What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Australian soccer have boycotted the Asian Cup Final?

RoosTah

Juniors
I read this the other day and I have to say that I agree:

Where's the outrage over Saudi treatment of women?

Imagine a nation that treats a huge section of its population as little more than slaves. A nation where many are not allowed access to a full education or a professional career. Picture a place where some citizens can count themselves lucky if they are allowed to show their faces in public, let alone attend a sporting event.

Now imagine this: a football stadium in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, this Sunday. A sweltering cauldron of sound. The Western Sydney Wanderers run on to the pitch to play the second leg of the final of the Asian Champions League against Al-Hilal. Then, at the opening kick-off, the Wanderers all sit down and decline to play until Saudi Arabia agrees to recognise women as equals.

Our apologies. We'll now interrupt this broadcast and return to normal programming.

You can safely assume this Sunday's final will pass without a mention of women's rights in Saudi Arabia. There may be only one woman in the crowd of 65,000 - devout Wanderers fan Kate Durnell. And she has only been given permission to attend because she will be accompanied by her father and will wear a hijab.

Where is the anger, much less the outrage? Whatever happened to that generation in the 1970s who helped change the world? Did they all grow fat and old and decide sport was no longer a worthy weapon in the battle for human rights?

Say what you like about the 1970s. The naff idealism. The quaint notions of peace amid the threat of nuclear holocaust. At least it was a time when the world belatedly woke up to the evils of the apartheid system in South Africa and decided to do something about it. Australian sport caught up with public opinion as Sir Donald Bradman directed that a cricket tour of South Africa be cancelled.

When the Springboks arrived in 1971 for a series of Tests, more than 700 Australians were arrested for disrupting the tour.
Such was the public outcry that games were played behind barbed wire. Unions banded together, forcing the tourists to travel around the country on air force planes.

These strident public protests eventually led to a stiffening in the resolve of politicians. By the late 1970s, the world was condemning South Africa. And, little more than a decade later, the practice of measuring a person by the colour of their skin in that country was peeled away.

So where is the outcry as the Western Sydney Wanderers head to Saudi Arabia? This is a nation that has long suppressed its women. They are not allowed to drive a car. In fact women under the age of 45 require a male guardian's permission to open a bank account, to seek a job, to undergo elective surgery and even to travel. Enforcement is often swift and brutal and carried out by the Mutaween – a select group of religious police with the powers to detain Saudis and foreigners for whatever they deem "immoral".

Where's the moral outrage? Have we had to look the other way because of the diplomatic nuances required to live in a post 9/11 world? Does our reliance on the Middle East oil pipeline preclude the West from speaking out against clear and present human injustices?

Or maybe we've just lost the zeal, the passion and the desire to make the world a better place. Maybe we decided that soccer superiority beats civil rights hands down.

Garry Linnell co-presents the Breakfast show with John Stanley on 2UE
Source: http://www.smh.com.au/comment/wheres-the-outrage-over-saudi-treatment-of-women-20141029-11dijm.html

What do you guys reckon? It's a bit of an ask for a club side, but Saudi Arabia is run by f##king monster despot kleptocrats that think it's the 11th century and are far worse than the white supremacists of South Africa ever were, yet we're happy to ignore there awful attitude of gender apartheid to their own people.

It might be a bit too much to ask given the fact the yanks seem so happy to pretend they're fine, but it personally makes me feel a bit sick that we entertain the backward f**king animals by giving them a free pass on this shit.

RoosTah

Juniors
So you support the wholesale dehumanisation and degradation of half the country's population then? You're a real champ.

RoosTah

Juniors
The standard you walk by is the standard you accept mate. Looks to me like you're just another hypocrite.

Jimbo

Immortal
The standard you walk by is the standard you accept mate. Looks to me like you're just another hypocrite.

The real hypocrites are those who only complain about Islam's treatment of women when it's convenient for them

Feel free to pretend that boycotting a soccer game would make a difference though...

RoosTah

Juniors
The real hypocrites are those who only complain about Islam's treatment of women when it's convenient for them

Feel free to pretend that boycotting a soccer game would make a difference though...

I see your morals are about as deep as your grasp of the scientific method.

If you don't give a shit, then that's ok. Maybe you're a religious crank who would secretly like to live in a place like that.

Jimbo

Immortal
I see your morals are about as deep as your grasp of the scientific method.

If you don't give a shit, then that's ok. Maybe you're a religious crank who would secretly like to live in a place like that.

My position on Islam's treatment of women is both consistent and well documented

If you want to have a genuine discussion about it, 4C is probably the better forum to do so

If you just want to misrepresent my views to make yourself feel morally superior, you're going to lose my interest very quickly

RoosTah

Juniors
My position on Islam's treatment of women is both consistent and well documented

If you want to have a genuine discussion about it, 4C is probably the better forum to do so

If you just want to misrepresent my views to make yourself feel morally superior, you're going to lose my interest very quickly

You came on here and offered nothing but ridicule. Why are you even commenting? For the record I agree with repealing 4C, but what the flying f**k does that have to do with Australian Soccer turning a blind eye to the atrocities of those animals in Saudi kleptocratic extremist theocracy?

