What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Second Brisbane Club

T-Boon

Coach

This classic match from Rd 4 1996 shows me that Brisbane is more than capable of sustaining a 2nd team. Great crowd at the old Suncorp Stadium. Does anyone remember this game?

I think it would be good for the Broncs to have some competition - it would bring the best out in the club.

Marlins

Juniors
I think it would be good for the Broncs to have some competition - it would bring the best out in the club.
It would be awesome for brissy to have a rival team. If it does happen I hope they go with either WC/Ipswich Jets or RC Dolphins and not that Bombers Bid.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
It would be awesome for brissy to have a rival team. If it does happen I hope they go with either WC/Ipswich Jets or RC Dolphins and not that Bombers Bid.

Agree 100%, the whole bombers bid just stinks of corporate and franchise when they should be creating a club that people want to belong too.

I see no reason why eventually we couldn't have Ipswich and Redcliffe based sides if we got beyond 20 teams. If Cronulla-Sutherland can have a side representing its LGA in a national comp then why not Redcliffe-moreton or Ipswich. Tribalism is king.

flippikat

Bench

One of the important aspects of a 2nd Brisbane team is getting points of difference from the Broncos.

The WC/Ipswich Jets bid strikes me as having a lot of positives there - everywhere from being an extension of an existing club (rather than a completely new entity created for the expansion), right down to using unique club colours (it matters - look at most other cross-city derbies in sport, and often it's as stark as red vs blue)

Marlins

Juniors
The western corridor is a rapidly growing region with already a big enough pop to support a team. WC Jets would make sense with the Ipswich jets being a feeder. Also the QRL could then consider Toowoomba rejoining the QCup as another feeder club. Ipswich is also only 20 minutes away from Suncorp with a direct rail. How this has not happened yet is beyond me, if the NRL can't work this out then how the hell does anyone think we will ever have a Perth team.

adamkungl

Immortal
A 3rd SE QLD team is an inevitability.
The question is, with Perth as a certainty (it should be, anyway) and Central Coast's ship sadly (imo) sailed, who do you choose out of a 2nd NZ team and a 2nd Brisbane team.

For me the 2nd NZ team offers more.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

This is one of the best reasons for another Brissy team. You get Bronx players and coaches says "why damage the Broncos with another team?" but Brisbane are in absolute crusie control.

They might be the biggest team in the comp, but they are still no where near their potential (Big fish - Small pond). If a 2nd SEQld team was introduced they could challenge The Broncos for the "biggest team in the city" mantel. Then we would get this quais- arms race for support that would benefit RL massively.

T-Boon

Coach
A 3rd SE QLD team is an inevitability.
The question is, with Perth as a certainty (it should be, anyway) and Central Coast's ship sadly (imo) sailed, who do you choose out of a 2nd NZ team and a 2nd Brisbane team.

For me the 2nd NZ team offers more.

I go with a second Brisbane team as there is definitely huge capacity there for another team and it also deals with a few other key issues. The first is it reduces what other clubs think are inherent unfair advantage to the Broncos (i.e. exclusive access to Brisbane TPA's) and the other main one is it potentially damages our most hated opponent the AFL.

T-Boon

Coach
But I would get all 3 ASAP (Perth, Brisbane & Wellington). As I have said before I would relocate Sydney team to Perth and Wellington.

T-Boon

Coach
This is one of the best reasons for another Brissy team. You get Bronx players and coaches says "why damage the Broncos with another team?" but Brisbane are in absolute crusie control.

They might be the biggest team in the comp, but they are still no where near their potential (Big fish - Small pond). If a 2nd SEQld team was introduced they could challenge The Broncos for the "biggest team in the city" mantel. Then we would get this quais- arms race for support that would benefit RL massively.

Totally agree. They should be the biggest football club in the country but they are behind probably 5 AFL clubs. A rabid rivalry with another Brisbane NRL club is the only thing the Broncos have never had.

adamkungl

Immortal
I agree with the above. The same could be applied to the Warriors though.

I think there are more potential *new* fans in Wellington and Perth than Ipswich.

Suncorp should be utilised each and every weekend by a top flight NRL team.

Ergo, two teams in Brisbane would be excellent.

It would also create a rivalry, dilute the monopoly Brisbane has and give fans, sponsors and broadcasters options.

We know it makes sense.

As for Perth and/or NZ 2 - new fans, new sponsors, new regions, new rivalries...even new time slots.

We know it makes sense.

T-Boon

Coach
I agree with the above. The same could be applied to the Warriors though.

I think there are more potential *new* fans in Wellington and Perth than Ipswich.

True, if we could only convince two Sydney teams of the potential in Perth and NZ.
I'd be ok with my team Parra moving to Perth - The Western Eels.

adamkungl

Immortal
Don't need to move anyone. That's the point of new fans, you don't need to sacrifice existing fans to get them.

myrrh ken

First Grade
I don't want to watch 2 bloody Brisbane teams fill up the FTA double-header every Friday night!

T-Boon

Coach
Don't need to relocate but it would be better because we also need a few less Sydney teams and we just don't have the quality of players. Under my proposal The Western Eels would get 4 games each year at Parra Stadium (3 home and several away) as well as a couple of others in and around Sydney and 9 games in Perth.

Latest posts