What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Second Brisbane Club

It's a fair point - that area will only grow as sydney heads to 5 and 6 million people.

Likewise, I think the Dragons really ought to move full time to Woolongong, as that's a massive growth area - the Illawarra region has almost half a million people now by itself

I truly believe if distribution was right you'd have:

North shore and peninsula - Manly
South - Cronulla
City - roosters
ANZ - Souths, dogs
Parramatta
Penrith
Wollongong / South coast - Saints
Macarthur, Campbelltown - Tigers.

But the nrl and clubs need to lock these in and support, nurture, grow.

Get it right nrl ffs.

Brisbane def needs a 2Nd team. If a Sydney club relocated there, I reckon they'd have supporters there and be able to grow new fan base.

Perth, Adelaide, ideally Brisbane 2, cc, nz2 should have their own identity.

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
Best split up I've seen for some time.Cold logic suggests that;s the way to go.
Wollongong and Campbelltown huge growth areas.You can't be half hearted there ,you need to go in full time.3 games here an there is too bleeding piecemeal.

Jamberoo

Juniors
As a Melbournian it seems ridiculous that there is one team in Brisbane - there should be three. What percentage of people would change allegiances from Broncos? It will take a while to get to half the level of support Broncos have - maybe a generation. But the longer they leave it the harder it will be.

Best split up I've seen for some time.Cold logic suggests that;s the way to go.
Wollongong and Campbelltown huge growth areas.You can't be half hearted there ,you need to go in full time.3 games here an there is too bleeding piecemeal.

Sunday, case in point. The suburb furthest West and a south West team playing in the east.

Traffic, trip, transport...ffs they wonder why people watch it at home. Free. Sunday 4pm+ kick off. Dumb dumb dumb.

Plus people ain't flush for cash all the time. But put it closer to home, and they might just go along.

And this has nothing to do with Afl vs nrl. Thus is about knowing your market, your fan bases and organising it right.

As tor Brisbane, and Yep, I'm off topic sorry, but they should have three teams do there's Teo games Friday night and Sunday arvo every week, and you mix up the team, tome for a fair spread.

siv

First Grade
Do Sydneysiders realise the sheer levels of support behind the Broncos up here (at least when they are winning)? If I followed a Sydney club I would be hoping and preying for a second Brisbane team. The monopoly held by the Broncos is outrageous.

Brisbane should have 4 clubs

If one is the GC then add Ipswich and Redcliffe

adamkungl

Immortal
With the Broncos consistently unable to match the top clubs on the field for the last 10 years, is there really any room for another competitor? I fear the Broncos would collapse to perennial cellar dwellars

Marlins

Juniors
With the Broncos consistently unable to match the top clubs on the field for the last 10 years, is there really any room for another competitor? I fear the Broncos would collapse to perennial cellar dwellars
They Won the Comp 10 years ago.
Made the GF last year.
Only have ever missed the top 8 twice.

have the Bulldogs, Rabbitts or Wests achieved any better in that same time? Yet they all play out of ANZ and are in the Same Size area Of Braibane to Ipswich.

T-Boon

Coach

Yeah, I guess you are taking the piss. But Brisbane have "struggled" because Melbourne claimed Cronk and Cam Smith - the best Brisbane products of the last 15 years.
The Broncos were always use to retaining the best juniors. I'd say if a second Brisbane team came in it would effect Melbourne more than the Broncos.

flippikat

Bench
Yeah, I guess you are taking the piss. But Brisbane have "struggled" because Melbourne claimed Cronk and Cam Smith - the best Brisbane products of the last 15 years.
The Broncos were always use to retaining the best juniors. I'd say if a second Brisbane team came in it would effect Melbourne more than the Broncos.

You mean like how the Raiders went into decline once their Queensland contingent retired in the mid-1990s?

Yeah, makes sense - with a 2 Brisbane teams, the Titans and Cowboys - the Storm will find it harder to replenish their squad by signing talented young Queensland players.

T-Boon

Coach
You mean like how the Raiders went into decline once their Queensland contingent retired in the mid-1990s?

Yeah, makes sense - with a 2 Brisbane teams, the Titans and Cowboys - the Storm will find it harder to replenish their squad by signing talented young Queensland players.

Exactly. Never actually went that far back in my thinking - but it is the same.
Melbourne might actually need to start developing local juniors which would be good.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Maybe it would make them invest some of their $4.6million extra grant in NRLVic?

flippikat

Bench
Exactly. Never actually went that far back in my thinking - but it is the same.
Melbourne might actually need to start developing local juniors which would be good.

It just strikes me as a trend in the game.

Generally speaking, the club with it's finger on the pulse of Queensland talent was the Raiders in the mid-late 1980s, then it became the Broncos in the 1990s, then the Storm struck the jackpot as the Bronco's fortunes waned. I wonder what club will be the one to capitalise on the next wave of Queensland talent, and turn it into the base of a dynasty?

I'm sure the Storm are aware of the threat that a another Queensland team would pose to them and i expect that they are doing their best to increase junior playing numbers in Victoria

T-Boon

Coach
I'm sure the Storm are aware of the threat that a another Queensland team would pose to them and i expect that they are doing their best to increase junior playing numbers in Victoria

You would think the big dudes in Melbourne would be far more suits to and attracted to League than AFL. I am surprised there has not been more come through the ranks.

You would think the big dudes in Melbourne would be far more suits to and attracted to League than AFL. I am surprised there has not been more come through the ranks.
So am i.
I seriously hope that that they are preparing for the long term with junior development in Victoria, if not they better pull their finger out very quickly.

T-Boon

Coach
So am i.
I seriously hope that that they are preparing for the long term with junior development in Victoria, if not they better pull their finger out very quickly.

One big dude from Melbourne, Adam Gotsis, got sick of AFL - was going to give Rugby a go but went to Melbourne American Football instead and is now in the NFL with the Broncos - he is huge and fast. All up good on him, massive win for him...but Rugby League should have been all over him.