buyers .Meaning player costs covered and extras for marketing.That's why there is interest by 2 buyers for the Tits.
ATM with the costly effect on the NRL finances of underpinning the Titans and Knights. Plus the cost of loans to Dragons and Tigers is money that could be used for an additional 2 teams.Plus of course additional income from other non TV monies .
I don't know the eventual full extent of the NRL owning their own digital media set up, in terms of additional profits, but I suggest they wouldn't outlay the dosh now, if they couldn't see a huge upside.

Only 2 additional sides I agree.Perth and a 2nd Brisbane side.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Rothfield is a petulant twit. I am all for a second Brisbane team, but to say it's needed because the Broncos are financially successful is ridiculous, its an argument for bringing them down to the lowest common denominator, not for growing the game.

For me, the arguement is that the Broncos are so unsuccessful given their potential...

They are a big fish an NRLs small pond. I want a second to give the Bronx a proper push; it would be bloody embarrassing if they became the little brother to a new brisbane team when they had a 30 year headstart

Marlins

Juniors
For me, the arguement is that the Broncos are so unsuccessful given their potential...

They are a big fish an NRLs small pond. I want a second to give the Bronx a proper push; it would be bloody embarrassing if they became the little brother to a new brisbane team when they had a 30 year headstart
No it would be great for RL if Brisbane could have a 2nd team as big or bigger then the Broncos.the problem is the team wouldn't and they probably would not be successful they would struggle.

T-Boon

Coach
No it would be great for RL if Brisbane could have a 2nd team as big or bigger then the Broncos.the problem is the team wouldn't and they probably would not be successful they would struggle.

I would consider it a big success even if it was 2/3rds the size of the Broncos (i.e. 20k crowds). Thats very achievable. The rivalry would be great and would possibly increase Broncos support by rusting on soft fans.

The thing is that team would potentially further weaken other codes teams in Brisbane especially the Lions.

DiegoNT

First Grade
A second Brisbane team will be almost exactly like the freo/west coast situation in the afl.
Wa afl fans have the same chip on their shoulder as queenslanders. When freo were brought in, west coast were a afl juggernaut on and off field. They were hugely popular in Perth at a similar level of broncos in Brisbane. There were still all traditionalist who hated what the eagles represented, and still people who supported there old VLF clubs, but Perth was overwhelmingly pro-eagles. Initially freo was the little brother, everyone's second team. But over time they grew. The traditionalist and supporters of other clubs liked them because they weren't the eagles, people who liked them as a second team began to favour them as they were underdogs. From a small start the freo fanbase has grown to be a huge a passionate force. What started of as a case of people supporting eagles and freo became eagles or freo. The rivalry is huge and had benifeted both clubs. It became so hard to get tickets to afl games in Perth that they've had to build a bigger stadium

Rumours about the ARL wanting to move Newcastle to Ipswich suggests to me that the next Queensland NRL club will be in Ipswich, but i don't think it will be the Knights.

siv

First Grade
Bears have breen asked to be ready to enter the NRL twice

Once when Cronulla almost fell over

Second time when the Knights were having issues before Tinkler joined

axl rose

Bench
2nd Brisbane team is a no brainier and would be a massive shot in the arm for the game. Will never happen though. Self interest rules in Rugby League. Roar/Soccer is comparable to watching grass grow, the 'popularity' of the LIons even during their winning days is a myth, 10 million + in debt now. The Reds..meh penalty kicks..more penalty kicks.There is plenty of room for a sport which is actually entertaining.

Last edited:

jim_57

Staff member
A lot of interesting bids on the table. Just saw Redcliffe say they are looking towards entering the NRL. I like the idea a of semi-regional with games at Suncorp and an outer city venue to be built. Best options to me:

West Brisbane Jets - Ipswich, Logan, Toowoomba target areas.

North Brisbane Dolphins - Redcliffe, Northern Brisbane, Sunshine Coast taget areas.

The problem I see would be getting funding for a new mid-sized stadium in Ipswich or Redcliffe if clubs were playing at least half their games at Suncorp.