What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks fans punting thread

Morpheus

Juniors
He ran 3rd paying a healthy $2,20 the place, a place parlay on cahill for the day is starting to look really nice and tasty.

Morpheus

Juniors
Gee Whiz !

Honours to Mat Cahill today at Dubbo. an impressive book of results for him and a good result for his followers :-

race 1
Won on "nothin like fame"

paid $6.40 the win and $1.80 the place

race 2
ran 3rd. No third divvy

race 3 missed out in speedy angels race.

race 4
missed out altogether

race 5
Won on magic puzzle
paid $1.60 the win and $1.04 the place

race 6
won on Gold Chief
Paid $ 4.20 and $1.70 the place

race 7
ran third paying $2.2o the place

race 8
won paying $1,60 and $1,10

It is worth following this boy as days like this will see him get more and more of the good rides as trainers find trust in his performances.

Macca

Coach
Disappointed.

Speedy has only recently changed trainers and owners. This is his first run in our stable.

Pulled up fine. Graham (trainer) was a little disappointed but had belayed my hopes prior to the race anyway. She definatley needed that run after a long spell.

The jockey told me his foot came out of the iron just after they jumped and that is why she lacked speed early. He also said he copped alot of interference and nearly came off a couple of times. I don't know if he'll get another ride on her.

I am not in the west, I only own 25% of her. I live in Caringbah.

The next race we will nominate for her will be on Australia Day at Wellington. I think she will come up ok after that run today. Time will tell.

Atleast I have taken my first step into the racing game now.

Foz

Bench
I backed the horse McSharkie but I wouldnt be too disappointed with the run.(apart from losing the cash)
To me it was a bit slow at the start (reasons you outlined) and was basically cut out of the race. If your not with them over a short course at Dubbo you can normally kiss your money goodbye.
Didnt lose any ground in the run home so when you sit down and think about it the run wasnt too bad.(also first up).
Worth following and hopefully it can get up at odds one day.
Lost a lot more at the dogs last night so I'm hoping for a few winners tonight/tomorrow.

Morpheus

Juniors
I agree with what foz has to say and am happy you have chosen one of the races I suggested, that race in wellington is an easy class of race and second up should be a good chance of a place perhaps.

there are always plusses to nay bad run mate, and that is the added price we shall all recieve when she jumps next start, the only downer being that wellington on Australia day is a TAB meeting, so it wil not be on the TV and will not be able to bet on it on the TAB, on course bookies only.

Morpheus

Juniors
You must be buggered Mc Sharkie, how long did the drive take to Dubbo yesterday and back ? It's a long hike to watch your horse race ! a tragic like myself by the sounds of it !

Morpheus

Juniors
I think also in hindsight , as you say, my opinion of the jockey pre-race was pretty spot on, he looked uncomfortable and should have put her in a more forward position. Looking again at the head on on the tape last night, she moved laterally a good deal after jumping and he never seemed balanced from then on. Muppet !

Condo is a lovely part of the world McSharkie, did you live there before moving to the shire ?

I guess the question everyone wants to know is, do you know that young Shannon chap who was on the TV talent show ?

I am always interested in how one chooses to place their horses and how one becomes an owner, Mine came about because I was mates with a trainer or two and they got me into owenership.

what got you into racing, and why did you choose to place your horse way out west with a Condobolin Trainer when you live in carinbah ?

Sometimes it's best to send hroses away, but I prefer them to be a bit closer to allow me to easily see them race.

fizman

Bench
Foz old Mate, A personal question, Are you a professional punter??? If you are, I am not worthy!!!! I would love to know your strategies, particularly with the yappers!!

I have tried to create a winning system for the dogs, but the simple fact is THERE IS NONE!!! I tried sticking to 1 and 8, favourites, times and anything other formula my brain could come up with all to no avail.

I have found that my best strategy is to stick to dogs and only put on place bets. I generally find that I have more wins than losses and thus usually come out in front. I had a goal to win $50 a day and that was going really well until I had some brain explosions, so now I am sticking to $20 a day and haven't looked back since!!!

Morpheus

Juniors
On the dogs ? mate, I cannot pick them at all.

I finkd sticking to mid week gallops in provincial and country NSW and QLD serves me nicely, Place betting aswell only.

fizman

Bench
Mate, I like the dogs mainly because there is a maximum of 8 starters. I get a bit shaky when there are 10 - 14 or so starters with the Gallops. I guess its just a statistical thing for me. 3/8 is better than 3/10-14!!!

The other thing too is that all of my investing is done on the net, and I don't watch or listen to the races. I only wait for the result to come through!!

Foz

Bench
I'm not a professional punter on my tax return fiz but if the tax department checked my turnover they might class me as one. (lol)
I would be slightly in front on the punt in the last 12 months but bet in too many races to make a living out of it. I'm still hoping for that big collect though.
Do the form on a computer program and allow for betting fluctuations etc. Get a rating on every horse in every race so you get to know a bit about them.
I do follow the races very closely (watch nearly all meetings) but bet on numbers with the dogs. I have jagged some good divs with numbers on the dogs so who needs form?
Late at night races are my favourite when small pools can pay good divs.
I've been thinking of taking trifectas of 1 with the field at certain tracks.($21 for a 50cent unit). I'm watching for a few weeks to see how it works out.

Morpheus

Juniors
Sounds interesting Fpz, did you watch any of todays meetings ? One run stood out for me, port macquarie race two, kentucky image, won well, did you see the race and what is your opinion of the horse ? only a class one 1800 race, nothing fancy, but would appreciate your view on the horse if you saw the run.

I here you with the large fields Fiz, I should have said that 8 horse race fields are the ones I like to back to.

