What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Storm be made to have a nsw cup team?

Perth Red

Post Whore
They are getting over $4mill a year extra grant. Would there be benefits to the development of the game in Vic and the nsw cup if they had to field a team of their own instead of the current farcical situation with the Sharks?

Diesel

Referee
Short answer yes.

If the WCP can field a team in SG Ball then there's no reason they can't field a NSW Cup side. How they can share a team with Cronulla is beyond me. Heck even PNG has a team in the QRL & to a lesser degree the Warriors have a team in NSW Cup

Even if a Melbourne side was entered by the VRL in conjunction with the Storm, there needs to be a Victorian pathway from juniors to semi pro to NRL for those that choose not to leave Victoria.

Last edited:

greg

Juniors
Short answer yes.

If the WCP can field a team in SG Ball then there's no reason they can't field a NSW Cup side. How they can share a team with Cronulla is beyond me. Heck even PNG has a team in the QRL & to a lesser degree the Warriors have a team in NSW Cup

Even if a Melbourne side was entered by the VRL in conjunction with the Storm, there needs to be a Victorian pathway from juniors to semi pro to NRL for those that choose not to leave Victoria.

This. Farcical that they don't have one. Storm have one player to my mind who has come through the VRL. Surely that can be improved on with a Melbourne NSW cup side.

thorson1987

Coach
Albury Thunder were supposed to come in to NSW Cup this season.

Haven't been able to find anything on what has happened to that.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
They did have a NSW Cup team in I think 2009 and 2010 but mustve pulled out after the Salary Cap scandal.

I cant see why they wouldnt have one on their own regardless of the where theyre located

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
NSW Cup should become reserve grade, and every NRL club should have a team.

Then every club will have 3 grades, as it once did.

This would make a much better system and transition to first grade from Under 21's.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So if they're losing their NSWRL affiliation does that mean they can no longer field Harold Matts and SG Ball teams?

Son of Minto

Bench

Whats wrong with the 2 Q Cup teams? All the 3 Qld teams use more than 1 Q Cup feeder team and Q Cup is the superior reserve grade comp anyway.

Plus Storm are now getting first choice of all the great up and coming Sunshine Coast talent. Awesome move from Melbourne.

insert.pause

First Grade
More questions need to be asked about where Melbourne, under private ownership, is spending the extra $5.3M a year in funding and how that benefits the game in Victoria.

I don't think it helps the game in Victoria for the Storm to be spending more money on a second Qld Cup side. It seems to me that the game is subsidizing the private owners of the Storm at the expense of grassroots in Victoria.

I appreciate the funding was guaranteed as a way for News Ltd to attract new owners, but with the successful rights negotiation and a NRL grant that covers the cap and some, I find it hard to justify the extra funding without any real benefit to the game at grassroots and its naive of the NRL to think that private owners are going to spend any of it on grassroots when they have one of the highest football club expenditure in the game, they will use it to reduce their annual liability.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Doesn't say anything about losing affiliation so I would say we will still field HM and SG Ball.

It says they will no longer be fielding a team in the NSW Cup. The NSWRL threatened to cut Canberra off from Matts and Ball unless they fielded a team in the NSW Cup, which is why they linked with Mounties. It was the same with Manly and Melbourne - they were forced to play their reserves in the NSW Cup or lose access to the junior rep competitions.

That's why the NSW Cup has caught up to the QLD Cup. Because more NRL teams have been forced to participate. I assume with Melbourne pulling out of the NSW Cup that they have decided to stop spending money on Harold Matts and SG Ball teams. They will probably go with the QLD equivalents.