What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sensational wins.

As a former punter who still loves to watch the races ,I was just wondering what were some of the most memorable wins (G1,WFA or handicap).
My fave horse ever was VO Rogue..Love front runners who cant be run down.
I loved Sunline & her win in HK in the mile was breathtaking.
I also loved Fairy king Prawn.He was a machine over the last 400 mtrs of a race.

But 2 races in AUS ,stand out for me .
The first was Veandercross in the 92 Mackinnon.
One of the greatest wins I have seen ,& sadly this win gets little recognition.
Should have beaten a sensational field by 10 lengths easy,if luck went his way.

Watch The race ..pink colours on fence into straight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm3TMsDtzDc.

He beat Rough Habit,who is one of my other fave memorable wins.

There is a story behind that day & why I didn't back him.

As all punters know there are times when you just know a horse(usually at double figure odds) is going to win.As sure as the sun rising & setting you just know it.
Such was the case on Stradbroke day in 92.Was sitting at home thinking I should go & have a good whack at Rough Habit.The more I looked at the race the more I was certain beyond all doubt that he would win.
Back then a good whack for a 1 wage family with young children was about $100..
A sum I rarely bet.
The tote call came through about 40 mins before the race ..Roughie was paying $10+
I could not believe it .I was sure I misheard …Same again next tote call..i was picking up my car keys to head to the TAB when
my 2 yr old daughter decides to try to swallow a 10c piece.
Choking drama..turning blue etc..Till she ejected it..
Needless to say all betting thoughts took a back seat.
Missed backing Roughie & as I listened to Wayne Wilson call,I thought good I saved myself a $100.
Till halfway down the straight then I heard it..& even now when I hear That call or when I watch that race it gives me goosebumps..To come from last on the corner with 58.5 was an unbelievable effort.Plus the ride from Cassidy got a 10/10

The race is at 2.00 mins in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3XqlOTEiz8

So feel free to add any You tube vids or stories of great wins.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Not so much a sensational win, but an amazing win.

The 1986 Hobart Cup winner (2380 m) Dark Intruder backs up two weeks later in a 1200 m sprint at Moonee Valley. Ridden by Pat Hyland, who was one of the top Melbourne jockeys at the time makes one wonder what's going on.

So I go halves in $20 each way with a punting pal of mine. Dark Intruder is five lengths behind the second last horse at the home turn and the TAB ticket is duly binned.

The horse unleashes an amazing finish overtaking the entire field to win by just over a length paying a juicy $39 for the win and about $8 for the place.

Ticket is eventually retrieved and we are both a tad under $500 richer each!

WaznTheGreat

Referee
As a former punter who still loves to watch the races ,I was just wondering what were some of the most memorable wins (G1,WFA or handicap).
My fave horse ever was VO Rogue..Love front runners who cant be run down.
I loved Sunline & her win in HK in the mile was breathtaking.
I also loved Fairy king Prawn.He was a machine over the last 400 mtrs of a race.

But 2 races in AUS ,stand out for me .
The first was Veandercross in the 92 Mackinnon.
One of the greatest wins I have seen ,& sadly this win gets little recognition.
Should have beaten a sensational field by 10 lengths easy,if luck went his way.

Watch The race ..pink colours on fence into straight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm3TMsDtzDc.

He beat Rough Habit,who is one of my other fave memorable wins.

There is a story behind that day & why I didn't back him.

As all punters know there are times when you just know a horse(usually at double figure odds) is going to win.As sure as the sun rising & setting you just know it.
Such was the case on Stradbroke day in 92.Was sitting at home thinking I should go & have a good whack at Rough Habit.The more I looked at the race the more I was certain beyond all doubt that he would win.
Back then a good whack for a 1 wage family with young children was about $100..
A sum I rarely bet.
The tote call came through about 40 mins before the race ..Roughie was paying $10+
I could not believe it .I was sure I misheard ?Same again next tote call..i was picking up my car keys to head to the TAB when
my 2 yr old daughter decides to try to swallow a 10c piece.
Choking drama..turning blue etc..Till she ejected it..
Needless to say all betting thoughts took a back seat.
Missed backing Roughie & as I listened to Wayne Wilson call,I thought good I saved myself a $100.
Till halfway down the straight then I heard it..& even now when I hear That call or when I watch that race it gives me goosebumps..To come from last on the corner with 58.5 was an unbelievable effort.Plus the ride from Cassidy got a 10/10

The race is at 2.00 mins in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3XqlOTEiz8

So feel free to add any You tube vids or stories of great wins.