I'm not sure if you were paying attention, but my initial post was an article by Gary Linnell, and the comparisons with our attitude toward apartheid and the way we turn a blind eye to Muslim countries like Saudi Arabia (and Pakistan for that matter).

It's morally inconsistent and frankly we shouldn't feel good about it.

Jimbo

Immortal
You came on here and offered nothing but ridicule. Why are you even commenting? For the record I agree with repealing 4C, but what the flying f**k does that have to do with Australian Soccer turning a blind eye to the atrocities of those animals in Saudi kleptocratic extremist theocracy?

By '4C' I was referring to the Four Corners forum

I'm not sure if you were paying attention, but my initial post was an article by Gary Linnell, and the comparisons with our attitude toward apartheid and the way we turn a blind eye to Muslim countries like Saudi Arabia (and Pakistan for that matter).

The suggestion is ridiculous, regardless of where it came from

It's morally inconsistent and frankly we shouldn't feel good about it.

It's also morally inconsistent to be more outraged about a bloke looking at his watch, than genuine issues like FGM and girls being hanged in Afghanistan for the crime of being raped

Vocal and consistent opposition to things like that will make much more of a difference than boycotting a game of soccer

RoosTah

Juniors
It's also morally inconsistent to be more outraged about a bloke looking at his watch, than genuine issues like FGM and girls being hanged in Afghanistan for the crime of being raped

Vocal and consistent opposition to things like that will make much more of a difference than boycotting a game of soccer

I acknowledge that in the first post, but I still reckon he has a point - where is the public outrage about these f**king animals? In the 1970s hundreds of protesters interrupted South African tours, yet today when Al Hilal come here there isn't a peep.

The condemnation should be wide-ranging of all those regimes, but Linnell is right in saying we seemed more publicly vocal about this stuff in the '70s.

As for Afghanistan, well that joint is an absolute rabble and we've been in there for a while now and their government is still barely functional, so it's hard to put any sort of peer pressure on them at this stage.

Mong

Post Whore
It should be fifa's call to ban them, unreasonable to expect a club to miss the opportunity to do what they did when even the governing body, corrupt as they maybe (allegedly), are ok with it.

The Asian federation could be in a bit of a mess if countries with humanitarian issues are banned or boycotted.

And don't worry about Jimmy, roostah, whinging and complaining about posters apparently misrepresenting his point is pretty much all he does..

BunniesMan

Immortal
Firstly, OP isn't even a football fan. He admits that himself.

Secondly a boycott would achieve nothing. Saudi Arabia is not South Africa. Unlike South Africa, Saudi Arabia is actually an important country. The US and Europe will not do shit to them. Our boycotts of South Africa only worked because the rest of the world went with us. The rest of the world will not go with us on Saudi Arabia.

If Saudi Arabia wants to they can implode the world economy with their control of oil.

Funnily enough dickhead right wingers who wants us to boycott the Saudis also don't want us moving off fossil fuels.

Lambretta

First Grade
Good luck with your campaing to change the mind of Islamic fundamentalists.

I give you twenty millenia to achieve that

The more you ask them to change, the less inclined they will be to do so
Change in the Arab World has to come from within the Arab World. Any influence from without is doomed to fail.

Dude, they would love it if WSW sit down and do f**k all, they will go and run around and score goals as if its a real game and will celebrate just as hard when they win. Middle Eastern nations don't give a f**k how they win.

Bazzi

First Grade
Dude, they would love it if WSW sit down and do f**k all, they will go and run around and score goals as if its a real game and will celebrate just as hard when they win. Middle Eastern nations don't give a f**k how they win.

How the f**k did you come to that conclusion?

Having watched Asian football over the last however long Australia has been involved. They will use any tactic available to them to win.

RoosTah

Juniors
Good luck with your campaing to change the mind of Islamic fundamentalists.

I give you twenty millenia to achieve that

The more you ask them to change, the less inclined they will be to do so
Change in the Arab World has to come from within the Arab World. Any influence from without is doomed to fail.

That's probably true. But the region is an utter rabble and frankly it's just incredibly backward on the whole... yes, the west has meddled an awful lot in there, but I to a large extent they only have themselves to blame for their weakness and incompetence as a region - they let their extremist theocratic ideology destroy any scientific progress they were making back in the 12th and 13th with the rise of the anti-philosophical Ash?arism school among Sunni Muslims, who comprise the vast majority of the Muslim world. The Turks made some positive moves and are an interesting country, but even they have now started to descend into a more theocratic state more resembling the country's backward eastern regions than it's more advanced Western side.

The result is a basket case of a region that is looked on by the rest of the world as a backwater of intolerance and stupidity. Even "important" states like Saudi Arabia have done nothing more than enrich one family on the back of the most important and valuable commodity in human history, and will disintegrate over-night when they run out of the stuff. Their economy has nothing else going for it and their already astronomically high unemployment for young men will turn the place into another rabble when it happens.

I just think with that in mind we ought not to be entertaining them...