What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Second Brisbane Club

Marlins

Juniors
A lot of interesting bids on the table. Just saw Redcliffe say they are looking towards entering the NRL. I like the idea a of semi-regional with games at Suncorp and an outer city venue to be built. Best options to me:

West Brisbane Jets - Ipswich, Logan, Toowoomba target areas.

North Brisbane Dolphins - Redcliffe, Northern Brisbane, Sunshine Coast taget areas.

The problem I see would be getting funding for a new mid-sized stadium in Ipswich or Redcliffe if clubs were playing at least half their games at Suncorp.
I would think they would play 10 home games at Suncorp and the other at regional grounds.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
The second Brisbane team need not be complicated. Give the Jets a 20k seat Stadium in Ipswich and watch the area thrive. If they prove successful (inevitable), the Dolphins can follow suit in about 5 to 6 years time.

3 teams in the greater Brisbane area plus the Titans on the GC is enough. The last thing the comp needs is another Sydney situation in Queensland. I'd love to see the Central QLD coast get a team as well but they need to prove they deserve it population wise first.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Any new Brisbane team should play FT out of Suncorp. It's nonsense not to use the best RL stadium in the country and limit yourself to one outer region of Brisbane in a 20k capacity stadium that will see you lucky to draw 15k crowds.

Someone before mentioned the Dockers, part of their success was due to not playing at Freo oval but playing at a central large stadium that allowed them to attract fans from all 4 corners of the city.

There does not need to be more than 2 teams in Brisbane, anymore and you start to weaken them all with over saturation.

jim_57

Staff member
Any new Brisbane team should play FT out of Suncorp. It's nonsense not to use the best RL stadium in the country and limit yourself to one outer region of Brisbane in a 20k capacity stadium that will see you lucky to draw 15k crowds.

Someone before mentioned the Dockers, part of their success was due to not playing at Freo oval but playing at a central large stadium that allowed them to attract fans from all 4 corners of the city.

There does not need to be more than 2 teams in Brisbane, anymore and you start to weaken them all with over saturation.

By all means if the lobbying can be be done to get a nice new stadium 25k in Ipswich then take 2-4 games there. Going to a very hard task getting funding for such a stadium though if that's all the club can commit. That's with a Western Corridor model obviously.

In their favour though, after Townsville Stadium is built there won't be any other major stadium building or redevelopment for quite a while I'd imagine?

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
will never happen,. Why would you spend $250mill for 2 games a year? Why would the club want to? Dockers don't take games to Freo oval, one city one stadium wide appeal. RL fans need to get over this parochial suburban mentality if the game is ever going to grow.

jim_57

Staff member
will never happen,. Why would you spend $250mill for 2 games a year? Why would the club want to? Dockers don't take games to Freo oval, one city one stadium wide appeal. RL fans need to get over this parochial suburban mentality if the game is ever going to grow.

Exactly, such a stadium would never be built unless they were guaranteed a certain amount of "events".

Taking a game to Ipswich or Sunny Coast etc would be a good way to spread the club's appeal though. One city, one stadium is not the answer every time, more clubs should be looking at creating "second homes". But yes, any new club in SEQ needs to play the majority of their games at Suncorp, no matter what their branding is.

Marlins

Juniors
The problem with Ipswich Jets is what person outside of Ipswich would actually support Ipswich. They would Need the support of Ipswich but how many will travel 12 times a year to Suncorp?
The Dolphins have a smaller population but a better brand. I know no one who refers west of brissy as the western corridor but if the jets where to be put in the Nrl they would have to use a different name other then Ipswich to get more support especially if they where to play there home games at Suncorp. Most people in Brisbane aren't all that fond of the Ipswich area.
What would work better -
Western corridor Jets
West Brisbane Jets
South West jets
SWQ Jets
SQ Jets

toomuchsoup

Juniors
The problem with Ipswich Jets is what person outside of Ipswich would actually support Ipswich. They would Need the support of Ipswich but how many will travel 12 times a year to Suncorp?
The Dolphins have a smaller population but a better brand. I know no one who refers west of brissy as the western corridor but if the jets where to be put in the Nrl they would have to use a different name other then Ipswich to get more support especially if they where to play there home games at Suncorp. Most people in Brisbane aren't all that fond of the Ipswich area.
What would work better -
Western corridor Jets
West Brisbane Jets
South West jets
SWQ Jets
SQ Jets
Very true

They definitely need to be called either Brisbane or South Queensland.

