What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Second Canadian team for League 1

Pommy

Coach
Maybe the same way they are paying for it now. Maybe the same way English clubs pay the bills despite having no fans. Whatever it is, you have no idea whether they can or can't and any speculation on the topic is spurious.

No I do have an idea they can't. The english teams get a grant from the RFL Toronto do not, the english teams are driving a coach down the M62 the Canadian teams need to fly at a minimum 20 people across the Atlantic and then put them up in hotels and pay for their food. The costs are not even compatible.

No I do have an idea they can't. The english teams get a grant from the RFL Toronto do not, the english teams are driving a coach down the M62 the Canadian teams need to fly at a minimum 20 people across the Atlantic and then put them up in hotels and pay for their food. The costs are not even compatible.
And the Wolfpack have double the crowds of some of them, an airline sponsor and a billionaire owner. But you know better. I guess they might as well give up becaus some guy on the interweb said it won't work.

Luckily that's bullshit. They've had miserable twats writing them off from day one.

Pommy

Coach
And the Wolfpack have double the crowds of some of them, an airline sponsor and a billionaire owner. But you know better. I guess they might as well give up becaus some guy on the interweb said it won't work.

Luckily that's bullshit. They've had miserable twats writing them off from day one.

And long term that plan wouldn't work. There clear plan is to get to the super league ASAP to ensure it is viable. Thats not what you were talking about.
I don't want them to give up I just think its clear a Canadian team couldn't survive long term in the championship as a feeder club, something totally different to what the Wolfpack are.

Stallion

First Grade
And long term that plan wouldn't work. There clear plan is to get to the super league ASAP to ensure it is viable. Thats not what you were talking about.
I don't want them to give up I just think its clear a Canadian team couldn't survive long term in the championship as a feeder club, something totally different to what the Wolfpack are.

I would think that the increased momentum and growth linked with the Toroto Wolfpack will ultimately lay the foundations for a Canadian/ North American league that will attract fans and more importantly player growth.

Pommy

Coach
I would think that the increased momentum and growth linked with the Toroto Wolfpack will ultimately lay the foundations for a Canadian/ North American league that will attract fans and more importantly player growth.

Yeah very possibly. Look I’m not saying I don’t want North American teams, not at all.
I’m just being realistic when I say they can only survive in the English system if they make it to the super league. I honestly don’t know how anyone can believe a feeder club playing in England in the championship long term is a realistic proposition.

Fortunately you have no say in it and your evangelical foresight is irrelevant. How many poms said the Wolfpack would never work when they were announced? The real truth is new clubs don't have to make SL. The actual long term plan would be their own league. If the rfl was smart they'd make hay while the sun shines and try and get a few clubs involved and chase tv and sponsorship money before the North American clubs outgrow them.

Pommy

Coach
Fortunately you have no say in it and your evangelical foresight is irrelevant. How many poms said the Wolfpack would never work when they were announced? The real truth is new clubs don't have to make SL. The actual long term plan would be their own league. If the rfl was smart they'd make hay while the sun shines and try and get a few clubs involved and chase tv and sponsorship money before the North American clubs outgrow them.

And I wasn’t one of them.
Not sure why your trying to bag poms when the in recent years the RFL has admitted two new foreign teams. Whilst the NRL has done the square root of zero to advance the sport.

And I wasn’t one of them.
Not sure why your trying to bag poms when the in recent years the RFL has admitted two new foreign teams. Whilst the NRL has done the square root of zero to advance the sport.
No shit. But have a look at how many poms hang shit on the rfl for that. Know it alls who said it wouldn't happen, it wouldn't work etc. And here we are again. Being told definitively that it won't happen and it won't work.

Btw where is the owner of the Wolfpack from?

Pommy

Coach
No shit. But have a look at how many poms hang shit on the rfl for that. Know it alls who said it wouldn't happen, it wouldn't work etc. And here we are again. Being told definitively that it won't happen and it won't work.

Btw where is the owner of the Wolfpack from?

But luckily I haven’t seen Perez suggest a second rate team like you have so hopefully it will all work out.
I believe his background is African just like everyone else.

But luckily I haven’t seen Perez suggest a second rate team like you have so hopefully it will all work out.
I believe his background is African just like everyone else.
They'll be in league 1 so how are they not going to be "second rate" compared to the Wolfpack? All league 1 clubs are "second rate" compared to clubs in the higher divisions. That's what second rate means. According to you that makes them undeniably unviable.

flamin

Juniors
The admin need to know the difference between levels, but why would the fans need to??

Ever consider that maybe these 8k are Gridiron or Rugby fans who have discovered a new, fast-paced version of their old sport and are just keen to turn up and watch their local team?

