What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should NZ become an AFL nation?

SHAGMOP

Juniors
new zealand, our close neighbours to the east are very close to us culturally. they compete in almost all sports that we do and are somethimes give us a run for our money, especially in RU. do u think that they would that we should give them a chance to enter a team (or 2) into the AFL? they would probably be the easiest nation to get involved into AFL for the simple reason they have the ability to follow it. it would make for much interesting change and help in the international growth of the game

dimitri

First Grade
I think they would laugh at the sport more than us sydney siders do

they like the rough and tough stuff of league and union

why would they follow a pansie sport

bazza

Immortal
If you look at big footy - they reckon that AFL is popular in NZ and are planning to enter a side in the AFL

Apparently they play it over there - not sure how many players though. I know NZers over here who have an interest in AFL

incredible_holc

Juniors
haha those bigfooty international people are dreamers :roll: :roll: :roll:

for a country with such a big rugby history they just wouldnt catch onto AFL

salivor

First Grade
AFL is not popular or even thought of in NZ in the slightest. Anyone who thinks the sport could succeed over here has obviously never touched down on our soil and soaked in some of the culture.

dimitri

First Grade
yeah ive read that they reckon the game has a huge following in the south island

but im pretty sure that the only interest would be from victorian expats just like the rest of australia and the world

salivor

First Grade
I'd like to know who their source is dimitri. Canterbury always has been and always will be a very strong Union and Cricket region, Otago is Union mad and League is very popular on the West Coast. There are no AFL strongholds in the South Island lol, I've heard it all now.

dimitri said:
yeah ive read that they reckon the game has a huge following in the south island

but im pretty sure that the only interest would be from victorian expats just like the rest of australia and the world

I live in the south island and as far as winter sports go there are three of them rugby, league and socer with rugby first and soccer second and league just behind soccer.Afl would not feature.

dimitri

First Grade
i can really see the NZ'ers getting behind a sport called

AUSSIE rules

:roll: :roll: :roll:

weasel

First Grade
Why would they want to? I can't believe I'm saying this about New Zealand but the people there really aren't stupid enough. Unfortunately Australia is full of sadomasochists who love voting conservative and watching crap sport. Add enjoying terrible humour and music to that list as well. I do love this country but some things really test my loyalty.

Kakihara

Juniors
i remember when prime tv first came to nz a couple of years ago and would show a couple of afl games a week including a few live games for free like the final.

the ratings must of been so low that they stoppped showing afl and now are a league channel showing all warriors games an extra nrl game and all nz internationals.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
if N.Z become a big time a.f.l nation i will give up on league and start to follow the swans :lol:

even if they do get a team 1 day i think i'll be dead long before that happens.(hopfully) :lol:

SHAGMOP

Juniors
why would anybody outside of australia would want to play australian football

good question. the main reason its called australian football its the game only australia plays. plus american football or gridion was the same idea but gained so much popularity that it was taken to europe where it now has a international league with 6 different countries participating.

In-goal

Bench
I think for people to start taliking about Aussie Rules overseas there clutching at straws.

Rugby League has 4-5 countryies were the game is of reasonable stature atleast.

Australia
England
New Zealand
Papua New Guinea
France (a bit pending this one)

Now that isn't to bad considering that there are only 2 fully proffesional leagues in the world.

dimitri

First Grade
however RUGBY LEAGUE is also going from strength to strength in russia and wales

especially with the welsh conference

and dont forget soon we will probably have 2 fully professional teams in NZ

Bengal

Juniors
Wayne Shwass and some fellow named Croad are two Kiwis that have made it in AFL.

It's an alright game to play(on a f**k around level).