What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sheffield Shield - NSW vs WA at SCG 5-8 March

IanG

Coach
For discussions on this match.

Seems this will be a battle for the wodden spoon. Funny that how after the Warriors were talked up at the start of the season as the best WA side ever. That plus the Blues have gone from Champions to near wooden spooners. Injuries and International duties seem to have contributed.

Still will have alot of pride to play for.

aussies1st

Staff member
Give the youngsters a go!
I would go
Khawaja
Jaques
Forrest
Rohrer
Steven Smith
Henriques or Warner can't be bothered with Thornely
Daniel Smith
O'Keefe (Casson seems to have lost all confidence)
Starc
Hazelwood
Cockley

aussies1st

Staff member
Our squad

Dominic Thornely (captain), Nathan Bracken, Beau Casson, Ed Cowan, Burt Cockley, Phil Jaques, Usman Khawaja, Greg Mail, Ben Rohrer, Daniel Smith, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc.

Did feel Forrest would be dropped. Casson looks like a lost cause for this season so I would make his 12th man. May as well see what Starc can do.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
I'm all for giving youngsters a go but what has Starc done to warrant selection? No doubt he is a talented bowler but he is ranked 87th on the list of most Grade Wickets this year. There are way more worthy quick bowlers in the Grade ranks...

IanG

Coach
No Hazelwood?

Definatly feel sorry Beau Casson. Going from Test Plyer to not getting a go in the State side in the space of 12 months is rough.

Also has David Warner been pigeon holed as player who only plays in coloured gear?

Red Bear

Referee
Hmm
SHould've stuck with henriques over mail
Open with Khawaja and give Moises number 6

Hopefully Smith gets picked.

Nice we have another bowler in Nathan Bracken available

Jaques
Mail
Cowen
Rohrer
Thornley
Khawaja
D Smith
S Smith
Bracken
Starc
Cockley

Panther Daz, i suspect grade form with younger bowlers is rarely taken into consideration, people who are involved in the system for years will get picked on potential rather than form

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Panther Daz, i suspect grade form with younger bowlers is rarely taken into consideration, people who are involved in the system for years will get picked on potential rather than form

Trent Copeland and Josh Lalor are both young quick bowlers who have taken over 40 wickets this season. How Starc is selected ahead of them is a joke really.

Both also impressed for NSW 2nd's last week.

aussies1st

Staff member
It's about being within the setup which Copeland isn't. Lalor is unlucky but I guess they see more potential in Starc. They say he can bowl really quick and he is 1.96m as a leftie.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Josh Lalor probably is the best swing bowler in Grade Cricket at the moment. That will trouble State batsmen more than Pace IMO.

Not saying Starc won't do bad, all im saying is i feel for those who have taken ALOT of wickets in the past couple of years in Grade cricket and haven't got their chance.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
He should get his chance next year hopefully. As i said in another thread due to his non-selection he is able to play in the Under 21's Semi Final against Gordon this week. He will be needed in that match and i'm sure Penrith CC are also very pleased.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
looks like McGoffin is out of the WA team, on his way to RSA to replace Hilfy apparently

aussies1st

Staff member
Should be interesting seeing how Warner goes about his inns and how he performs.