Ever consider that maybe they just heard a friend talk about this weird new sport that they should go check out?

Typical insular RL wanker. "If you dont have a Phd in RL history, you dont deserve to watch the game"....

I know the Wolfpack have brought plenty of new converts to the game, but maybe you guys should listen to what actual Canadians are saying on this topic:

http://www.totalrl.com/forums/index...-new-signings/&do=findComment&comment=3627794

http://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?/topic/307649-twp-tonight/&do=findComment&comment=3623382

Pommy

Coach
They'll be in league 1 so how are they not going to be "second rate" compared to the Wolfpack? All league 1 clubs are "second rate" compared to clubs in the higher divisions. That's what second rate means. According to you that makes them undeniably unviable.

I honestly don’t even know what your point is here.

PacificCoastRL

Juniors
Is Hamilton the right place for the second team? I don't know anything about the area, but google is telling me it is an hour (70 km) down the road from Toronto. It looks like another Toronto team, really. Is it an advantage or disadvantage to be so close? Is there any rivalry between the 2 cities?
The Golden Horseshoe, the region in which Toronto and Hamilton lie, is home to 20% of Canada's population. As to whether their is a rivalry between Toronto and Hamilton - that would be a hard yes. I urge you to check out the rivalry between the Canadian Football League's Toronto Argonauts and Hamilton Tiger-Cats. It doesn't get any fiercer. I think if Hamilton is the next team, Perez, et al would be smart if they used the Argonaut v Tiger- Cat rivalry to stir up emotions and civic pride in the two cities.

Coparugby

Juniors
The Golden Horseshoe, the region in which Toronto and Hamilton lie, is home to 20% of Canada's population. As to whether their is a rivalry between Toronto and Hamilton - that would be a hard yes. I urge you to check out the rivalry between the Canadian Football League's Toronto Argonauts and Hamilton Tiger-Cats. It doesn't get any fiercer. I think if Hamilton is the next team, Perez, et al would be smart if they used the Argonaut v Tiger- Cat rivalry to stir up emotions and civic pride in the two cities.
They’d have to be in the same division first. That may not always be the case.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
They’d have to be in the same division first. That may not always be the case.

So there will always be talk about which team is better with few chances to actually see...

It will probably help the rivalry and back the clashes that much more exciting when they do happen.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Yeh, i think its better to develop local rivalries and built from there...

Focus on making RL a big sport in Ontario, then build from there. Even if that little area is all RL manages to penetrate, that is still almost 10mil people to market to.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
And everything I have heard from Perez is that Toronto are pushing for the SL asap.

I don't think you need evidence to understand a Championship or League 1 side is not going to be able to sustain paying for flights long term, 8000 fans or not. Toronto got an airline to the cover the cost for the short term who covers the cost next time? Presumably that airline are hoping to get some serious coverage once Toronto win promotion to the SL.

To be honest I don't even see what your issue is, I'm not complaining about Canadian teams at all, as long as they cover the costs incurred by the English clubs (below SL) I have no issue at all and welcome them and the expansion they bring.

I can certainly think that all North American expansion teams will be aiming for SuperLeague but I think the staggered introduction gives North American players a ladder to climb whilst the clubs move through the system.

Perez wants 5 or 6 N/A clubs which is the number he believs will land a lucrative TV deal and attract more sponsors. Lets have a look at how that could look (I'm not suggesting every team will earn promotion in each league at the first attempt, it is just for the sake of the example):

2019: Toronto in SL, Hamilton in League 1
2020: Toronto in SL, Hamilton in Championship, New York in League 1
2021: Toronto & Hamilton in SL, New York in Championship, USA 2 in League 1
2022: Toronto, Hamilton, NY in SL, USA2 in Championship, Canada 3 in League 1
2023: Toronto, Hamilton, NY, USA2 in SL, Canada 3 in Championship, USA 3 in League 1
2024: Canada 3 progresses to SL, USA 3 progresses to Championship
2025: USA 3 progresses to SL

That has given both the USA and Canada seven years where for most of the time there are teams at all levels of the game. This will allow them to a) develop a generation of local talent from both countries and have them work their way through the system (at various clubs), establish a junior system in both countries, ensure that both countries are well placed to capture new fans as a legacy of the home world cup and (if Perez is right) cash in commercially. Once the money starts flowing in North America (remember that even a niche sport there can earn what RL calls huge money) we will really be able to attract the better college athletes that didn't make the NFL and probably convert many Union juniors.

If Perez's vision comes to life - New Zealand and France will have to significantly get their house in order and start growing as they may be quickly overtaken by two relatively new nations with what would be a stronger professional presence.

Last edited: