What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Semi Professional Competition to start in Auckland?

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...ague-want-semi-pro-league-as-well-as-warriors

Auckland Rugby League sees starting up a new semi-professional tournament as an integral part of their bid for the Warriors.

In their ambitious proposal to take control of New Zealand's only NRL team, Auckland Rugby League want to have the Warriors at the top of a pyramid with a newly formed Bartercard Cup type league underneath it.

ARL chairman Cameron McGregor told Stuff the reason why they want to take ownership of the NRL club they sold in 1999 was to rejuvenate the game in the city.

"At the moment, we've put in a bid and we're waiting for a response and we're going through a negotiation period," McGregor said.

"One of the issues we've got at Auckland Rugby League is that for the last few years there have been over 500 players leave Auckland for Australia," McGregor said.

"We believe part of the problem with the Warriors is that we're not able to give them enough support. There is nothing in Auckland between the amateur side of the game and the professional level.

"There isn't a semi-professional competition and one of the problems I'm sure everyone is aware of with the Warriors is that they don't have players who are able to play at NRL level.

"There are no pathways in Auckland, so all of the kids are going overseas.

"Part of the reason why we want to do this is because we want to be able to take some of the Warriors' money and not only will that be good for Auckland Rugby League, but also extremely beneficial for the Warriors, in that if we have a competition underneath them at a sufficient level.

"So instead of having one halfback and stand off running around in the reserve grade, they'd have possibly 10 halfbacks and stand offs running around in a competition below them."

When Jason Taumalolo left New Zealand at the age of 14, he did so knowing even then that his chances of making it into the NRL were greater if he lived in Australia.

Club league in New Zealand is amateur, so if players miss out on the NRL, they can try their luck with a NSW Cup or Queensland Cup team in Australia and then hope to make the step up from there.

Having a semi professional competition in this country would give those players more incentive to stay on this side of the Tasman.

"Because we're losing all of these players, there is no depth here in Auckland for the Warriors," McGregor said.

"They should be a player development club, that's what they were set up for and we know we've got the talent in New Zealand.

"If we could harness that talent in the proper way, then surely we'd be in the top four every year.

"The other thing that's being missed at the moment is that Auckland Rugby League, via the Carlaw Park Trust, is in a much stronger position now than it was even five years ago.

"We got rid of the Warriors because we were scared that we were going to have to sell Carlaw Park to put money into the Warriors.

"We're a much different beast now, but it would be treated as an investment, like any other investment, except we'd be investing back into our game and what could be better than that?"

The ARL vision of setting up a strong competition underneath the Warriors is a compelling one.

The Bartercard Cup and its predecessor the Lion Red Cup ran from 1994 to 2008, before being replaced by a shorter national zonal competition.

Now called the National Competition, it is played over just four weekends at the end of the club season and struggles to attract media and public attention.

McGregor believes returning to the old model would be more beneficial.

"We'd like a Lion Red/Bartercard Cup type competition going here in Auckland," he said.

"We might elevate the Fox Memorial to that level, but we need to get the standard up and show these guys that are leaving that there is a pathway where they can stay in Auckland.

"The problem is that a lot of the young kids are leaving because they don't believe there are pathways in Auckland, but only four per cent, of them ever make it.

"When they don't make it, they don't seem to ever come back to us, so we've lost them to the game forever."

McGregor says he hopes to know in the next couple of weeks whether they'll be able to regain ownership of the Warriors.

"We're continuing to meet with the Warriors," he said.

"We'll see if we can come up with something that is acceptable to both parties."

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
Personally i would rather see Semi Professional teams set up in Waikato, Wellington and Christchurch, but this is what happens when a district has tonnes more money than the National Governing body!

But good to see Auckland RL taking the bull by the horns and trying to make changes..

adamkungl

Immortal
Take Warriors out of NSW Cup and U20s. Use those 50-60 players as the top talent to start an 8 team NZ league.
14 game home away season at decent parks and televise 1 a week before the NRL.
Bugger off the 3 round zone comp thing.

Auckland City
South Auckland
Whangerei-Northland
Waikato-Hamilton
Taranaki
Wellington
Christchurch
Dunedin

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I dont know much about this Auckland RL group, but i generally prefer organisations to own clubs rather than individuals.

It allows a turnover of people at the board level without a full restructuring every time someone leaves.

Id be keen to hear what a local or someone for familiar with the ARL thinks of this bid...

Take Warriors out of NSW Cup and U20s. Use those 50-60 players as the top talent to start an 8 team NZ league.
14 game home away season at decent parks and televise 1 a week before the NRL.
Bugger off the 3 round zone comp thing.

Auckland City
South Auckland
Whangerei-Northland
Waikato-Hamilton
Taranaki
Wellington
Christchurch
Dunedin

I would agree with this but then bring this in as another division int the State Championship.

