What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should The Dragons Sign Madge As Coach?

Crush

Coach
It's simple. McCrone is not a premiership winning halfback and Mary is hell bent on selecting him each week.

Nightingale is not a premiership winning fullback.

Dugan will not have the mind-set to bust his gut at fullback or center for the Dragons.

Mary does not have the coaching skills to out-wit the top coaches.

So why waste another season, test our candidates and if they fall short, buy some premiership winning replacements for Dugan, Packer and possibly Lafai, Mann and Milne.

I want the Dragons to:
Win every game each year.
Win the Grand Final each year.
Keep their good players when possible.
Buy great players when possible.
Sign the very best coach available.
Thats some seriously high expectations! Win every game! Win every Grand Final!
No wonder you think its a mess now!

Crush

Coach
i'm responding to the posts across threads that are starting to sing the virtue of jowls after round 12.

examples;

"I reckon he deserves it"

"....give the bloke some credit, he has turned this team into a top 4 team. the players respect him immensely. he now has the team he wants and will be even better next year. he deserves it for sure."

"..what a a difference 12 months can make. humble pie anyone?"

"Dragons will rightly re-sign McGregor. None of us beleived it would happen but then how could you forsee the incredible turn around of form. Mary has the players firing on all cylinders."

and so on....

no where have i suggested macguire is a worthy replacement either.
That last one is mine....for the record

Old Timer

Coach
Sorry pal but being a realist doesn't mean that I am criticizing the club coach.
I agree Price was a disaster and guess what, we tragically did exactly the same thing again when Mary was appointed.
No qualifications, no CV to speak of - still went ahead and threw him the keys to the Ferrari.
I am glad you find the whole coaching disaster since Bennett left so hilarious because I don't.
It's the difference between being all positive about half a dozen wins mid season and winning premierships.
All I am interested is what is best for the club.
I'll throw bouquets when its warranted. For now it's too early.
Hasn't been a florist in the StG area for 7 years so bouquets may be hard to come by.
However you might be able to get wreath at Woronora

and when bennett his parting words were price is the way to go.
OK I won't defend that but we turned around and appointed McGregor straight after.
No FG experience whatsover, no CV just plucked out of thin air.
Surely there must be a better way to find a champion coach to lead this great club.
All that adds up to 5 years of poor coaching and bugger all results with 2017 being the first glimpse of hope.
I want something better - is that so wrong?

Crush

Coach
OK I won't defend that but we turned around and appointed McGregor straight after.
Surely there must be a better way to find a champion coach to lead this great club.
All that adds up to 5 years of poor coaching and bugger all results with 2017 being the first glimpse of hope.
Popular post that I reckon. Expect a like from OV, BTN, Gregstar, J0nesy

jak

Bench
as do I we all live in hope

possm

Coach
What is the reason behind the turn around this year? Get the answer to that question and then it becomes clearer as to whether Mary is the right guy or not? I think Madge is suited to a club that needs a bit of discipline and that worked with Souffs when he got there.

I still can't get over Demetriou going, he turns average team into good ones, improves players and produces an attractive brand of footy. He is on the pathway to a really good coaching career, with the backroom stuff seemingly improving bring him back and get things going.
The question is, what special thing did Mary do to turn this team around?

In my view he did not:
Recruit Vaughan, McInnes and Macdonald for 2017.
Decide to dump his dumb game plans 2014-2016.
Develop the new playing style.
Do a good job with selections and bench management.

JD could have done just as well maybe even better with this squad and playing style.

saintsarealive1

Juniors

In my view he did not:

JD could have done just as well maybe even better with this squad and playing style.

Thats just speculation Possum.
Save your criticism whilst we are playing so well.

Imagine constantly criticising a player who finds great form after a previously 2 poor years (Widdop, Lafai)

We would celebrate their retun to form!

Mary is no different.

Enough is enough

Life's Good

Coach

In my view he did not:

Mary wanted McInness for 2016 so he did in fact recruit him. Vaughan & MacDonald were recruited BEFORE Mary was stripped of the recruitment duties. It's also documented that Mary has coached a less structured style. Honestly, if that was last year I could buy in to your constant Mary bashing but FFS give the guy some credit. Whether that leads to an extension remains to be seen.

Last edited:

deansykes

Juniors
Possm - of course you are entitled to an opinion and i'm not criticising you for it, but here is mine:

It has been well documented that Mary was stripped of many other responsibilities to FOCUS ON COACHING. Last season was rubbish, this season we're playing great footy. Give the guy some credit. Every interview with players they all sing his praises, they want to play for him... he must be doing something right.

Whether he can win a premiership remains to be seen, but that can be said about any coach in the early days. I'm not trying to say he's the saviour and deserves a bloody 10 year taumalolo deal... but try enjoy this season where we are playing great footy rather than finding reasons to diminish it

Crush

Coach

In my view he did not:

That last paragraph is pure speculation.
And to say that Mary has had nothing to do with game plans and playing styles is lunacy. I know you aren't a fan but cmon!
And how can you say he hasn't done a good job with selections? We all doubted his selections. Lafai, McCrone, Aitken....BUT they have turned out to be excellent for us for the most part.
Last week when he picked KFFL I thought NO surely not. It was a good selection though, he played very well.
Bench management I will concede he needs to improve.

Latest posts