That Hong Kong Mile clash was one of the best races of all time for sure

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Super Impose 1990
Doncaster Handicap, and carrying topweight of 57 kilograms, and Super Impose came from the tail of the field on the home turn to defeat Shaftesbury Avenue.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Lonhro(Australian Cup) Gets out late after being being blocked for the majority of the straight
Starcraft(Mudgeway Stakes) Incredible late run
Xcellent(Mudgeway Stakes) Incredible late run
Saintly(CF Orr Stakes) Incredible late run
Montjeu(King George) Hand Canter
Afleet Alex(Preakness Stakes) Almost fell over
Choisir(Golden Jubilee Stakes) Backing up a few days after winning King Stand Stakes
Kingston Town(Cox Plate) Kingston Town can't win
Better Loosen Up(Australian Cup) Thrashed Vo Rogue by 5 lengths
Intergaze(Australian Cup) Went out with a massive lead of around 8 lengths and held on to win,usually he sat off the pace

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Haynetrain has mentioned quite a few of my fav wins, Super Imposes 4th straight Randwick Mile is always a highlight.

Might and Powers Caulfield Cup win and his Queen Elizabeth wins were epic, Occy's win in that great derby where he beat a crack crop of 3 yr olds and SYT first Cox Plate win when in just his 5th start.

My best win and favourite win of all time was Efficient's Melbourne Cup win, mainly because he was written off and i told everyone all spring he was the cup horse. I got him at the start of the spring for 20's which i thought were massive overs but when he jumped at 27-1 i couldn't believe it so i had 50ew 10 on the quin and the tri nearly twice. Greatest day on the punt for me by a mile.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Haynetrain has mentioned quite a few of my fav wins, Super Imposes 4th straight Randwick Mile is always a highlight.

Might and Powers Caulfield Cup win and his Queen Elizabeth wins were epic, Occy's win in that great derby where he beat a crack crop of 3 yr olds and SYT first Cox Plate win when in just his 5th start.

My best win and favourite win of all time was Efficient's Melbourne Cup win, mainly because he was written off and i told everyone all spring he was the cup horse. I got him at the start of the spring for 20's which i thought were massive overs but when he jumped at 27-1 i couldn't believe it so i had 50ew 10 on the quin and the tri nearly twice. Greatest day on the punt for me by a mile.

Old mate Efficient was the people's champ

Can't believe i forgot Belle Du Jours Golden Slipper win,missed the start by 7 days and still won

Yeh was a great win ,but against own age.
Watch the Veandercross win,& the horses he beat.(Better loosen up was one )
Missed the start by 3-4 lengths.
Checked badly at 400 ,gets going ,goes for a run at the 150 ,nearly fell
Wins by a length.Front on shows how badly he was interfered with
With a clear run from corner would have won by panels of fencing.

Last edited:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
And Dye still claims he didn't slaughter him in the Caulfield Cup :lol:

Flapper

First Grade
As a personally gratifying win my dad's horse (now broodmare) Monocular scoring an all the way win at Armidale at $44 after an textbook front running ride by Robert Thompson is hard to top. For win's I didn't profit from Belle du Jour in the Slipper was pretty magic, unfortunately I was a bit young to remember the Better Loosen Up or Super Impose wins y'all are jabbering about.

WaznTheGreat

Referee

Enormous win,Veandercross had a good rivalry with Naturalism also

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Lonhro(Australian Cup) Gets out late after being being blocked for the majority of the straight
Starcraft(Mudgeway Stakes) Incredible late run
Xcellent(Mudgeway Stakes) Incredible late run
Saintly(CF Orr Stakes) Incredible late run
Montjeu(King George) Hand Canter
Afleet Alex(Preakness Stakes) Almost fell over
Choisir(Golden Jubilee Stakes) Backing up a few days after winning King Stand Stakes
Kingston Town(Cox Plate) Kingston Town can't win
Better Loosen Up(Australian Cup) Thrashed Vo Rogue by 5 lengths
Intergaze(Australian Cup) Went out with a massive lead of around 8 lengths and held on to win,usually he sat off the pace

Another great race call from Bill Collins. :lol:

On par with the greatest f**k ups from Wayne Wilson.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Another great race call from Bill Collins. :lol:

On par with the greatest f**k ups from Wayne Wilson.

One day at Doomben....

"And So and So hits the lead with 200 metres to go but he's all over the track like a drunken sailor. He's going to hit the outside rail and the jockey's having a terrible time steering this horse...

"How he's staying on So and So has got me beat....

"Geez I didn't see who won this race..."

Latest posts