What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Second Brisbane Club

Marlins

Juniors
Don't need to relocate but it would be better because we also need a few less Sydney teams and we just don't have the quality of players. Under my proposal The Western Eels would get 4 games each year at Parra Stadium (3 home and several away) as well as a couple of others in and around Sydney and 9 games in Perth.
Would never work and would definitely never happen with the eels. I have said this maybe once or twice before but if any Sydney club should be moved west it should be the Wests Tigers. Plus the parramatta will have a new stadium in a few years time why relocate them.

Marlins

Juniors
I would personally like the Comp to expand to 18 teams which I think will happen in the next 4 years. In that case I would like to see the -
West Coast Pirates &
Western Corridor Jets
In the meantime a side from Wellington or Christchurch or both would be good to have in the NSW cup.
And if there still is too many Sydney clubs I for one would not be disappointed to see manly dropped back to the nsw cup and a expansion team added. No need to relocate a team.

flippikat

Bench
I would personally like the Comp to expand to 18 teams which I think will happen in the next 4 years. In that case I would like to see the -
West Coast Pirates &
Western Corridor Jets
In the meantime a side from Wellington or Christchurch or both would be good to have in the NSW cup.
And if there still is too many Sydney clubs I for one would not be disappointed to see manly dropped back to the nsw cup and a expansion team added. No need to relocate a team.

Yep, Jets and Pirates as teams 17 & 18 makes sense.

You also hit on a good idea with the NSW cup - second tier competitions can be useful for getting future expansion markets "up to speed" with things like player depth, supporter base, training facilities, stadia etc BEFORE they get added to the top tier - especially if it's in conjunction with bringing some regular season NRL games there too.

The biggest problem with two Brisbane sides would be the conundrum the refs would be in figuring out which one to favour. Their tiny minds would break.

T-Boon

Coach
The biggest problem with two Brisbane sides would be the conundrum the refs would be in figuring out which one to favour. Their tiny minds would break.

The second Brisbane team should also be owned by Fairfax to maximise the rivalry so that it is essentially New Ltd v Fairfax.
Could they be called the 'Brisbane Bronco Slayers' or Brisbane BS for short. Would that be lame?

The second Brisbane team should also be owned by Fairfax to maximise the rivalry so that it is essentially New Ltd v Fairfax.
Could they be called the 'Brisbane Bronco Slayers' or Brisbane BS for short. Would that be lame?
Fairfax? They'd cut their staff so much they'd play with 8 players, the coach would have to run water and strap the players and they'd be run out of an office in Mumbai.

Haha, OK what about the 'Brisbane Niners' ...Part owned by channel nine?
Unlikely. Davey Smith isn't there anymore to give a club to Nein without taking to anyone else. And scheduling would be a nightmare because they'd want their club and the Broncos both playing on Friday nights every single week. But if it did happen they'd just use it to cross promote some other Channel Nein shit so they'd probably be called the Brisbane Blocks or the South Qld Stefanovics or something.

Billythekid

First Grade
West Coast Pirates &
Western Corridor Jets

I know people like to bang on about lack of talent but with PNG looking like it will start delivering and teams like Perth opening up new junior areas I think we're fine. If anything I think moving up to 18 might give more young talent a chance and will help the overall talent pool.

Whilst Perth is my first choice and NZ my second I just think the NRL just need to have a plan either way. Actually show some forethought, say when and where the teams are likely to be and start working towards that. Even if it's 5-10 years away at least then we can start laying the groundwork and give the people involved some hope that the NRL hadn't abandoned expansion permanently.

After yesterday the sooner their is a second NRL club in Brisbane the better for Rugby League, but knowing the the commission they wont want to do for fear of upsetting the Broncos.

OffTheLongRun

Juniors
Do Sydneysiders realise the sheer levels of support behind the Broncos up here (at least when they are winning)? If I followed a Sydney club I would be hoping and preying for a second Brisbane team. The monopoly held by the Broncos is outrageous.

T-Boon

Coach
Do Sydneysiders realise the sheer levels of support behind the Broncos up here (at least when they are winning)? If I followed a Sydney club I would be hoping and preying for a second Brisbane team. The monopoly held by the Broncos is outrageous.

Its not high enough because they only get 30k crowds. If they had a town rival they would get bigger crowds - NRL would get more media coverage to drown out whatever coverage the Lions get.