I guess punting is a sport/hobby to me, and you guys too, to its hard not to have a little wager on each race. however I were to do it professionally, then yes, country and privincials ( staying away from Kembla grange and newcastle though) in NSW and QLD, only place betting and only 8 horse fields in the gallps would be my bets , however I would also bet in 5 horse fields that pay 1st and 2nd, these place divvys usually are really generous ( how many times have you seen a winner in a small field pay $3.30 the win $2.20 the place ? ).

Foz

Bench
I saw most of the races morph but actually listened to the race you mentioned in the car.(did the right thing and took the kids to Macdonalds for a play with their cousins).
Sounded like the pace was right on in that race and Graham rode a pretty good race and had it won at the 200m. Caller said it won by 5 or 6 lengths so must have been impressive. Top weight and outside barrier so it had some on them.
I think the caller mentioned one of the horses lost an iron.I dont know when this happened but it might explain the pace being right on.
You'd think it would win again. The handicapper wouldn't have missed him thats for sure.

Morpheus

Juniors
I agree mate,

some of the things that caused me to take an interest in that run by Kentucky image are : ( and one needs to be, like you, a fan of the sport and a fan of the punt to see "interesting" facets in these things )

Peter Grahams ride, he rode 4 winners at Taree before christmas in one meet, and has shown up at long odds often since then. I believe he is now the best jock to follow in that region, ousting robert thompson who, in my opinion has been one of our best horsemen and most under rated hoops for a long time.

Robert is a taree boy, but everyone is superceeded over time and it seems to be that Graham now has the pick of the rides and has a very good eye for the form lines that will put him on a winner ( or he has a good manager that is choosing his rides carefully) .

Robert thompson rode this horse, Kentucky image 3 starts back at Taree and ran 5th as second favorite over a mile. The horse as always going to need extra ground but Bobby got off the ride and it has won now very well. Again a pointer to graham getting riding preference.

The run at taree when this horse ran 5th was solid but he was absolutely flogged by the winner, a horse called WILLISING, now, here is the punchline mate, we have talked about willising before on our punting club section here. It won over that mile at taree going away from them, and now kentucky image has won by 6 lengths class 1 1800mtres. Schloss ran second and novocastian 3rd , all beating kentucky image very easily that day.

I think the form line is one of watch on all 3 of those horses, but most impressively Willising, who I think would be a big chance at odds should he come to town anytime soon.

Foz

Bench
I thought you were going to get around to Willising Morph. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Did watch the replay of Kentucky image and caller described the race pretty well.
Over the last 12 months Graham has been the leading jockey at Port. From memory I think he was 21 wins from 121 rides over the past 12 months(till Friday). Thommo was on 12 I think. Dont hold me to that as Im going on memory from something I read in the form guide.
On a lighter note (my wallet) I backed the first 6 winners in Melbourne yesterday for the punters club. No fancy odds but I was pretty happy with myself.
Had Zazzman in the 7th which started odds on and another guy in the punters backed Si Senor in the last and the thing that ran 2nd(Fonome?)in the 7th. (no collect though).
Still cant work it out but I lost on the day. Punters club went ok but.

Morpheus

Juniors
Well done FOz, that is great punting in anyones language,and to do it at melb where I am hopeless only heightens my admiration !

ON another note, did you see the first 4 results from the magic millions meeting on Saturday ?? incredible prices paid indeed on all races !

Skitz

Juniors
Here ya's go:
Brisbanne-6.5(vs adl $1.85)/Fulham/Liverpool/New England 1-6/Philadelphia 7-12.....$5 on & i only need the last leg for over $650!!!!

Foz

Bench
Good going Skitz. I've got to be honest and hope your wrong with New England though.
I think whoever wins that game will win the Superbowl.
I've got $10 about the Titans to win the superbowl and $3 to win tomorrow.
Thats my heart talking but not my head.
Just read the Titans got rolled 17-14.
Whats doing there.I thought it was tomorrow.I've done my money cold.
O well go Skitz.

fizman

Bench
Foz, It was a slow painful death Mate. We were in it, but we were never in it if you know what I mean.

I don't think we would have won the big dance anyway, we have alot of injuries to key players, the boys stood up weel, but not well enough on the day. New England haven't been beaten at home this year, so they are good.

The conditions they played in were unbelievable!!! The temp was 0 with a wind chill factor of -12!!!!!!!!!!

Ah well, theres always next year.

Macca

Coach
Morpheus said:
I think also in hindsight , as you say, my opinion of the jockey pre-race was pretty spot on, he looked uncomfortable and should have put her in a more forward position. Looking again at the head on on the tape last night, she moved laterally a good deal after jumping and he never seemed balanced from then on. Muppet !

Condo is a lovely part of the world McSharkie, did you live there before moving to the shire ?

I guess the question everyone wants to know is, do you know that young Shannon chap who was on the TV talent show ?

I am always interested in how one chooses to place their horses and how one becomes an owner, Mine came about because I was mates with a trainer or two and they got me into owenership.

what got you into racing, and why did you choose to place your horse way out west with a Condobolin Trainer when you live in carinbah ?

Sometimes it's best to send hroses away, but I prefer them to be a bit closer to allow me to easily see them race.

The other 2 owners and the trainer are from Condo. I have been good mates with one of them for a few years and after serving with him in the Gulf early last year he asked my if I wanted a share in a horse, so I jumped on it. Didn't know much about the horse, just went on trust. I think she will come good after a few more runs.

What got me into racing? Punting from an early age. Another mate of mine and I used to trot of to the TAB when I was about 14 and have $1 bets with our pocket money. Loved it ever since. I don't know how the guy at the TAB let us get bets on. :D

It was a long trip but I wasn't rostered on as a Driver this time and I had an Eski full of VB to keep me company. :oops: