What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shane Flanagan's rant, Greenberg's response

betcats

Referee
These coaches need a role model. Maybe Mal as the Kangaroos coach can take it on himself to set a high standard. Go out and teach these young fools how to run a press conference.

Not sure if serious but QLD certainly do manage refs better than NSW. Laurie bags and questions the blokes before the game as if that is going to help us.

carcharias

Immortal
FMD the poor coaches aren't allowed to bag the shit out of the refs every week how do they work under these conditions?
Can you say what you really want to at work to your colleagues? Most of us cannot, this is no different. They only get fined when they are ridiculous so I really doubt ive ever disagreed with one of these fines.

We have them because we are contractually obligated to have them its that simple.

I don't have figures but it seems there are more refs being assaulted these days, we even had an NRL player assaulted at a junior game while running the lines. Its becoming a disgrace the way our junior refs are treated, the entire game needs to be better and these fines are part of it.

If you cant even point out one time you thought a fine was unwarranted then what are we even talking about?

That is all great
Yeah yeah kids sport etc et

But like Ive said
Why have the journalists in there asking questions about refereeing decisions that they know the coach can't answer for fear of being fined?

This was not the case on the weekend.
However , it happens way too much.
What is the point?
Those press conferences are an absolute debacle
Everything about them.

Can you not see how f**king stupid the whole thing is?

T-Boon

Coach
Not sure if serious but QLD certainly do manage refs better than NSW. Laurie bags and questions the blokes before the game as if that is going to help us.

I am serious. The overall culture within the NRL coaching ranks is an embarrassment. I keep reading that they go over to the US on sports franchise studies but what the heck do they do whilst there?

The coaches need to get serious about the ten minutes free NRL advertisement time they get after the game. It is not a time to save your job. It is a time to try to convince Australia that rugby league is not a dead shit thugs game. Try to make some interesting points about the game. Introduce a new concept that has the media walking away thinking what the f**k was he talking about. ETC.

I'd rather a coach run through his grocery list than whinge about the refereeing for the 5 millionth time.

T-Boon

Coach
Why have the journalists in there asking questions about refereeing decisions that they know the coach can't answer for fear of being fined?

The media constantly ask about the refereeing because they know the coaches are unable or unwilling to talk about any other aspect of the game for more than about 30 seconds.

It should be the coaches job to try to educate the media and the fans during these press conferences. Make us all a bit smarter about the game.

betcats

Referee
That is all great
Yeah yeah kids sport etc et

But like Ive said

This was not the case on the weekend.
However , it happens way too much.
What is the point?
Those press conferences are an absolute debacle
Everything about them.

Can you not see how f**king stupid the whole thing is?

I can see the point you are making but I just don't agree with some of the things its based on. The coaches can answer those questions, they can say a call was incorrect i've seen it plenty of times.

Press conferences are a waste of time for the most part and the media are mostly to blame for that imo but every major sport has to suffer them, its just part of the business.

betcats

Referee
I am serious. The overall culture within the NRL coaching ranks is an embarrassment. I keep reading that they go over to the US on sports franchise studies but what the heck do they do whilst there?

The coaches need to get serious about the ten minutes free NRL advertisement time they get after the game. It is not a time to save your job. It is a time to try to convince Australia that rugby league is not a dead shit thugs game. Try to make some interesting points about the game. Introduce a new concept that has the media walking away thinking what the f**k was he talking about. ETC.

I'd rather a coach run through his grocery list than whinge about the refereeing for the 5 millionth time.

Agree completely.

Perth Red is your typical Englishman - leaves their shit country for greener pastures then tells the locals how they're doing things wrong.

Deep down he probably doesn't want a team over there cos then he'd have to find something new to whinge about.

The pastures in England are probably greener on average tbh.

I was under the impression that we enjoyed free speech in this country. Maybe just for some.

Walk up to your nearest police officer and drop a few profanities on them. You'll find out quick smart it is a criminal offence in many states to swear in public and you will most likely get arrested. "Free speech" does not necessarily mean you get to say anything at any time in public which pops into your head. Society often sets laws as to what is considered acceptable, and what isn't.

Generalzod

Immortal
Walk up to your nearest police officer and drop a few profanities on them. You'll find out quick smart it is a criminal offence in many states to swear in public and you will most likely get arrested. "Free speech" does not necessarily mean you get to say anything at any time in public which pops into your head. Society often sets laws as to what is considered acceptable, and what isn't.
Hang on free speech isn't about using profanities, It's about expressing your point of view in an arguemnet or debate..If I go up to Police man and tell him to get whatever that's just being an idiot.

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
Who f**king cares what they say

The club owners? Whoever wants the possibility of an extra few thousand at the game next weekend? Instead of answering the dumb questions maybe try to stir some passion about next weekends game. Like if we are playing Cronulla tell the media how much you hate Flanagan and you plan to bash him after the game. Or how you are going to wedgie Gallen at half time and then laugh as he chases you around the sidelines to Benny Hill music.
As CEO I would be saying to my coach go do this press conference in a way that is going to have every fan wanting to watch next weeks press conference. Make the news without sounding like a jerk. Wear a pimp outfit. Just don't waste 10 minutes worth of free advertising time. See if you can talk about the game for 20 minutes as if you have a passion for the game.

Surely

Post Whore
The club owners? Whoever wants the possibility of an extra few thousand at the game next weekend? Instead of answering the dumb questions maybe try to stir some passion about next weekends game. Like if we are playing Cronulla tell the media how much you hate Flanagan and you plan to bash him after the game. Or how you are going to wedgie Gallen at half time and then laugh as he chases you around the sidelines to Benny Hill music.
As CEO I would be saying to my coach go do this press conference in a way that is going to have every fan wanting to watch next weeks press conference. Make the news without sounding like a jerk. Wear a pimp outfit. Just don't waste 10 minutes worth of free advertising time. See if you can talk about the game for 20 minutes as if you have a passion for the game.

So more fur coats gold teeth and Cadillacs?