RoosTah

Juniors
In an ideal world you'd cut 2 teams from Sydney and then put in both NZ2, Perth, Brisbane 2 and potentially look at Adelaide to go to 18 teams. Tricky cutting teams from Sydney though

T-Boon

Coach
In an ideal world you'd cut 2 teams from Sydney and then put in both NZ2, Perth, Brisbane 2 and potentially look at Adelaide to go to 18 teams. Tricky cutting teams from Sydney though

Instead of cutting two Sydney teams in my opinion it would be better to relocate a couple of teams over a period of about 5 years.
I like the ring of The Western Panthers (but I guess it could be Western Tigers), playing most home games out of Perth Stadium, but at least five games a year (home or away) out of Pepper Stadium (or Parra Stadium). If it was done well enough, with support from the NRL, the Panthers Rugby League or Tigers Rugby League could surpass Brisbane Broncos as the biggest football club in Rugby League.
Same could be done for Southern Sharks with, say, 8 games out of Adelaide and at least 5 games out of Shark Park.
If the NRL dangled the carrot of an extra million (or more) a year over ten years in club grants there would be a point that the Clubs would consider it.

Marlins

Juniors
Instead of cutting two Sydney teams in my opinion it would be better to relocate a couple of teams over a period of about 5 years.
I like the ring of The Western Panthers (but I guess it could be Western Tigers), playing most home games out of Perth Stadium, but at least five games a year (home or away) out of Pepper Stadium (or Parra Stadium). If it was done well enough, with support from the NRL, the Panthers Rugby League or Tigers Rugby League could surpass Brisbane Broncos as the biggest football club in Rugby League.
Same could be done for Southern Sharks with, say, 8 games out of Adelaide and at least 5 games out of Shark Park.
If the NRL dangled the carrot of an extra million (or more) a year over ten years in club grants there would be a point that the Clubs would consider it.
It will never happen with them teams. The only relocation the NRL should consoder is either Manly or Roosters to central Coast.
East Coast Roosters?
A better plan would be the Roosters and manly just take 2-3 games a year to CC.

T-Boon

Coach
It will never happen with them teams. The only relocation the NRL should consoder is either Manly or Roosters to central Coast.
East Coast Roosters?
A better plan would be the Roosters and manly just take 2-3 games a year to CC.

What makes you say it will never happen?

Marlins

Juniors
1. Not one of them teams will want to relocate.
2. Penrith region has the largest junior base of RL in the world and you want to take the team away. It would be a disaster for RL and a huge advantage to sooka & the fumblers.
3. Sutherland shire/Cronulla has like 200k in the region why take RL out of the area. Sharks own there stadium and are building great success. In a few years they will be in the top 3 richest clubs.
4. Tigers are possible seeing is how the NRL own them and if the NRL wanted a relocation this could happen. In doing this you would again be giving The fumblers a huge region to try take over. What WESTS needs is a brand new stadium at Campbeltown and everything would be fine.
5. This idea of basing one these teams in WA and then playing a few home games a year away in Sydney? They would have enough problems with travel as it is without moving home games away.

RoosTah

Juniors
Agree with these points... Wests is really the only side in Sydney that looks like you could move them, but the issue I always think you'll have with that is it immediately identifies them as foreign in whatever market you put them in. It's much better if Perth can come into the competition as the Pirates than simply a rebranded Wests Tigers in my view, as it just feels more organic.
As for Manly and the Roosters - moving teams that have plenty of cash isn't really going to happen... You need some real financial pain for a side to really consider the push

Last edited:
Wests Tigers should be supporting Campbelltown, Narellan, Macarthur, etc.

It's a huge future sprawl and they need a team playing that area full time...not at ANZ, SFS or even Leichhardt.

Their total training and administration base should be out there too.

RoosTah

Juniors
Wests Tigers should be supporting Campbelltown, Narellan, Macarthur, etc.

It's a huge future sprawl and they need a team playing that area full time...not at ANZ, SFS or even Leichhardt.

Their total training and administration base should be out there too.
It's a fair point - that area will only grow as sydney heads to 5 and 6 million people.

Likewise, I think the Dragons really ought to move full time to Woolongong, as that's a massive growth area - the Illawarra region has almost half a million people now by itself

Latest posts