I reckon Brisbane Jets or
Brisbane Bulls

axl rose

Bench
Very true

They definitely need to be called either Brisbane or South Queensland.

I reckon Brisbane Jets or
Brisbane Bulls

Yeah Bulls would be fine.There is a domestic cricket team called the Bulls but no-one cares or probably remembers

Any expansion to Brisbane that is not playing out of Suncorp for thier home games is wasting their time. .

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Im still a fan of the Brothers...

100 years of club history in that brand, a major contrast from the Broncos (BRL vs club that killed it) and they probably still inspire a decent amount of emotion from the old BRL fans (love em or hate em, people just need to care).

If not, id go for some kind of BRL United team; was the ever a CvC match between QRL and BRL?? A jersey and logo from that would be brilliant...

siv

First Grade
By all means if the lobbying can be be done to get a nice new stadium 25k in Ipswich then take 2-4 games there. Going to a very hard task getting funding for such a stadium though if that's all the club can commit. That's with a Western Corridor model obviously.

In their favour though, after Townsville Stadium is built there won't be any other major stadium building or redevelopment for quite a while I'd imagine?

Qld government seems to have no issue funding stadiums

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Im with the Doc...I like the Brothers if there were to be a 2nd Brisbane club.

Itd be good to get Butcher Stripes back in the comp too...

10458463_677443029051736_651584150256616898_n.jpg

Perth Red

Post Whore
Titans need to get good and start laying into Broncos on and off the field to get that rivavallry happening.

davi

Juniors
Mal Meninga is against a second team in Brisbane. The comments are interesting because the Brisbane Bombers had floated the idea of Meninga being their inaugural head coach if they entered the competition. Meninga makes the argument that league clubs are struggling at the moment and they should be consolidated before looking for expansion. He has a point, it was reported NRL clubs made losses of 53.4 million dollars last year.

"KANGAROOS coach Mal Meninga is against having a second Brisbane team in the NRL in the immediate future and says it’s more important ensure the survival of Sydney’s traditional old clubs.

It’s a surprise because many in the game consider Meninga would be the perfect figurehead to launch a new Brisbane side to challenge the Broncos’ monopoly which gives them such a huge advantage over their 15 rivals.

“If tradition is going to be part of our mantra going forward, time, effort and resources need to put into the team’s that are currently struggling,” Meninga says.
“Let’s get them back to where they should be

“Once we get the Knights and Wests Tigers back to where they should be and their fans can go to a game every week and think they’re a chance of winning then we can start looking at expansion

“There’s enough room in Brisbane for two teams but I’m not sure there’s enough players to go around at the moment.”

Meninga against his old sparring partner Wayne Bennett would be a promoter’s dream in the Brisbane market. Bigger than Sydney FC v the Wanderers or GWS v the Swans.

“I love the game so I’d be interested in any role,” Meninga said. “I’d never go back to club coaching, not for a million dollars.

“I like what I’ve got know, it’s less stressful and it allows me more time to be with my young family.

“Maybe in a club role like Gus (Gould) where he oversees the football department … something like that would be appealing.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...l/news-story/cbc234c6a76592bedf27772cc2dea60e

Last edited:

Jetka100

Juniors
I think that is the wrong way to look at expansion. You are never going to get a situation where are all clubs are going strong at the same time. Expansion should be about where the game should be in the medium to long term and what are the best growth strategies. Just sitting around waiting for all the Sydney teams to get their act together is a recipe for ultimately shrinking the game. Unfortunately the world has changed from when Sydney suburban clubs could be propped up by leagues clubs. Corporate support is vital for future success and the number of teams in Sydney is unsustainable.

Latest posts