What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Short drop outs

Canard

Immortal
Great.

I don’t live in Australia, but they have televisions in New Zealand now.

But I can’t watch every game on the weekend because I have a thing called ‘a life’

You should get one too

Get back the time you've wasted posting 23,000 times on LU and you'll probably free up enough time.

Meth

Staff member
Get back the time you've wasted posting 23,000 times on LU and you'll probably free up enough time.

It doesn’t work to try to mock someone about being on LU when you’re on LU

Meth

Staff member
It does when you're not the one claiming to 'have a life"

Ok man- you got me. I post on LU as much as you, but unlike you, I don’t watch all games, every week and seldom watch the Bulldogs if they aren’t playing the Warriors.

T-Boon

Coach
I think with the line drop out, the kicking team should have the option to run it instead of drop out. If you run it you just have a two tackle set.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Probably no coincidence that it’s an NZ team doing it at the moment, given that in the other code they’ve made an art form out of retaining possession from the short kick-off using well rehearsed jumpers and tap-backs. If tryouts watch the All Blacks or NZ Super rugby teams their success rate is probably closer to 75%.

Also worth noting (ad the commentators did) that the tactical loss from a failed short kick compared to a typical long kick isnt huge- most drop outs (unless you’ve got a drop out freak like Pat Richards who can consistently go 60m) result in the first tackle occcurring inside the 30 anyway. If anything that’s a better attacking position than closer in.

Chook Norris

First Grade
Probably no coincidence that it’s an NZ team doing it at the moment, given that in the other code they’ve made an art form out of retaining possession from the short kick-off using well rehearsed jumpers and tap-backs. If tryouts watch the All Blacks or NZ Super rugby teams their success rate is probably closer to 75%.

Also worth noting (ad the commentators did) that the tactical loss from a failed short kick compared to a typical long kick isnt huge- most drop outs (unless you’ve got a drop out freak like Pat Richards who can consistently go 60m) result in the first tackle occcurring inside the 30 anyway. If anything that’s a better attacking position than closer in.

Not sure I agree with this bolded part. Over the past year or two I've seen a significant increase in kick offs going over 50 meters. Seeing a lot more start over the 40m as a result which means teams have to chew up almost the entire set getting to the right position.

So IMO, if you have someone consistently doing over 50m drop outs, it's still the best option.

Meth

Staff member
Looking st the results it seems like more of a 75/33 success rate..

Early on. If teams are prepared for it, it might be trickier.

Could end up a pretty good contest.
We put up our best jumper against yours sort of thing.

Latest posts