This comp would be great for NZ domestic RL and the State Championship would give that comp the prestige and exposure of potentially featuring on GF day and being equated to NSW and QLD Cup

Where would the money to fund these semi professional teams come from?

From the article, it looks like they are planning to use Warriors money to fund it. With is what you really want NRL clubs to be doing.

adamkungl

Immortal

The NZRL should get a grant from the NRL similar to the NSW and QLD RLs, since NZ provides a rather sizeable number of players to the NRL but somehow don't have 2 coins to rub together.

This comp would be great for NZ domestic RL and the State Championship would give that comp the prestige and exposure of potentially featuring on GF day and being equated to NSW and QLD Cup

This is what I was getting at but didn't say explicitly. a 3rd tier-2 comp.
If you want to go full pie in the sky throw a Tongan and Samoan team in there too when its financially viable.
Imagine that, QLD Cup featuring PNG, NSW Cup featuring Fiji, NZ Cup featuring Tonga and Samoa.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
If Auckland RL did aquire the Warriors, i would hope that they would make a big deal about Est.1909...

Sure, they were only promoted in 1995, but it is an acknowledgement that they have existed for more than a century.

I really hate this idea that RL in expansion areas is only acknowledged after the NSWRL arrived. These clubs should declare that they are a century old and that they have won however many titles the achieved in their local comp.

adamkungl

Immortal
I really hate this idea that RL in expansion areas is only acknowledged after the NSWRL arrived. These clubs should declare that they are a century old and that they have won however many titles the achieved in their local comp.

There are a grand total of zero NRL expansion clubs that were promoted from a local comp. All expansion teams were created above a local comp. As far as I can tell, the last 2 that could be said to have been promoted were Penrith and Cronulla.
Edit: I'm told maybe the old Gold Coast Giants/Seagulls/Chargers were, but my point still stands

jim_57

Staff member
This could be great for the game if it is done right and done well. Maybe Fiji could try their luck in this comp if NSW Cup don't let them in. Not sure on a Samoan or Tongan team, but if this comp could get up I'd like to see an 'adopt-an-island' type setup where teams partner with a Pacific Island and creates a pathway/trials for local players and maybe plays a game or 2 in that country.

So using the 8 team model you could have Tonga, Samoa, Solomon Is, Vanuatu, Cook Islands, New Caledonia, Hawaii etc all repped. Fiji too obviously preferably with their own team.

LeagueXIII

First Grade

Auckland Rugby League is loaded mainly from the old Carlaw Park;

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/3325733/Get-your-hands-off-our-millions-ARL

CARLAW PARK has proved a good investment for league. It cost the ARL just $4322 to purchase and prepare it in 1921, and $200,000 when it bought the freehold in 1974. But in 2007, when it accepted it could never be transformed into a modern sports stadium, the freehold to the No2 field was sold for $15,635,787, and the leasehold for No1 for an annual rent of over $1m.

The windfall, technically, belongs to 32 clubs – from Rodney in the north to Pukekohe in the south. But first, it flows into the Carlaw Heritage Trust, controlled by McGregor, two of his board members – staunch allies Richard Bolton and Steve Brewster – former Olympic Games selector Bruce Cameron and lawyer James Denham Shale.

In 2008 the trust awarded the ARL $1,313,464 – more than half the league's entire income – and more than $200,000 was returned to clubs. Despite vociferous protests from some clubs, around $150,000 was also spent on the ARL's team in the NRL reserve grade, the Auckland Vulcans.

The $15m from the sale is mostly banked, although more than $5.5m is invested in shares in a property company managed by McDougall Reidy, the Carlaw Park developer. Poor take-up for a planned retirement village on the main field has put the $1m rent under threat, so McGregor says the trustees will sit on the cash and wait for the property market to revive.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
There are a grand total of zero NRL expansion clubs that were promoted from a local comp. All expansion teams were created above a local comp. As far as I can tell, the last 2 that could be said to have been promoted were Penrith and Cronulla.
Edit: I'm told maybe the old Gold Coast Giants/Seagulls/Chargers were, but my point still stands

Yes, but almost every team since those Panthers/Cronulla promotions have effectively been the representitive teams from these local comps with small variations to the branding.

What im saying is that they should make these links more explicit and declare that the forming of this representitve body is when they consider their foundation year to be.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The NZRL should get a grant from the NRL similar to the NSW and QLD RLs, since NZ provides a rather sizeable number of players to the NRL but somehow don't have 2 coins to rub together.

It might take a bit of swallowed pride on the part of the NZRL, but they really should be incorporated as a subsidiary branch of the ARLC (its probably the only way the ARLC will send them any decent grant money)

They could also demand some form of representation on the Commission (given NSWRL and QLR get to elect members), a move like this would give them influence and money and the NZRL seems to desperately need.