What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shane Flanagan's rant, Greenberg's response

betcats

Referee
I actually think flano carried on like dick.
I've even said that in here.
So that'd make me on both sides?

My only issue is forcing coaches to face press conferences and then be fined if they mention a refereeing mistake.

They don't fine coaches for mentioning a mistake, they fine them for going way overboard, which Flanno did. It was pure deflection at the expense of the refs.

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
In which I just called him a dick for doing it.

Der

And the NRL fined him for it so what is the problem?

On one hand you say he is a dick(which I did see, I wasn't bagging you) then you say you have a problem with the NRL fining him, doesn't add up mate. He didn't just 'mention' the mistakes, he could've done that in a reasonable way while still letting everyone know he wasn't happy with the calls and not get fined, but as most will agree he decided to act like a dick and was fined accordingly. As long as the NRL applies it consistently going forward then its a good rule IMO.

Last edited:

Surely

Post Whore
Might want to actually get your facts straight. The team which conceded the most penalties in 2017 was Cronulla with 186, followed by Melbourne with 183, Manly with 180, Parramatta with 177, Penrith with 173, Gold Coast with 164 and Canberra with 161. The Roosters only conceded 160, which is the 9th most in the NRL.

Source: https://www.nrl.com/stats/telstrapremiership/clubstatistics/tabid/10254/default.aspx

You might want to read a few posts below the one you quoted

carcharias

Immortal
And the NRL fined him for it so what is the problem?

On one hand you say he is a dick(which I did see, I wasn't bagging you) then you say you have a problem with the NRL fining him, doesn't add up mate.

No I didn't say I have a problem with them fining "him".
I said I have a problem with coaches being forced to sit in these press conferences and be goaded into answering questions about refs decisions.
When they do it truthfully in the heat of the moment they get fined.
It is ridiculous.
How many coaches have been fined over the years for it?
Can you not see that there is a massive problem with it?

The coaches are under the most pressure in the game.
They are forced to talk about the game
Yet they are banned from talking about certain aspects of a game.
The jounos know this but still ask the questions hoping to get a bite.

That idiot Greenberg ignores the huge flaw in the process.

betcats

Referee
No I didn't say I have a problem with them fining "him".
I said I have a problem with coaches being forced to sit in these press conferences and be goaded into answering questions about refs decisions.
When they do it truthfully in the heat of the moment they get fined.
It is ridiculous.
How many coaches have been fined over the years for it?
Can you not see that there is a massive problem with it?

The coaches are under the most pressure in the game.
They are forced to talk about the game
Yet they are banned from talking about certain aspects of a game.
The jounos know this but still ask the questions hoping to get a bite.

That idiot Greenberg ignores the huge flaw in the process.

Haha be serious, He walked in with a list of f**k ups to blow up about, and possibly even sought approval grom the CEO and chairman from what ive read, he was not goaded in any way shape or form. It was premeditated.

They are not banned, coaches answer questions and give opinions on incorrect calls quite often without getting fined.

Greenberg is a muppet so I'm not defending the inconsistency that plagues the NRL, but in this case you are wrong.

carcharias

Immortal
Haha be serious, He walked in with a list of f**k ups to blow up about, and possibly even sought approval grom the CEO and chairman from what ive read, he was not goaded in any way shape or form. It was premeditated.

They are not banned, coaches answer questions and give opinions on incorrect calls quite often without getting fined.

Greenberg is a muppet so I'm not defending the inconsistency that plagues the NRL, but in this case you are wrong.

Again
I think he carried on like a dick...did I say that?

But nevertheless it is a geniused way to make coaches do press conferences.

They're basically gagged from stating the obvious.

carcharias

Immortal
Again, no they are not. I've seen coaches say that calls were incorrect and not get fined plenty of times. It probably comes up in every post match press conference.
And I've seen heaps more say they can't answer the question for a fear of being fined.
Rick Stuart says it every week just about

dannyt

Coach
No worries

It would appear though that conceding the most errors doesn't mean you are going good to lose

As per the rosters topping that stat
Probably an indication that the better teams do more with their possession, and so are more likely to make mistakes.

carcharias

Immortal
So when has a coached been fined that you don't agree with?

Dunno off the top of my head.
I'm sure there are a few where I have agreed with the coaches
I'm sure there a few you have too.

What's the point of doing them if they are only allowed to say what they are told they can say?

betcats

Referee
Dunno off the top of my head.
I'm sure there are a few where I have agreed with the coaches
I'm sure there a few you have too.

What's the point of doing them if they are only allowed to say what they are told they can say?

FMD the poor coaches aren't allowed to bag the shit out of the refs every week how do they work under these conditions?
Can you say what you really want to at work to your colleagues? Most of us cannot, this is no different. They only get fined when they are ridiculous so I really doubt ive ever disagreed with one of these fines.

We have them because we are contractually obligated to have them its that simple.

I don't have figures but it seems there are more refs being assaulted these days, we even had an NRL player assaulted at a junior game while running the lines. Its becoming a disgrace the way our junior refs are treated, the entire game needs to be better and these fines are part of it.

If you cant even point out one time you thought a fine was unwarranted then what are we even talking about?

T-Boon

Coach
These coaches need a role model. Maybe Mal as the Kangaroos coach can take it on himself to set a high standard. Go out and teach these young fools how to run a press conference.

Latest posts