What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks V Rabbits Game Day

wibble

Bench
Bird is an enigma. He has strength, power, speed, enthusiasm, courage and oodles of confidence, which make him a great "big match" player. But he has virtually no footy smarts and can't read the game all that well.

So at 5/8 he gets his hands on the ball and runs hard, and is very dangerous, but doesn't provide kicking, passing or game management. At centre he can easily beat his opponent one on one and can create something from nothing, but he doesn't get as involved and can stifle a backline movement. At full back he has power and makes heaps of metres, but can't read a kick or be in the right place in the defensive line. At hooker he gives quick darts that snatch momentum, and can power over from close range, but he doesn't give good service.

I still think he is a floating lock, as long as you don't make him do too much tackling, where he can just contribute around the middle or the edges as he sees fit, without being too involved in the structures.

But he is an important player for us for the rest of this year. Maybe being with a different group and with Bennett will smarten his play and he'll come back to us as the next Fittler....

On the usual rewatch again I thought we were better than I gave us credit for on first viewing. Again we butchered 3 try scoring plays and had a number of other good opportunities.

We were much better in the first half than Souths and they were a bit lucky to only be down by 8, and Burgess virtually single handedly kept them in it in the second half, until Townsend and Maloney took absolute control in the last 10 minutes. That was the best part of the game, the control from our halves at the end (with great support from the forwards).

The outside backs were outstanding all game, all of them contributed pretty evenly to great metres and defense, and diffusing of the very dangerous play of Reynolds. The forwards took some time to warm up and Townsend and Maloney were handy but didn't really stamp themselves on the game until the end. An incomplete but decent game.

Liberate Souths

Juniors
Bird is an enigma. He has strength, power, speed, enthusiasm, courage and oodles of confidence, which make him a great "big match" player. But he has virtually no footy smarts and can't read the game all that well.

So at 5/8 he gets his hands on the ball and runs hard, and is very dangerous, but doesn't provide kicking, passing or game management. At centre he can easily beat his opponent one on one and can create something from nothing, but he doesn't get as involved and can stifle a backline movement. At full back he has power and makes heaps of metres, but can't read a kick or be in the right place in the defensive line. At hooker he gives quick darts that snatch momentum, and can power over from close range, but he doesn't give good service.

I still think he is a floating lock, as long as you don't make him do too much tackling, where he can just contribute around the middle or the edges as he sees fit, without being too involved in the structures.

But he is an important player for us for the rest of this year. Maybe being with a different group and with Bennett will smarten his play and he'll come back to us as the next Fittler....

On the usual rewatch again I thought we were better than I gave us credit for on first viewing. Again we butchered 3 try scoring plays and had a number of other good opportunities.

We were much better in the first half than Souths and they were a bit lucky to only be down by 8, and Burgess virtually single handedly kept them in it in the second half, until Townsend and Maloney took absolute control in the last 10 minutes. That was the best part of the game, the control from our halves at the end (with great support from the forwards).

The outside backs were outstanding all game, all of them contributed pretty evenly to great metres and defense, and diffusing of the very dangerous play of Reynolds. The forwards took some time to warm up and Townsend and Maloney were handy but didn't really stamp themselves on the game until the end. An incomplete but decent game.
It would be good to read something close to this on news.com.au. Outstanding, thank you. :rabbit::rabbit::rabbit::rabbit::rabbit:

Last edited:

Stake Removed

First Grade
I think Bird should be coming off bench i think he could really inject himself into the game

Bench of
Bird
Segeyaro
Bakuya
Paulo

Not biggest but versatile for sure, and could up tempo, and basically they cover all positions on the field

snout

First Grade
Bird always seems better when he doesn't play.

He has done next to nothing all year. Loots is twice the player for half the price
We scraped home by a point against the knights and the bookies were putting a line thru us going b2b.

A week later we travel to melbourne and hold the 'benchmark' tryless.

Bird prowled the field that day on a self appointed mission...to win every collision and create chaos for anyone wearing a purple jumper.
He was successful.
Even when bumped off by bigger blokes he came again and jolted balls loose.

That day l saw what a player he truly is. An uncompromising tough footballer.
A guy who played thru severe injury in a GF because he had a job to do.

