What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should this be allowed ?

ozbash

Referee
Went to the game last week and took along a ANZAC jersey to get bretty kimorley to sign it (he was captain of that game v cumbria) . am hoping to put it in a frame and hang it on a nail.

anyways,,, couldnt get over the numbers of people hounding players with folders full of league cards, jerseys,balls,boots and other memoribillia.

some players looked embarrased, some pissed off.

went up to the lounge after the game and the same people were there with the same stuff to be signed, laying in wait.

saw a fair amount of the stuff on trademe this week.

should this obvious money making practise be allowed to continue ?
these leeches will stuff it up for the genuine collector and the kids who want a piece of their heros..

what do you think ?

AliN

Live Update Team
yea it's a tough one alright.

There's a definite difference between these guys/girls stacked with cards and so forth hitting up a player than a little kid with eyes wide open after standing so close to a 'star' and having a piece of paper with the player's signature on to cherish.

And the players definitely respond differently.
As you would..

Fast Eddie

First Grade
The serious ones who want to make money out of it would probably start getting their kids to go and get heaps of stuff signed for them so they could sell it.

JoeD

First Grade
it would be up to the players really. If they started recognising the same faces week after week they could say no

mean

Juniors
I suppose putting ...

"Are you one of those shameless scabs that benefits from selling unashamedly sought memorabilia?"

... in the questions to seller section may help?

Martli

Coach
JoeD said:
it would be up to the players really. If they started recognising the same faces week after week they could say no

Yeah it's their own choice.

I think it's obvious when you're signing every piece of memrobilia in the set for someone, the odd signature here in there however is much mroe genuine.

There are some wrestlers who will limit it to one sig per person I think, but again, it's personal choice.

Skinner

Coach
mean said:
I suppose putting ...

"Are you one of those shameless scabs that benefits from selling unashamedly sought memorabilia?"

... in the questions to seller section may help?

:lol: :lol: that's the one mean:D

Skinner

Coach
ozbash said:
Went to the game last week and took along a ANZAC jersey to get bretty kimorley to sign it (he was captain of that game v cumbria) . am hoping to put it in a frame and hang it on a nail.

anyways,,, couldnt get over the numbers of people hounding players with folders full of league cards, jerseys,balls,boots and other memoribillia.

some players looked embarrased, some pissed off.

went up to the lounge after the game and the same people were there with the same stuff to be signed, laying in wait.

saw a fair amount of the stuff on trademe this week.

should this obvious money making practise be allowed to continue ?
these leeches will stuff it up for the genuine collector and the kids who want a piece of their heros..

what do you think ?

You see the same people there at every home game. They pounce as soon as the
First Graders walk in - they don't give them a chance to even sit down.

To be frank, most of them are rude pigs who just expect the players to comply.

The players, of course, feel that (rightly or wrongly) they have an obligation to
sign.

It's difficult, but there is no easy answer without penalising the kids or the gen folks.

Cheers

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
yep those people are most definetl LOSERS.
I've seen players telling them to get lost - especially those who dont know who they are -
they just call out names and expect that player to present themselves.

Scott

Bench
I see absolutely nothing wrong with anyone trying to make a buck in this world.

However, if I was a player I just wouldn't sign anything from someone that I think is a rude merkin.

ozbash

Referee
I see absolutely nothing wrong with anyone trying to make a buck in this world.

fair enough too scotty but these people are basically holding the players to ransom and eventually it will only be fan days where you can get an item signed.

if they go up to a player with 10-20 cards/photos on a clipboard and ask them to sign (a lot dont ask, they just shove it under the players nose) in front of 50 odd people, what can the player do ? he has to sign them other wise the word goes out that he's an arsehole.

its subtle blackmail.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Martli said:
There are some wrestlers who will limit it to one sig per person I think, but again, it's personal choice.

Thats the answer I believe. One (or maybe two or three max) items per fan is plenty for personal memorabilia, the rest is making unecessary work for the players and means that genuine fans get a less enjoyable experience meeting the players because they have to wait in kine while the bloodsuckers finish. The clubs should maybe provide an officer who can attend the signing sessions and make sure a "one per fan" policy applies, at least at vusy signing sessions. I reckon it'd be in everyone's best interests apart for the moneygrubbers.

dazza

Staff member
i remember seeing 1 gut who even had a newspaper clipping, black & white i may add, getting that signed. it pi**ed me off when i was trying to get my boys jumper signed by the eels & these dudes just push in & expected me to wait just because they are there every week doing the same thing. thay have heaps of stuff. cards, clippings from the paper, & other stuff.

they even have the suitcases on wheels full of stuff to sign. there was a guy who gave a heap of stuff to one of his kids to get signed too.

they think they are the only ones allowed to get sigs from the players. i just wanted to smack them upside the head, but i would`ve got booted out.

cheers dazza

Latest posts