What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should NRL expansion just be about TV $'s?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Whilst I understand the need for expansion to add to the pot, not take more out of it, it seems that the only reason ever put forward for expansion is to get more TV content and thus more contract money. Is this all expansion is about? Surely at some stage the game of Rugby League wants to become more popular than it is now and grow itself as a game?

This seems to never get mentioned as a reason for expansion. The old adage you need to invest to reap greater gains seems to a be a missed point in the game of RL. Probably why after more than a hundred years it is still a minor sport played in a couple of pockets in the world.

Interestingly, during the broadcast discussions there has been no talk of expansion or extra time slots that would become available from including a second New Zealand team, a Perth club or a second Brisbane side.
That’s not to say expansion won’t happen. There will be special clauses in the new deal concerning the possibility of more content should new teams enter the competition.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...orm-rugby-league/story-fnp0lyn3-1227468567930

Of the clubs that joined RL since 1995 - Cowboys, Warriors, Crushers, Reds, Rams, Mariners, Storm, Titans - how many of them have been a success?

Half have died and for much of their existence, you'd have to say the Cowboys and Titans offered little, though the Cowboys have persevered. The Warriors are perennial underachievers and a powerhouse in the waiting for mine. The Storm were only ever about getting TV eyeballs / advertisers in Melbourne.

So really, if it's not about TV, what is it about?

adamkungl

Immortal
TV $ takes too much of the focus for decision making.

the NRL has enough cash to start calling at least some of the shots without bending over to channel 9. Buuut they wont

applesauce

Bench
Of the clubs that joined RL since 1995 - Cowboys, Warriors, Crushers, Reds, Rams, Mariners, Storm, Titans - how many of them have been a success?

Half have died and for much of their existence, you'd have to say the Cowboys and Titans offered little, though the Cowboys have persevered. The Warriors are perennial underachievers and a powerhouse in the waiting for mine. The Storm were only ever about getting TV eyeballs / advertisers in Melbourne.

You answered your own question.

Juniors, Fans, More Players and yes TV Money.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I have said this before, but expansion into new/non traditional areas for any code is tough...

The AFL is preparared to pump in hundreds of millions into Sydney and Brisbane, compromise the integrity of their competition with increased salary cap, draft options and easier schedules for the expansion teams to ensure they are always competitive, and 30 years later the results have proven to be mixed with TV audiences declining off modest bases...

I am a supporter of the expansion, but it's no wonder the NRL are conservative given their own and AFL experiences..

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Definitely tough, and that's why TV money is such a large consideration, because the fu de have to come from somewhere.

Beyond that though, certainly things like sponsorship, commercial opportunities, player/junior growth etc are all things that are taken into consideration.

None of those things matter though if the money isn't there to fund the expansion to begin with.

LeagueXIII

First Grade

I would say expansion has been a success.

The Cowboys and Warriors have been in 3 grand finals between them.

The Storm has taken rugby league from zero in Melbourne to the highest exposure rugby league has ever had in Melbourne. Particularly in under 25 year olds who don't carry the prejudices of older generation to rugby league.

The Mariners and Rams would never have started up other than to fill the numbers for Super League so were always doomed and badly planned.

The Titans have been the most successful RL team to play up on the coast in a tough market.

The Reds and Crushers would still be around had it not been for SL.

Remember a lot of the momentum of these clubs was stopped in it's tracks once super league started causing enormous damage.

I would say expansion has been a success.

The Cowboys and Warriors have been in 3 grand finals between them.

The Storm has taken rugby league from zero in Melbourne to the highest exposure rugby league has ever had in Melbourne. Particularly in under 25 year olds who don't carry the prejudices of older generation to rugby league.

The Mariners and Rams would never have started up other than to fill the numbers for Super League so were always doomed and badly planned.

The Titans have been the most successful RL team to play up on the coast in a tough market.

The Reds and Crushers would still be around had it not been for SL.

Remember a lot of the momentum of these clubs was stopped in it's tracks once super league started causing enormous damage.

