What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks Fans Views...It'll Make your Blood Boil

Are the Sharks Scum

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Benny

First Grade
from leagueunlimited.com

Sharks vs Dragons: Debunking some of the myths
Written by: Michael Garbutt
04/28/04 Views: 33

Leading into this week’s Cronulla vs St George Illawarra game, as part of an ongoing preview, I thought it would be best to look at and debunk some of the myths surrounding the St George Illawarra Dragons, when compared to their rivals. After some research, here is what I found out.

Myth: St George Illawarra has a history which dates back to 1921.

Truth: All official NRL records and statistics indicate that the joint venture came into existence in 1999, as a 50/50 merge between the St George and Illawarra clubs. While the St George club, which dates back to 1921, remains in existence in the junior grades and as a 50% stakeholder in the St George Illawarra club, it no longer holds a position in the First Grade. As a result of this, St George Illawarra has zero premierships against its name, despite what some vocal Dragons’ supporters may insist. This is confirmed by the NRL’s official information handbook, the 2003 Media Guide.

Myth: St George Illawarra has been the better team.

Truth: Since 1999, the Dragons have played 132 games, winning 64 of them. This equates to a winning percentage of just under half – 48.49%. In comparison, Cronulla have competed 133 games, winning 73 of them. This is a winning percentage of 54.89%. From this, it is clear that Cronulla have been the better performing team since St George Illawarra arrived on the scene.

Myth: St George Illawarra is the dominant of the two clubs.

Truth: Since St George Illawarra’s inception, the two clubs have played twelve matches. From that twelve, Cronulla have won 8, St George Illawarra 3 and there has been a single draw. The Sharks have won 67% compared to the Dragons’ measly 25%. Furthermore, in matches played between the two clubs, Cronulla have scored 281 points, while St George Illawarra have managed only 229. Therefore, we can conclude that Cronulla are in fact the dominant club.

Myth: St George Illawarra sticks to their famous jersey, while Cronulla appear to change every other year.

Truth: Since St George Illawarra’s inception, both clubs have used different jerseys. Cronulla have worn five jerseys: the Pepsi jersey, the shark fin jersey, the current gills design, the 2002 commemorative jersey and the current white away strip. In the same period of time, the Dragons have worn six different jerseys: the red vee, the Where’s Wally away jersey, the Steelers commemorative strip and three ANZAC day limited edition jerseys. Whereas the Dragons red vee jersey has been a mainstay throughout the period, Dragons administration has used special edition jerseys to suck money out of fans that otherwise wouldn’t be purchasing new merchandise. We can conclude that Cronulla has, in fact, used fewer jerseys in the same period of time.

Myth: St George Illawarra is a more heavily supported team.

Truth: Since 1999, Cronulla has had better crowd attendances in every year except for 2003. Aggregate crowd figures put Cronulla a long way in front – not including 2004, Cronulla’s total aggregate for this period is 821 388. This is compared to St George Illawarra’s total of 731 666 – almost 90 000 in favour of Cronulla. Therefore, it is easy to conclude that Cronulla are the more heavily supported team.

Myth: St George fans fought Illawarra fans at the corresponding game Sharks vs Dragons game last season.

Truth: Unfortunately for Dragons fans, this one is the truth, and indicative of the rabble that the joint venture is. As the team fell behind on the scoreboard, tempers flared, and punches were thrown. A united club? Far from it.

I put this little post in the Sharks section - get in there and have some fun!

I was reading the garbage written by some dickhead called Garbett on League Unlimited and i thought i would add a few new things:

St George Illawarra is a continuation of St George and if you look at our history books it dates back to 1921 and we are in the process of having this confirmed by the NRL

Since you broke away from us to have no success we sh*t all over you on how many games we have won - so you have the wood on us in the last few years so what - it was 1-1 last year and its about to be 1-0 to us after this weekend.

