What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Selection Headaches May Cause Departures

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Hey all,

So i've been mulling over the current Dragons squad and i'm finding that as we start to build a lot of quality depth and as our juniors start to flourish, we may find ourself in a fight to retain players in certain positions. We are stacked with promising juniors and established first graders in a couple of main positions and I know if I was a rival club... I'd be keeping a keen eye open.
Let's break this down..

BACK ROW - Frizell/Thompson/Sims/Host/Leilua/Ford
With Frizell and Thompson likely locking down the starting second-row spots, we will probably see Leilua, Sims and Host on the bench. However, with Thompson potentially departing at the end of 2018 and Frizell holding the right edge spot for the next 4 years, there will be a fight for the starting left edge spot between Leilua and Host. Whilst I would be happy for any one of these guys to claim the spot, it's going to push one of them to the bench or even worse, to NSW Cup, which might not sit well. As a result of this I fear we may lost one of them and i'd just hate for the club to make the wrong choice. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have these selections headaches, but it's becoming obvious that players (particularly juniors coming into grade) are keen to lock down starting spots and aren't prepared to wait.
Who would you have taking Thompson's spot, Host or Leilua?

FULLBACK - Dufty/Mann/Field/Lomax
This is a tough one. Whilst Dufty deserves the spot based on performances last year and being the incumbent, Field absolutely killed it at fullback in NSW Cup next year and it's becoming obvious that he was made to be a fullback. Mary also made it clear in recent interviews that Lomax wants to be a fullback and it's going to be interesting if Dufty kills it there and leaves Lomax and Field in limbo. Duff is only 21 as well so if he makes that position his own, he's not going anywhere for a long time. In my humble opinion, Lomax is going to be an absolute superstar, probably the best prospect we have had in years, ahead of Field and Dufty by a long way. Let's not forget, Lafai has just been re-signed for 3 years and Aitken is probably the best centre currently at the club... So that could leave Lomax in limbo in that position as well.
Further to this, with Widdop and Hunt being the obvious halves combination, Field will not force his way in there either... Which may push him out of the club. I feel like it's essential to keep these two guys, both Field and Lomax offer an X-factor that we desperately need. I would hate for another club to see the potential in these guys and offer them a strong contract and a starting spot where our coaching staff couldn't (ergo, Jack Bird).
Personally, I think Lomax should start on the wing in lieu of Nightingale and Field should be the utility ahead of Mann. What are your thoughts?

I feel like these are the two problems where our biggest selection dilemmas will arise. Every other spot will pick itself, or i'm not particularly concerned if we lose any other players in other positions (Nightingale, Garrick, Lawrie etc).

Last edited:

hewi

Bench
Good post. Leilua for me as he has the X factor. Dufty for fullback again the X factor. Lomax then on the wing to start then to slide into the centres.

ST Tangles 01

Juniors
Good post.
I think all are signed beyond next season with the exception of Thompson & Dufty.
Selection headaches are a good thing to have.
I would like to keep Lawrie may not be ready yet but looks a good prospect.

Drag Queen

Bench
Hey all,

So i've been mulling over the current Dragons squad and i'm finding that as we start to build a lot of quality depth and as our juniors start to flourish, we may find ourself in a fight to retain players in certain positions. We are stacked with promising juniors and established first graders in a couple of main positions and I know if I was a rival club... I'd be keeping a keen eye open.
Let's break this down..

With Frizell and Thompson likely locking down the starting second-row spots, we will probably see Leilua, Sims and Host on the bench. However, with Thompson potentially departing at the end of 2018 and Frizell holding the right edge spot for the next 4 years, there will be a fight for the starting left edge spot between Leilua and Host. Whilst I would be happy for any one of these guys to claim the spot, it's going to push one of them to the bench or even worse, to NSW Cup, which might not sit well. As a result of this I fear we may lost one of them and i'd just hate for the club to make the wrong choice. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have these selections headaches, but it's becoming obvious that players (particularly juniors coming into grade) are keen to lock down starting spots and aren't prepared to wait.

This is a tough one. Whilst Dufty deserves the spot based on performances last year and being the incumbent, Field absolutely killed it at fullback in NSW Cup next year and it's becoming obvious that he was made to be a fullback. Mary also made it clear in recent interviews that Lomax wants to be a fullback and it's going to be interesting if Dufty kills it there and leaves Lomax and Field in limbo. Duff is only 21 as well so if he makes that position his own, he's not going anywhere for a long time. In my humble opinion, Lomax is going to be an absolute superstar, probably the best prospect we have had in years, ahead of Field and Dufty by a long way. Let's not forget, Lafai has just been re-signed for 3 years and Aitken is probably the best centre currently at the club... So that could leave Lomax in limbo in that position as well.
Further to this, with Widdop and Hunt being the obvious halves combination, Field will not force his way in there either... Which may push him out of the club. I feel like it's essential to keep these two guys, both Field and Lomax offer an X-factor that we desperately need. I would hate for another club to see the potential in these guys and offer them a strong contract and a starting spot where our coaching staff couldn't (ergo, Jack Bird).
Personally, I think Lomax should start on the wing in lieu of Nightingale and Field should be the utility ahead of Mann. What are your thoughts?

I feel like these are the two problems where our biggest selection dilemmas will arise. Every other spot will pick itself, or i'm not particularly concerned if we lose any other players in other positions (Nightingale, Garrick, Lawrie etc).
Whilst I like most of this, I'm a fan of Mann. I think he is a far superior utility than what Field could offer. It's bloody good to have back up choices though. We have a great looking team going into 2018. I just hope McGregor can change his idle ways. Here's hoping Tom.

Old Timer

Coach
Hey all,

Let's break this down..

Good post and I believe that the prop position also has issues around it.
Graham will have 1 spot as will Vaughan and Lam.
Graham will stay for 2 years and Vaughan will be fielding plenty of interest despite the fact he extended his contract.
Where are our next generation props and how will we get them game time in the NRL to develop them?
Browny at the Knights didn't have this problem as he decided to go all in with youth for a couple of years and he will reap the rewards of that in a year or two whilst we still hang onto journeymen to provide depth.
I fear that as our next generation of young backs come on line we will have a seriously depleted forward pack especially up front.

Crush

Coach
Good post and I believe that the prop position also has issues around it.
Graham will have 1 spot as will Vaughan and Lam.
Graham will stay for 2 years and Vaughan will be fielding plenty of interest despite the fact he extended his contract.
Where are our next generation props and how will we get them game time in the NRL to develop them?
Browny at the Knights didn't have this problem as he decided to go all in with youth for a couple of years and he will reap the rewards of that in a year or two whilst we still hang onto journeymen to provide depth.
I fear that as our next generation of young backs come on line we will have a seriously depleted forward pack especially up front.
Why use Nathan Brown as an example here? He had no choice but to use juniors because there was nobody else! He's coming off the back of 2 consecutive wooden spoons btw.
I can just see brown coming 12th this year and people saying well done nathan, what a great coach, he didnt come last!

Drag Queen

Bench
Why use Nathan Brown as an example here? He had no choice but to use juniors because there was nobody else! He's coming off the back of 2 consecutive wooden spoons btw.
I can just see brown coming 12th this year and people saying well done nathan, what a great coach, he didnt come last!
Browny is building a decent team Crush. Remember they did beat us last year.

Crush

Coach
Browny is building a decent team Crush. Remember they did beat us last year.
Yeah and we beat the Cowboys. So fricken what? Cowboys proved to be a way better side than us just as we proved to be a way better side than Knights.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Just a quick one..

The left edge second-row position is an interesting one for me. When Thompson leaves (which he should), if Leilua is 100% fit and playing with hunger then I would say he should claim the spot because he could be an absolute game-breaker for us. I see something really special in him. I see a lot of Dufty/Widdop running support plays off the Leilua offload.
Or, do you go the safe option in Host, who is still a strong, quality player and use Leilua as an impact player off the bench?

Gareth67

First Grade
Well put T.R.V.River , but I will say one thing and that is that we had better bluudy well win a premiership , before those honey-fingered no-cap clubs , come snooping around our boys !

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Just a quick one..

The left edge second-row position is an interesting one for me. When Thompson leaves (which he should), if Leilua is 100% fit and playing with hunger then I would say he should claim the spot because he could be an absolute game-breaker for us. I see something really special in him. I see a lot of Dufty/Widdop running support plays off the Leilua offload.
Or, do you go the safe option in Host, who is still a strong, quality player and use Leilua as an impact player off the bench?
i say neither..

we need to blood Cunningham at that point..

Crush

Coach
Just a quick one..

IMO Leilua is still a big "what if" player. He still is yet to do anything in first grade so I don't see him as anything other than an exciting prospect.
Host and Leilua both will play minor roles in 2018 I reckon.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
IMO Leilua is still a big "what if" player. He still is yet to do anything in first grade so I don't see him as anything other than an exciting prospect.
Host and Leilua both will play minor roles in 2018 I reckon.

Yeah for sure, was thinking more for 2019 and beyond.
I will definitely be watching as many NSW Cup games as possible next year to keep an eye on these young blokes.

Crush

Coach
good point.
Have you been using that joke since 2006? It never gets old, even if you do use it every time someone leaves a . as a comment because the site won't allow you to delete a post.
Keep it up muzby, you are absolutely hilarious.