What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should the NRL have a magic weekend??

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Should the NRL have a magic weekend. If so, there are only are few venues that will be suitable for one.

- Melbourne Cricket Ground (100,000)
- ANZ Stadium, Sydney (84,000)
- Perth Stadium, Perth (60,000)

In the super league they only get a crowd of about 28,000-35,000 a day.

Should we have one?

axe&smash&crush

Juniors
Yes. Easter magic

Every year exactly the same, no f&#king around. Simple as this. At Homebush

- Good Friday afternoon: Souths v Bulldogs
- Saturday afternoon/night: Dragons v Tigers
- Monday afternoon: Parramatta v Penrith

Penrith works better with parra, so the Tigers can play the dragons.

This idea has been raised before and I'll say now what I did last time, it is a dumb idea. If you hold it in Sydney, you basically disenfranchise the rest of the team's supporter who can't afford the money, or the time (or both) to travel to Sydney to watch their team. Hold it outside of Sydney, you disenfranchise the supporters of the Sydney based teams. In the UK, most of the teams are within an hour or two by car/train of each other. Here in Australia we have teams that have to fly 2 hours every second week.

Next add in the the locals not supporting the "visiting" teams. For example, if it was held in Sydney, does anyone think a Gold Coast v Melbourne game would be a big draw amongst Sydney siders? It works in the UK as the local supporters can travel easily to get there.

Also how would you like to be one of the "home" team supporters who finds out that what could be a marquee game will be at this weekend, thus devaluing their season ticket?

On all those basis I think it a daft idea for the NRL to look at it.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Isn't the Auckland 9s essentially our own version of it?

rabbitohs95

Bench
I like the idea and would love to see it happen but too many logical points debunk it as a success.

I wrote an article on The Roar a few months back bringing up the idea but again the cons are bigger than the pros.

Again, we do have the Nines so I guess that makes up for it.

POPEYE

Coach
Yes they should . . . an interval weekend where the one and only State of Origin game needed to be played is played, the Pacific Nations can have at each other and the Ladies can show us what they're made of

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wouldnt work here. Fans won't travel across Sydney never mind interstate.

I would like to see a double header at the new Perth stadium
Warriors v Souths
Brisbane v Bulldogs

Reckon they could shift 50k Tickets in Perth for this

Marlins

Juniors
Wouldnt work here. Fans won't travel across Sydney never mind interstate.

I would like to see a double header at the new Perth stadium
Warriors v Souths
Brisbane v Bulldogs

Reckon they could shift 50k Tickets in Perth for this
The Nrl could beat fumble and have the first footy match there and double header would make it sweet. Maybe even have the all stars match played there.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Yes. Easter magic

Every year exactly the same, no f&#king around. Simple as this. At Homebush

- Saturday afternoon/night: Dragons v Tigers
- Monday afternoon: Parramatta v Penrith

Penrith works better with parra, so the Tigers can play the dragons.

We also need to tap into the second weekend of Easter which is not the long weekend, but people still go to the Easter Show. So a Saturday and Sunday afternoon games to make it very family friendly on the other weekend of the show. Enough to cover the majority of Sydney clubs as a celebration of Rugby League in Sydney.

Say Roosters vs Panthers (Battle of East v West), Sharks v Sea Eagles (Battle of North and South).

On Easter weekend..

- Saturday afternoon: Dragons v Knights
- Monday afternoon: Parramatta v Tigers