Our Red V has been our jersey since the 1940's and is a mainstay and bringing in 1 off commemorative jersey just shows what a f***wit you in fact are

As for crowd support its common knowledge that we only announce the crowd figure as paying customers, not everyone who gets in on freebies. Also when the study was done a few years back St George was the number 1 supported team in NSW. We are well supported throughout Australia not just in the Shire like you guys - last year we had the highest attendances at away games than any other club - f**k we have a Supporters Club in Germany

Your club is so scum it went broke not once but twice and both times the NSWRL and ARL bailed you out so you could survive and you repay them by joining Stupid League - nice touch that

You have a ground built on a swamp, overhead wires in the middle of your hill - no wondered its called scum park

Whats the definition of stupid - Sharks having a trophy cabinet :lol:

Saint 60

Juniors
lol -- u know that concerns me a bit...

if one of the writters on this forum actually thinks that, what chance have we got of getting any real or truthful news outa that bloke concerning St George....

ive only been a member of these boards for a while but i find that distasteful that he has put that one sided trash on the front of these forums and whats worse it has stayed there for some time....if ppl from overseas England and so forth read that on a site where we Saints are represented (like this)

ummm i got no say in it but it looks like a total we (Sharks) own this forum and saints can piss right off --- hmmm maybe i should look for another forum (is that the way to think) >? do they run this show....? i notice that shark den emblem on the top right of most pages also...?
it just looks so one-sided that im standing in the Cronulla Leagues club...? #-o

Anonymous

Juniors
lol. The opinion of the writer in this case may be without credibility and will no doubt suffer under scrutiny. But it is an opinion after all and that's something we are all in for.

It wasn't that long ago that stoopid Sharks supporters were bleating because a Saints supporter did a live update when the Sharks rabble were playing.

Ribs

Bench
I wouldnt get too worked up about that crap benny. The simple fact that this dweebo has gone to so much trouble screams an inferiority complex which everyone knows these guys have and will, unfortunately, always have.

Its like fighting a midget, its entertaining and you cant lose.

I mean c'mon:

1) These guys sledge us about having two home grounds but both of these two dont smell like rotting vegetation and neither has the buzz of overhead wires to contend with.

2) They go on about our history only going back to 1999 yet their hatred of our club is the purest evidence there is that we are still and always have been the mighty St George Dragons.

3) Now they hassle us about jumpers.... for f*cks sake thats the biggest joke of all time. They change jumpers more than Mimi McPhereson changes fingers. Our jumper is the most famous in the world of rugby league and all they are doing is hassling us for commemorating ANZAC day. Nice.

4) They hassled us about the 70 - 10 flogging. They have since made that a walk in the park. 74 - 4 wasnt it? :lol: :lol:

5) The hassled the slapping incident. Apparently it was a bad look for the game. Say hello to Greg Bird. :lol: :lol:

6) They kicked out John Lang and punted Preston Campbell to eliminate the losing culture at the club. They go on to win a premiership while the sharks do nothing. :lol: :lol:

7) Their super coach, Chris Anderson, ends up fired and threatens legal action. Stopping only after finding out they have no money anyway. :lol: :lol:

8) Last but not least. Their team this year is utterly useless.......

The poor f*cking midget :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jimbo

Immortal
Ribs said:
I wouldnt get too worked up about that crap benny. The simple fact that this dweebo has gone to so much trouble screams an inferiority complex which everyone knows these guys have and will, unfortunately, always have.

Ribs then said:
1) These guys sledge us about having two home grounds but both of these two dont smell like rotting vegetation and neither has the buzz of overhead wires to contend with.

2) They go on about our history only going back to 1999 yet their hatred of our club is the purest evidence there is that we are still and always have been the mighty St George Dragons.

3) Now they hassle us about jumpers.... for f*cks sake thats the biggest joke of all time. They change jumpers more than Mimi McPhereson changes fingers. Our jumper is the most famous in the world of rugby league and all they are doing is hassling us for commemorating ANZAC day. Nice.

4) They hassled us about the 70 - 10 flogging. They have since made that a walk in the park. 74 - 4 wasnt it? :lol: :lol:

5) The hassled the slapping incident. Apparently it was a bad look for the game. Say hello to Greg Bird. :lol: :lol:

6) They kicked out John Lang and punted Preston Campbell to eliminate the losing culture at the club. They go on to win a premiership while the sharks do nothing. :lol: :lol:

7) Their super coach, Chris Anderson, ends up fired and threatens legal action. Stopping only after finding out they have no money anyway. :lol: :lol:

8) Last but not least. Their team this year is utterly useless.......