I have re-read what I originally wrote - which comes across not at all how I wanted it to sound. Very clumsy writing and even I disagree with myself reading it now.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They say afl gets more money due to having nine games to sell yet nrl says it needs TV to agree to pay for it. NRL needs to get on the front foot and dictate what it wants like the afl do.

taipan

Referee
They say afl gets more money due to having nine games to sell yet nrl says it needs TV to agree to pay for it. NRL needs to get on the front foot and dictate what it wants like the afl do.

You tell em PR.The ARLC needs a forward thinker like you.:sarcasm:

I would think that the length of an AFL game, plus the fact they get to show a commercial on FTA every time a goal is scored, plays a big part in them getting more money.
I wonder if "they" say that as well....

elbusto

Coach
I would think that the length of an AFL game, plus the fact they get to show a commercial on FTA every time a goal is scored, plays a big part in them getting more money.
the advertisements are thr best bit. The game is garbage

Perth Red

Post Whore

So why did they get more from fox? No ads involved and smaller viewership per game.

j5o6hn

Juniors
Look who gives the orders at Foxtel its Murdoch, that,s why they got more because RL kicked em fair in the balls and they dont like it one bit,they gypped RL of millions under the Gallop regime

Perth Red

Post Whore
Smith confirmed there was flexibility in the new TV deal starting in 2018 to include new sides.
“We have built in capacity in the next rights deal for one or two additional teams if we think that is the right decision at the time,” Smith said.

“Naturally we would have to consider every aspect of expansion, including financial structure and the impact on the rest of the competition — in addition to the likely boost in crowd figures.
“But we want to make the competition even stronger, we want to draw bigger crowds and these are the type of issues we will consider during any discussions on expansion.”

http://www.news.com.au/national/que...eams-in-brisbane/story-fnii5v6w-1227527714134

alien

Referee
Smith confirmed there was flexibility in the new TV deal starting in 2018 to include new sides.
“We have built in capacity in the next rights deal for one or two additional teams if we think that is the right decision at the time,” Smith said.

“Naturally we would have to consider every aspect of expansion, including financial structure and the impact on the rest of the competition — in addition to the likely boost in crowd figures.
“But we want to make the competition even stronger, we want to draw bigger crowds and these are the type of issues we will consider during any discussions on expansion.”

http://www.news.com.au/national/que...eams-in-brisbane/story-fnii5v6w-1227527714134

i think they would be insane not to bring in 2 more teams in 2018. there should be a second brisbane team (brisbane bombers) and i think they made a mistake not allowing the bears back into the comp (based in gosford) when the northern eagles folded. i would have those 2 clubs (central coast bears and brisbane bombers) in the nrl starting from 2018, and starting from the next tv deal after that (2022/2023?) i would bring in perth pirates and adelaide rams. a lot of juniors do come from new zealand, but they are making their way into the nrl anyway, just like the juniors from the pacific islands, so i'm not sure if we need more teams from nz. maybe eventually we can bring in a team from christchurch, and then a wellington side. i think for now, the warriors should play 50% of their home games in auckland, 25% of their home games in christchurch, and 25% of their home games in wellington.

Last edited:

bobmar28

Bench
i think they would be insane not to bring in 2 more teams in 2018. there should be a second brisbane team (brisbane bombers) and i think they made a mistake not allowing the bears back into the comp (based in gosford) when the northern eagles folded. i would have those 2 clubs (central coast bears and brisbane bombers) in the nrl starting from 2018, and starting from the next tv deal after that (2022/2023?) i would bring in perth pirates and adelaide rams. a lot of juniors do come from new zealand, but they are making their way into the nrl anyway, just like the juniors from the pacific islands, so i'm not sure if we need more teams from nz. maybe eventually we can bring in a team from christchurch, and then a wellington side. i think for now, the warriors should play 50% of their home games in auckland, 25% of their home games in christchurch, and 25% of their home games in wellington.

How about Ipswich Jets and West Coast Pirates?

Another team in an overcrowded NSW market .
So many lols .