What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Semis

Now there's going to be a lot of "ifs" in this.

IF we make the semis, and IF Dufty is still fullback and playing well, do we risk him at the back in such a huge game, or do we revert to the safe option of the experienced Dugan?

In my humble opinion, given that Dugan is going, I think it's worth the risk.
IF we make the semis, I don't see us challenging the likes of the Storm, Sharks or Broncos, who knows we might? I've been wrong before on occasion.

So if we play Dufty and he stars it may be the making of him, if we don't it may break his confidence but he still has a whole off season to get that back and he still gets the experience of starting in a semi final.

I can see no downside to giving him a go.

Dragsters

First Grade
If he gets picked in the 1 until round 26 then he has to play there in the semis.

Firstly, he will have 7 games under his belt and secondly, if we are going to make any kind of impact in the semis we will need his x-factor.

Dare to dream...

Bench
If results go our way over the next few rounds we could sneak up the ladder whilst no one is watching

Gareth67

First Grade
Semi's ? Should the Big Red V be there , Duffy definitely needs to be in the team , personally , I would have Dugan at fullback for his defence and Duffy on the interchange , to be brought on as the opposition forwards begin to tire .

My reasoning is that the teams that we may meet , will be at the very top of the ladder , teams who will step up another cog in the semis . That , plus their coaches shall identity any weak links in our team , and I would not like to put Duffy under that scrutiny , as yet .

The Dragons will need to come out and make every post a winner , no mistakes , as that will be their only chance of moving on to the following week's match .

But at this point in time , to be in the final eight , the boys must continue to perform against other teams with final aspirations also . Should the Dragons get there , we will have earned our place , and that will put us in good stead for those end of season games .

Last edited:

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
I am more confident about our run to the finals now that Dufty has been selected for the Knights match. A few weeks back there were Forum members stating we may not win another match. But the Manly game is a turning point. It seems to me that Dufty is the link we have been missing through the very ordinary middle part of the season when the attack was as feeble as 2016. It's no surprise to fans who have seen him play in the lower grades. The surprising issue was how long it took Mary to give him a go. I think playing him, assuming we make the finals, will be vital. If you are the 7th or 8th team you are not going to progress too far by being conservative. However I could be persuaded to accept Gareth's viewpoint that,

We definitely need him in the team , personally , I would have Dugan at fullback for his defence and Duffy on the interchange , to be brought on as the opposition forwards begin to tire .

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

We definitely need him in the team , personally , I would have Dugan at fullback for his defence and Duffy on the interchange , to be brought on as the opposition forwards begin to tire .

Just added in the couple of font formats you missed..

thebigredv

First Grade
One game at a time. While a few of us saw enough in the Raiders game for us to beat the Sea Eagles, I wouldn't say confidence is something we can have a lot of for our team, until they find some consistency. Some are talking about getting our for and against boosted against Knights and for Dufty to jag a couple tries. I am just hoping we can play cohesive, determined footy for 80 minutes. Do that every week and we will be there.

As for Dufty. He keeps getting picked from now and into the finals so long as he doesn't become a liability. I am sure we are all hoping his confidence in himself continues to grow and grow, and he can really become a key player for us going forward, especially before his new contract comes around and we have to try and fit him and others under our cap. But now I am getting ahead of myself.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Now there's going to be a lot of "ifs" in this.

IF we make the semis, and IF Dufty is still fullback and playing well, do we risk him at the back in such a huge game, or do we revert to the safe option of the experienced Dugan?

In my humble opinion, given that Dugan is going, I think it's worth the risk.
IF we make the semis, I don't see us challenging the likes of the Storm, Sharks or Broncos, who knows we might? I've been wrong before on occasion.

So if we play Dufty and he stars it may be the making of him, if we don't it may break his confidence but he still has a whole off season to get that back and he still gets the experience of starting in a semi final.

I can see no downside to giving him a go.
We leave Dufty at fullback for sure. I think we are a better team with Dufty at fullback, than Dugan. I think Dufty at fullback improves our chances of going deeper into the finals and it will be good for him to experience finals football.

possm

Coach
For me it is Dufty at fullback for the rest of the season and beyond. He is a great addition to our backline and is well aware to use his wingers to bring the ball out when things get tough.

Dugan to right centre for the remainder of his stay at the Club.

Saint or sinner

Juniors
Dufty has to stay in side pick the team on form.. We will be even stronger with Dugan and Lafai in centres two big bodies and good defenders out wide.. This is where we seem to leak a lot of tries..who knows he could be the link we've been missing all season.. Should have picked him much earlier.. Go the dragons finals charge

ALSGI

Bench
No brainer, Dufty at FB.
We have a Rep Centre in Dugan.
If Dufty stumbles or is injured Dugan back to FB. When Dugan gets injured again in the next few weeks Aitken should be good to go.
The biggest problem is what to do with Mann. No good leaving him on the bench for 80mins. Mary needs a plan to bring him on and use him for more than 10mins.

epDragon62

First Grade
While I'm as excited as anyone else about Dufty there seems to be a view that he is the only reason we went so well against Manly.

Let's not be so silly to ignore that the team played better all round and Dufty leveraged our attack a few notches on the back of that.

More please boys.

j0nesy

Bench
No brainer, Dufty at FB.
We have a Rep Centre in Dugan.
If Dufty stumbles or is injured Dugan back to FB. When Dugan gets injured again in the next few weeks Aitken should be good to go.
The biggest problem is what to do with Mann. No good leaving him on the bench for 80mins. Mary needs a plan to bring him on and use him for more than 10mins.

Mann provides good cover for halves, centre, wing and fullback. Personally I think he will eventually replace Nightingale.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
While I'm as excited as anyone else about Dufty there seems to be a view that he is the only reason we went so well against Manly.

Let's not be so silly to ignore that the team played better all round and Dufty leveraged our attack a few notches on the back of that.

More please boys.

Spot on.
The forwards played harder in attack and defence.
Widdop dominated and the kicking game was better.

Latest posts