What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sensational wins.

Horrie Is God

First Grade
The 1992 & 2001 Cox Plates are up there with the greatest races i've seen..

Might & Power leading all the way in the Melbourne Cup is another..

All Super Impose's Randwick mile wins too..

The King's 1st & 3rd Cox Plates are others..

On a personal punting note, backing Teranabaa at 150/1 in the 2006 Spring Champion Stakes, & Monaco Consul at 50/1 in the 2009 Spring Champion Stakes were not too bad..

Foz

Bench
Bonecrusher/Waverley Star would have to get a run in great races I'd reckon.
Best wins I Saw were a couple of pacers in miracle miles.
One was by Mount Eden and the other by Gundary Flyer.
Both broke at the start and were gone.Both somehow won and they weren't going slow in those mile races.
Kingston Town can't win is still my favourite race though.The call just makes it better.

I remember the Veandercross Mackinnon win very well.Couldn't back a winner all Derby Day till Vendercross won.Still lost on the day but would've been about $600 worst off if he hadn't saluted.

Last edited:

Sphagnum

Coach
Also, one of my favourites of all time. Backed him at just about every start and the amount of times he won at double figures for me before he had that memorable spring. Actually, he started the spring with a win in the Gilgai from an impossible position and paid $10.90 if I remember correctly. Paid for many, many beers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-dpoy82Hzc

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Also, one of my favourites of all time. Backed him at just about every start and the amount of times he won at double figures for me before he had that memorable spring. Actually, he started the spring with a win in the Gilgai from an impossible position and paid $10.90 if I remember correctly. Paid for many, many beers

That was a win, pretty handy field as well.

WaznTheGreat

Referee

Great win,i could never catch All Silent but he was really good on his day

Lemon Squash

First Grade
That trip to Hong Kong and then Dubai not long after really seemed to kill All Silents career. He actually performed pretty well while he was overseas but when he came back he was just a different horse, absolutely gutted him. It's a shame because I think if he stayed in AUS he probably could have been grp1 competitive for another season or two.

One of my own favourite wins was Takeover Targets 2009 TJ Smith. A rising 10 year old who everyone thought was well past his best coming up against the cream of Aussie sprinters at the time and he gave them all wind burn.

One of Mark Shean's best calls, goosebump inducing stuff... THEY WON'T GET HIM!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcGXarDU-jc

dogz08

First Grade
I remember Dizelle winning an AJC Oaks from last.. Can't seem to find a vid on it

Her turn of foot on a bog track was awesome, that win seemed to bottom her she never quite the same horse after that.

Reminded me of JUST NOW (Jimmy Atkins) winning the 1986 AJC Oaks.
Came from last ,made her run about 45 wide on the corner.(i thing Gauci rode her).
Cant find any footage .the same with DINKY FLYER,a very good mare from the early 80s.
Won a few good Mares races ,(& 1985 Villiers)always coming from last with a sensational sprint.

But One of my fave racehorses that gets very very little mention was COLE DIESEL.
He had one of the best finishing sprints i have ever seen,usually over 1600m.
He was not expected to run the 2400m of the Caulfield cup..
A sensational win ,Any wider & he would have been in the car park.about 8 wide at 800.
around the corner about 28 wide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FApNLLIAEug

In some ways Cole Diesel is best remembered for a race he didn't start in. It is a pity because on his day Cole Diesel had a finishing sprint rarely seen on a racetrack. He won the QTC Guineas as a three-year-old and then had a wonderful four-year-old season winning five Group races - the GCTC Goldmarket, AJC Tramway Handicap, STC Shannon Stakes, the VATC Elders Mile (Toorak Handicap) and the Caulfield Cup. His finishing burst in the 1989 Caulfield Cup demolished a first class field. But in a strange twist officials refused to let him run in the Cox Plate that year - they said he wasn't a weight-for-age horse. He was well beaten in the Melbourne Cup and never won again.

Last edited: