What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Semi Radradra

El Diablo

Post Whore
Surely sponsorships like this involve some kind of contract. If Semi is found not guilty in the courts then I think he will absolutely have a case to sue for damages.
you would think so as if he was found not guilty then they have no reason to justify tearing up a contract

Noise

Coach
I wouldn't be surprised if Blades and Semis management came to an agreement in terms of a payout to end the sponsorship

phantom eel

First Grade
Like I've said, whatever happens in court I reckon the allegations are true. That's just my personal opinion.

But supposing he is not guilty, and is found not guilty by the court, does Radradra have a case for damages here?
I woundn't think so.

Sponsorship contracts are likely to be heavily loaded in favour of the sponsor, particuarly so that they can get out of the arrangement at the sniff of something that might damage their brand reputation.

Semi didn't front for the first hearing, so the allegations have only remained "live" (and a continuing risk to brand reputantion) this long due to his original non-attendance. The sponsor has made a business decision about being associated with Semi between now and the May court date, and has chosen he risk (and media coverage between now and then) is not worth their $$$$.

Probably also considered his announced intention to f**k off to France (and hence away from the target market) in November or sooner if possible. So the company is better off investing the money on a different player/athlete.

Happy MEel

First Grade
I woundn't think so.

Sponsorship contracts are likely to be heavily loaded in favour of the sponsor, particuarly so that they can get out of the arrangement at the sniff of something that might damage their brand reputation.

Semi didn't front for the first hearing, so the allegations have only remained "live" (and a continuing risk to brand reputantion) this long due to his original non-attendance. The sponsor has made a business decision about being associated with Semi between now and the May court date, and has chosen he risk (and media coverage between now and then) is not worth their $$$$.

Probably also considered his announced intention to f**k off to France (and hence away from the target market) in November or sooner if possible. So the company is better off investing the money on a different player/athlete.
That's assuming Blades were the only footwear sponsor prepared to pay Semi. I find that hard to believe as prior to last year he was hot property. He would have had plenty of bargaining power in negotiations so I don't think it would have been that heavily swayed in Blades favour. Don't forget the opportunity cost of selecting one sponsor over another.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Sponsorship deals are not like NRL contracts, I guess they can make their own rules when they are throwing money at players so they can probabaly do what they like.

Gronk

Staff member
Sponsorship deals are not like NRL contracts, I guess they can make their own rules when they are throwing money at players so they can probabaly do what they like.

Well no, but there would be general provisions which entitle termination. Below is from an employment contract, but in essence you'll get what I mean.

Clipboard01.jpg

Yeh, they would normally have provisions in a sponsorship agreement that allow termination on several grounds, including being charged with an offence. Players know this when they sign up.

Gronk

Staff member
When it comes to falls from grace, there have been few bigger than the one Semi Radradra has inflicted upon himself. This column has learnt he was sleeping in a park near his house as his life spiralled out of control last year.

Semi was a favourite with Eels fans and so many outside the club. When he took off for Fiji in June, telling mates he was not coming back, it masked his problems at home. Women were his weakness and his actions towards them may be his downfall. The domestic violence allegations against him are shocking. While a charge of assault causing actual bodily harm was withdrawn in court on Monday, he has a long way to go to clear his name.

The NRL is rightly giving him his day in court, but if Semi is guilty of common assault there is a strong argument he should be banished even if he wants to return to the NRL after his French rugby stint.

In the meantime, his life is a mess. At the height of the drama he didn't want to bother friends and chose a park over a couch.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...y-with-gold-coast-titans-20170218-gug27i.html

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
For me he is past tense with interest factor zero.
head_in_the_sand-461x307.jpg

surfer1

Juniors
Yeh, well he is presently in our first grade squad, and has the potential to either be very useful for us or pretty destructive to us. I'd say his future is pretty important to our chances, whether we like it or not.
Yep agree all of that. Still rather he not play till shows respect.

EelsFan05

Bench
How long into the season until Semi's "welfare is bigger then football" and we release him from his contract. That way he can be further from him family and new missus and make a miraculous recovery after he gets what he wants.

Latest posts