What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should the NRL put another club in Melbourne

With growing jinior numbers growing in Melbourne is it time to think long term and put another NRL club their.
Everything is in place and that way people in Melbourne could watch go to a NRL every week their.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
It'd be nice but I don't see how unless we relegate/relocate a Sydney team at some point in the future.

Assuming the NRL tops out at 18 or 20 teams we've still got to fit Brisbane2, Perth, Adelaide and one of the Sunny Coast/Wellington/Canterbury.

taipan

Referee
The Storm IMO would need to be averaging 20,000 plus ,before another team is considered there.I can't see the Storm owners countenancing it ATM.They will be breaking even when the new monies kick in.
Brisbane and Perth should be considered first.

T-Boon

Coach
Good idea. Its the kind of thing the NRL should be thinking about. It would be a hoot to have 2 Melbourne teams and 1 Brisbane team.

jim_57

Staff member
Not before
  • Perth
  • Brisbane 2
  • NZ 2
  • Storm average 20k+
A 2nd Melbourne team playing some games in Hobart (home or "away") could be good.

alien

Referee
With growing jinior numbers growing in Melbourne is it time to think long term and put another NRL club their.
Everything is in place and that way people in Melbourne could watch go to a NRL every week their.

No way! There should be a Perth team and an Adelaide team before a second Melbourne team!

parrawentyfan

Juniors
I don't think a second team in Melbourne should be a priority just now, but we've seen how well derbies are received and how much a bit of competition heats things up. Certainly, a second Brisbane would make more sense than a second Melbourne (bring back the Crushers for what it's worth).

That said, I read an article the other day where Eddie Jones suggested that in order to strengthen Australian Rugby Union, the ARU should scrap the Force and Rebels, just focussing on the Brumbies, Waratahs and Reds. I don't think that will happen, but.... if it ever does, the NRL should jump in there all guns blazing with their wallet out to bring the Rebels and Force over and change them into NRL teams. Ready made fans, similar sport etc. I imagine there would be a good rivalry between the Rebels and Storm (although some will be fans of both, that will take care of itself over time). It would be a huge kick in the guts to union and give us a head start with these new teams. My only concern is that those teams are centrally run as far as I am aware, so assume that the ARU 'owns' everything to do with them, in terms of licencing, branding etc.

My thinking behind a 2nd NRL Melbourne team is that soccer will have 3rd A-League team in Melbourne within 5 years with the massive amount of junior soccer players in the city and Rugby League can offer the muscular strong kids who don't want to play soccer a pathway into professional sport in the city

alien

Referee
The Melbourne market already has a team, and it's doing fine, but it doesn't need another team. We have a supposed national comp where Perth (that has a population of over 2 million) doesn't have a team, and Adelaide (with a population of over 1.3 million) doesn't have a team. The NRL are nuts!

Either relocate 2 Sydney clubs to Perth and Adelaide

OR

Bring in a new Perth team and a new Adelaide team

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
So Perth Pirates, Brisbane Crushers, Melbourne Sea Eagles, Wellington Roosters, Adelaide Sharks.

T-Boon

Coach
Only way Melbourne 2 could work if RK bought out the Rebels

It is a crazy idea so I like it.
My biggest problem with it is I think the name is pretty lame.
To garner attention in Melbourne the NRL could buy them, then before playing them in the NRL have them play a season or two as an AFL club in a minor league competition. Then make them the first club to have switched through 3 codes. Maybe call them the Melbourne Rebel Code Hoppers.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Ha ha , second Melbourne team, LMAO.

Let's dilute the meagre support for RL in a city that for the most part couldn't give a f**k about rugby league.

Guaranteed success there......

typicalfan

Coach
Melbourne have an okay following. Creating an inter city rivalry may help increase interest but I think we should look at other options first.

Reactions: siv

Latest posts