To even suggest he isnt in our best 13 in the big games is sheer ignorance.

Thats exactly what he is.
A big game player.
A guy who got MOM in his debut against a star studded roosters side.
A guy motivated by a true challenge.
And theres plenty ahead from here on.

The titans and the tigers just dont do it for him. But as he matures and becomes a club leader he will understand those games are still worth the same 2 points as a storm game is.

If his manager was smarter he would realise the best guys to learn that from are the 11, 12 & 13 where he is now.
Not in Brisbane.

Jack bird may have become a club legend at the sharks if he had played his cards better.

King Ben

Juniors
Geez, the view from Beer Hill is ruined by the Channel 9 camera stationed behind the concourse.

People criticising gal for the 4th hitup plays in that game need to look at the context of those hit ups in terms of the time and score and then re-evaluate their opinion.

Bird is so much better than Capewell in the centres. To be honest I don't really know what position suits capes? Second row of he can use that step to get play the balls but his leg speed and drive is not the best.
Who the far kurnell is criticising the Captain? FMD gooses. he was outstanding. If you know anything of our game plan you would know the term "get to our points". Its exactly what Gal does.

Weaponhead

Coach
We scraped home by a point against the knights and the bookies were putting a line thru us going b2b.

A week later we travel to melbourne and hold the 'benchmark' tryless.

Bird prowled the field that day on a self appointed mission...to win every collision and create chaos for anyone wearing a purple jumper.
He was successful.
Even when bumped off by bigger blokes he came again and jolted balls loose.

That day l saw what a player he truly is. An uncompromising tough footballer.
A guy who played thru severe injury in a GF because he had a job to do.

To even suggest he isnt in our best 13 in the big games is sheer ignorance.

Thats exactly what he is.
A big game player.
A guy who got MOM in his debut against a star studded roosters side.
A guy motivated by a true challenge.
And theres plenty ahead from here on.

The titans and the tigers just dont do it for him. But as he matures and becomes a club leader he will understand those games are still worth the same 2 points as a storm game is.

If his manager was smarter he would realise the best guys to learn that from are the 11, 12 & 13 where he is now.
Not in Brisbane.

Jack bird may have become a club legend at the sharks if he had played his cards better.
Bird tries hard. Overhyped. Will fail in Brisbane.

Bird 2017 - 2 tries; 6 try assists and 3 line breaks

Loots 2027 - 6 tries, 5 try assists and 11 line breaks.

Granted Bird was good in gf playing with injury. However his overall output in no way matches the hype. I reckon the sharks dodged a bullet sinking too much cap into someone who delivers so little. He is an individualist who does not make anyone else a better player.

Last edited:

Card Shark

Immortal
Who the far kurnell is criticising the Captain? FMD gooses. he was outstanding.

Me.

I'm an avid fan of what he does (bullocking runs, dragging 3 & 4 guys with him) but there is a time & a place.

20m out on on the 2nd last tackle is not that time.

The defence is always set by the time he plays it & invariably on top of us as he makes it over the 10m line.

Makes our 5th tackle play that bit harder to execute.

I'll be buggered if that's our tactics. It's just Gal being Gal, doing everything he can to help but sometimes it's misguided.

chewsta

First Grade
Agree 100% Cardy. I love Gal but inside the oppositions 20 with 2 ir 3 tackles to go, be a decoy runner Gal. No one would expect that.

Me.

I'm an avid fan of what he does (bullocking runs, dragging 3 & 4 guys with him) but there is a time & a place.

20m out on on the 2nd last tackle is not that time.

The defence is always set by the time he plays it & invariably on top of us as he makes it over the 10m line.

Makes our 5th tackle play that bit harder to execute.

I'll be buggered if that's our tactics. It's just Gal being Gal, doing everything he can to help but sometimes it's misguided.
Well it is. They have positions called points. Points to make plays from. Points to take kicks from etc etc.

Card Shark

Immortal
I don't doubt Flanno has that, he's 1 of the best at that sort of thing.

I just doubt that involves Gal taking the above mentioned hitup.

Card Shark

Immortal
No one?

We need to move the defence around a bit more on the 4th.

2 passes off the ruck perhaps & a quick play the ball.