The poor f*cking midget :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, the irony...

:lol:

millersnose

Post Whore
Willow said:
It wasn't that long ago that stoopid Sharks supporters were bleating because a Saints supporter did a live update when the Sharks rabble were playing.

not just any saints supporter but REX HUNT!!!

there is a big difference

Southernsaint

Staff member
millersnose said:
Willow said:

not just any saints supporter but REX HUNT!!!

there is a big difference

Have a whinge, why don't you.

Just because he OWNS you in Four Corners :lol:

Cheers,
Ben S.

millersnose

Post Whore
ha

the jealousy just oooozes out here

and double ha willow

i notice someone has lapped you in post counts

(this is a vitally important issue)

cussy

Juniors
FACT-"The sharks have spent half trhere existance staving off bankruptsy" J.Lang, Deadset ledgend , 2004.
FACT The sharks have no history,heart or culture.
FACT They have tried to manufacture a culture by putting forward some "immortals" which wouldn't rate a mention in any other league team
FACT they are going to pay a million samolians to Mr Anderson for the privilage of being butt F...ked by his winning culture.
FACT They have one zip, zilch, nada, nothing for almost forty years.
FACT They seem to think and are happy just by beating us instead of looking at the big picture and aiming to maybe one day making a GF.
FACT They are insanley jealous of their neighbours wealth and success of the years.
FACT They suck

Ribs

Bench
Im starting to come to terms with the lack of education in the Shire.

Jimbo, be a man and go past the one line comment. Explain the irony.

Red Bear

Referee
I voed yes cos i dont like cronulla but The first point is true i would say. St George Illawarra arent St George. Apart from that seamss like bulshit...

Jimbo

Immortal
Jeez, this is almost like talking to Willow :roll:

The irony is that you have accused Garbs of being obsessed about St George Illawarra Limited due to the effort he put into his article, then you post a 2,000 word essay about us!!

Maybe hypocrisy was a better word?

Southernsaint

Staff member
Jimbo said:
Jeez, this is almost like talking to Willow :roll:

The irony is that you have accused Garbs of being obsessed about St George Illawarra Limited due to the effort he put into his article, then you post a 2,000 word essay about us!!

Maybe hypocrisy was a better word?

Nah Jimbo, Hypocrisy would be grovelling to the NSWRL / ARL for a life-line, signing a loyalty agreement & then buggering off to Stupor League.

Irony, on the other hand, would be having The Scum marketing department come up with some "Sharks Immortals", none of whom tasted even a sliver of the success that the genuine Imortals tasted.

Cheers,
Ben S.

Anonymous

Juniors

Well the article aimed to stir things up, and after reading comments on this site and on the MSN site, I've obviously succeeded.

A note to Willow: Everything posted in that article is fact, there's not a piece of opinion at all! ;-)

Anyway, I'm glad I entertained you all so much.

Southernsaint

Staff member
El Garbo said:

Well the article aimed to stir things up, and after reading comments on this site and on the MSN site, I've obviously succeeded.

A note to Willow: Everything posted in that article is fact, there's not a piece of opinion at all! ;-)

El Garbo, if you've been reading the feedback on the MSN site, then you'd realise that your "facts" have been challenged...

Cheers,
Ben S.

Godz Illa

Coach
Are those Cronulla troglodytes whining about something or other again? You'd think the losingest team in history would have enough on their plate. But, I guess thats the way of the sporting world. The poor, pathetically struggling minnows always snipe at the prosperous, successful big brother. The Mets do it to the Yankees, the Clippers do it to the Lakers, Man Utd cop it from Man City. We Saints fans must do as the fans of our successful sister clubs have done. Sit back and pity those wretched Cronulla fools, and say 'There but for the grace of God go I'

Anonymous

Juniors
El Garbo said:

All part of the carnival Garbo. Can't wait till next year's instalment.

Latest posts